The new D men

Team Strike Force

I think we need to be careful about our excitement with Sekera and Weber. They definitely stepped up and helped the defense out, while providing glimpses of a bright future.

At the same time, these guys were rookies and largely unknown to their opponents. If they're with Buffalo from the start next year, a strong possility with the likely (hopeful) departure of Kalinin, the oppostion will have more time to find weakness in their game. They'll have more of a difficult time operating they way they did in the last month.

Drew Stafford went through the same thing. I was gay for him last year, but we all know what happened this season. I still think he's going to be good, but that depends on him overcoming the adjustments teams made for him.

Sekera and Weber will have to do the same thing next year, and the process may not be pretty. I'm hoping that they'll be top 4 defensemen by 2010, but not necessarily next year.

I think we need to be careful about our excitement with Sekera and Weber. They definitely stepped up and helped the defense out, while providing glimpses of a bright future.

At the same time, these guys were rookies and largely unknown to their opponents. If they're with Buffalo from the start next year, a strong possility with the likely (hopeful) departure of Kalinin, the oppostion will have more time to find weakness in their game. They'll have more of a difficult time operating they way they did in the last month.

Drew Stafford went through the same thing. I was gay for him last year, but we all know what happened this season. I still think he's going to be good, but that depends on him overcoming the adjustments teams made for him.

Sekera and Weber will have to do the same thing next year, and the process may not be pretty. I'm hoping that they'll be top 4 defensemen by 2010, but not necessarily next year.

I agree that there will be a learning curve, however I dont think the Stafford comparison is real fair. Yes he did not produce like some of us hoped he would, but he also had a pretty injury riddled season. It just seemed like whenever he really started to get going he would get injured again. Only time will tell, but I think that had a lot to do with his relative lack of production this season.

Sekera is going to be fine. His game is skating and as long as he can do that.

While Weber has shown some nice things on both trips up, he has to play a smart game because if he gets caught flat-footed high, he doesn't really have the recovery speed. If the team can get 17-18 minutes out of him a night next year, that would be success. Upside a little more limited.

I agree that there will be a learning curve, however I dont think the Stafford comparison is real fair. Yes he did not produce like some of us hoped he would, but he also had a pretty injury riddled season. It just seemed like whenever he really started to get going he would get injured again. Only time will tell, but I think that had a lot to do with his relative lack of production this season.

Maybe his locker is next to Timmy, anyone know the lineup in there?

Sekera does have that extra year under his belt, which really helps him with that learning curve that has been mentioned. I think a big part of them stepping up with a solid effort has a lot to do with emotion. They went from playing for nothing for a good portion of the year in Rochester, then were finally thrown into meaningful games and a playoff race with Buffalo. That sense of importance has to be a major boost to their morale.

Agreed, proceeding cautiously is always a good idea when it comes to defensemen because that is the one position that all of Hockey agree's takes players years to develop to their full potential. Add to that the right player in the wrong system or with the wrong partner can also go backwards in their development and it's easy to understand why defensemen rarely if ever come right outta the draft and make a huge impact in the league....

Good trivia question for the board.... Was there an impact rookie defensemen that came right from being drafted to significant impact in NHL and on their team in their first season and who was/is it ?

Agreed, proceeding cautiously is always a good idea when it comes to defensemen because that is the one position that all of Hockey agree's takes players years to develop to their full potential. Add to that the right player in the wrong system or with the wrong partner can also go backwards in their development and it's easy to understand why defensemen rarely if ever come right outta the draft and make a huge impact in the league....

Good trivia question for the board.... Was there an impact rookie defensemen that came right from being drafted to significant impact in NHL and on their team in their first season and who was/is it ?

Phil Housley -- drafted by the Sabres in 1982 at age 18, had 19-47-66 in his rookie year.

I cannot agree more that defenseman is one of the tougher positions to get the hang of. I've been really impressed with the combination of Sekera and Weber. They play really strong together. I do not see them being a top 4 pairing next year, but I think they need to get ice time and work themselves into the lineup on a regular basis. They are going to make mistakes, but they're young and they bring a solid game together where Sekera can pinch and skate while Weber can play well and cover for Sekera's offense and block shots in the defensive zone and make the good clearing pass. I think these two guys could eventually be better than both McKee and Campbell in that Weber is a bit better offensively than McKee and Sekera is a bit better defensively than Campbell. So, we'll see how these guys turn out, but I like them a lot and hope they will be firmly part of the future of the Sabres.

As for defenseman who have made an impact? Well, I think the most recent to win the Calder Trophy was Barrett Jackman, but he was 21. Before Jackman was Bryan Berard who won it at the age of 19. Before that were Brian Leetch at 20 and Gary Suter at 21 and of course Bourque at 19. Aside from Berard and Bourque, most of these guys were a little older, so it definitely takes a while for defenseman to develop.

I think they will be just fine...they both are already better options than Kalinin...

Archived