Surprising move by Buffalo???

Claude Balls

I don't know if these guys will be seeing the ice in Rochester, but all three were sent down today. This surprised me just because seeing how the affiliation is all but over, why would they do that. Especially if these guys play, there is the risk of injury in a handful of meaningless games with Rochester.

In another not so surprising move, the Sabres dropped Kostka from his ATO alredy. I guess one game was all they needed to see from him.

Anyways, I'll be at the Amerks game tonight and I will be shocked if all three of these guys are dressed. Although watching Kaleta a few more times would be worth it.

I don't know if these guys will be seeing the ice in Rochester, but all three were sent down today. This surprised me just because seeing how the affiliation is all but over, why would they do that. Especially if these guys play, there is the risk of injury in a handful of meaningless games with Rochester.

In another not so surprising move, the Sabres dropped Kostka from his ATO alredy. I guess one game was all they needed to see from him.

Anyways, I'll be at the Amerks game tonight and I will be shocked if all three of these guys are dressed. Although watching Kaleta a few more times would be worth it.

Is Rochester out of the playoffs? MAybe there is some financial reason? Maybe they want them to get more experience, or maybe they wanted to play..

Why not? Let them get as many hockey games under their belt as much as possible. No major risk of injury as you have 6 months to recover. Beside, they can no longer make money playing for the Sabres this year, so let them get a few extra wages from the AHL team, which I'm well aware is far less than what they would get in the NHL, but hey, $500 for a game isn't bad, right?

Edit: It's probably more like $100 per game right? How much do AHL players make per game? Far less than when they are in the NHL. Anyone know?

Why not? Let them get as many hockey games under their belt as much as possible. No major risk of injury as you have 6 months to recover. Beside, they can no longer make money playing for the Sabres this year, so let them get a few extra wages from the AHL team, which I'm well aware is far less than what they would get in the NHL, but hey, $500 for a game isn't bad, right?

Edit: It's probably more like $100 per game right? How much do AHL players make per game? Far less than when they are in the NHL. Anyone know?

All depends on their contracts, but I would think it would have to be worth for these guys to take the risk. I know the minimum in the AHL is quite low. Plenty of guys making under 100K.

Is Rochester out of the playoffs? MAybe there is some financial reason? Maybe they want them to get more experience, or maybe they wanted to play..

The guys benefit from the experienced, they probably have already been paid and Kostka still has his two year contract which takes effect in September. Him and Whitmore both signed two year deals than played for ATO before returning to school to finish classes.

Including tonight the Amerks have 5 games remaining. I'm guessing the Sabres think it wouldn't hurt to get their guys a little more playing time before letting out for the summer.

This surprised me just because seeing how the affiliation is all but over, why would they do that.

How does what city their minor league team plays in, matter in a move to further develop prospects? It's not like the citizens of Rochester are the exclusive beneficiary of this transaction. I just don't know what difference it make if they were being sent to Rochester or Timbuktu.

How does what city their minor league team plays in, matter in a move to further develop prospects? It's not like the citizens of Rochester are the exclusive beneficiary of this transaction. I just don't know what difference it make if they were being sent to Rochester or Timbuktu.

I'm just saying because of all the hate between between Buffalo and fatboy Donner, it doesn't seem like it would happen. And doesn't Cunney have the final say in who plays and who doesn't anyways? He hasn't been to happy with upper management either.

I'm all for it, it might make the game interesting tonight against Syracuse.

I like what Quinn said about going after the Rochester market now that they wont have to worry about stepping on tyoes...LOL..

LQ is just an idiot. It won't make that much of a difference no matter who is the parent club of the Amerks. Roch has its hardcore fans and there are also the hardcore Sabres fans that travel. If whoever takes over the Amerks puts a competitive team on the ice, the Amerks will be fine with attendence here. If anything I think less people will travel to Buffalo now because part of the draw was being able to watch the young guys here and then see them in Buffalo. Good luck Larry.

LQ is just an idiot. It won't make that much of a difference no matter who is the parent club of the Amerks. Roch has its hardcore fans and there are also the hardcore Sabres fans that travel. If whoever takes over the Amerks puts a competitive team on the ice, the Amerks will be fine with attendence here. If anything I think less people will travel to Buffalo now because part of the draw was being able to watch the young guys here and then see them in Buffalo. Good luck Larry.

I agree LQ is an idiot but he is less of an idiot than Donner..

My question exactly.

These kids are young. Get them as much ice time as you can get them. They will still have 4-1/2 months before camp opens to get over any little nagging injuries.

What did he say?

He was in Rochester for a function and he said that now that there is not going to be an affiliation with the Amerks they would market the Rochester area more than they have in the past, they arent worried about stepping on anyones toes in that area any more..I was surprised to hear it.

It has to be more than that right? That's like $8200 a year! I do know they get paid peanuts though but guys with two way contracts usually will have a better salary than minor league contracts even when they are in the minors.

My in-laws when they moved down to Houston lived in an apartment for a while and lived above a Houston Aeros player and he was paid much less than what you think - he was somewhere in the $50,000 to $70,000 range... Which works out to a little less than $1000 per game. But still, more than $100.

And I agree it's a good idea to get more ice time...

My in-laws when they moved down to Houston lived in an apartment for a while and lived above a Houston Aeros player and he was paid much less than what you think - he was somewhere in the $50,000 to $70,000 range... Which works out to a little less than $1000 per game. But still, more than $100.

I want to meet the person who thinks minor league players get paid a lot of money.

It has to be more than that right? That's like $8200 a year! I do know they get paid peanuts though but guys with two way contracts usually will have a better salary than minor league contracts even when they are in the minors.

And I agree it's a good idea to get more ice time...

I have no idea what low level AHL players get but all these guys are on two way contracts and while they don't get their 500k they don't do that bad. A quick google shows that in 1997, average salary in AHL was mid $30's. I am sure it is considerably more today.

I am also quite sure that Weber, Sekera and Kaleta get nothing for playing these games. I am pretty sure they get their last checks at the end of March.

I don't know which college players just signed with an NHL team(I saw it somewhere earlier today), but I believe it was close to the maximum contract allowed for them and their NHL salary would be 850k a year and their AHL salary would be 62,500 per year.

He was in Rochester for a function and he said that now that there is not going to be an affiliation with the Amerks they would market the Rochester area more than they have in the past, they arent worried about stepping on anyones toes in that area any more..I was surprised to hear it.

Thanks.

LW is a walking PR disaster. If you need someone to say the absolute worst thing possible at the worst time - Larry's your guy. (Not saying that's what this was, but it seems that every time he opens his mouth in public he pisses off the majority of the people who hear him.)

Archived