Looks like another "Winter Classic"

apuszczalowski

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239172&amp...=headlines_main

Personally I think the appeal of this is going to wear quickly holding one a year. Its going to lose its uniqueness. I also believe doing it once every few years with it being the All-Star game is a better idea since it doesn't effect a regular season game.

They say its going to be the Blackhawks vs. Redwings which is a good choice for an "old-time" feel sinc they are original 6 teams, and that its not confirmed where, either Wrigley or Soldier field.

A Baseball field like Wrigley I feel would be a bad choice just because of the layout of the stands for a baseball field. The views would be horrible, compared to a football field. Plus, I'm sure the NHL would want to maximise its ticket sales and Soldier field can hold alot more people.

I think Wrigley hosting an outdoor game would look more spectacular on TV than Soldier field.

there's no ivy in winter.

they'll stick with a football field because now they have experience in converting it.

Personally I think the appeal of this is going to wear quickly holding one a year. Its going to lose its uniqueness. I also believe doing it once every few years with it being the All-Star game is a better idea since it doesn't effect a regular season game.

They say its going to be the Blackhawks vs. Redwings which is a good choice for an "old-time" feel sinc they are original 6 teams, and that its not confirmed where, either Wrigley or Soldier field.

A Baseball field like Wrigley I feel would be a bad choice just because of the layout of the stands for a baseball field. The views would be horrible, compared to a football field. Plus, I'm sure the NHL would want to maximise its ticket sales and Soldier field can hold alot more people.

ROAD TRIP !!!

Agree 100%.

there's no ivy in winter.

they'll stick with a football field because now they have experience in converting it.

No not at all... Wrigley has a new drainage system that got rid of the ancient and huge crown (if you want to have called it that... More unlevel before) to the playing surface... I am sure it is almost flat now?

Will be way easier to construct a rink than at the Ralph!

Trivia question: Where have the Chicago Bears played most of their games?

ANSWER: Wrigley Field

I lived there a few years and the weather is severe. Much colder and windier than Buffalo.

True.

People always find this hard to believe when I tell them I am from BFLO... The winters are colder and the summers are hotter... BFLO is very much tempered (as is Detroit) by the lake... Which means more snow true... But, less brutal temp swings through the seasons.

I think Wrigley hosting an outdoor game would look more spectacular on TV than Soldier field.

It might look a bit better because its Wrigley, and such a cool looking ball park, but it will be horrible to see it live.

The seating in a Baseball stadium wouldn't work all that well to put a rink in and watch the game. Since a football field is a rectangle like a hockey rink, the seating makes it better to watch something like a hockey game, unlike the V shaped fields for baseball. Plus, Soldier field holds alot more people, meaning more $$$$$$$$ for the NHL

• 1 month later...

Having the game at Wrigley instead of Soldier Field would be dumber than dumb. Smaller capacity, terrible sight lines, etc...

That being said, I fully expect the NHL to ignore thes reasons and have the game at Wrigley for "nostalgic" reasons.

Having the game at Wrigley instead of Soldier Field would be dumber than dumb. Smaller capacity, terrible sight lines, etc...

That being said, I fully expect the NHL to ignore thes reasons and have the game at Wrigley for "nostalgic" reasons.

Maybe the NHL should just adopt the retractable roof idea. Can only open it in the winter tho... up north... when it's cold... and stuff.

Wouldnt the SkyDome fall into that catagory?

New headline on hockeybuzz.com -

Eklund: Sources tell me next NHL Winter Classic to be played at SkyDome due to retractable roof. (e5)

New headline on hockeybuzz.com -

Eklund: Sources tell me next NHL Winter Classic to be played at SkyDome due to retractable roof. (e5)

You obviously don't know that site vey well. It would read more like

Eklund: Sources tell me the NHL will hold another outdoor hockey game next year in a cold weather climate, stay tuned as I dig up more details (e5)

$50 says Bettman is pushing to hold an outdoor game in Tampa or Phoenix in the next 5 years, to try and jumpstart hockey there

Archived