The 10 lost Points

stuhast41

Nov 28th vs Stl:

Up 2-0 @ home 5 minutes left in the 2nd: 4-3 regulation Boyes :58 sec remaining. Regulation L. (-2 points)

Dec 28th @ NJ:

Up 1-0 6:28 in the 3rd: Motteau- Puck bouncing off the backboards. 2-1 SOL. (-1 point)

Jan 12th vs NJ:

Up 2-0 13:47 in the 2nd: Clarkson ties it with :67 remaining in the 3rd. 3-2 SOL. (-1 point)

Feb 1st @ Atl:

Up 4-3 :17 sec remaining in the 3rd: Enstrom 5-3 goal - 2 great penalties. 5-4 SOL. (-1 point)

Feb 8th vs Bos:

Up 2-0 start of the 3rd: Kessel fans on it in the shootout- beats Miller. 3-2 SOL. (-1 point)

THE 3 GRAND FINALES:

Feb 28th vs Phi:

Up 3-0 1st period: Briere wins it in a shootout. 4-3 SOL. (-1 point)

Mar 25th vs Ott:

Up 3-1 3rd period on the PP 7:50 remaining: What's it all about Alfie? 6-3 Ott. Regulation L. (-2 points)

Mar 28th vs Mon:

Up 3-1 with 3 min in the 3rd: Big Al with a smart penalty. 4-3 L OT. (-1 points (plus 2 for Mon))

So there you have it. 10 points p*ssed away. Remove the 2 Montreal points from the Mar 28th game and GUESS who is 2nd in the conference and 1st in the Northeast Division with 96 points!???

That's Right: YOUR 2007-08 Buffalo Sabres!

Nov 28th vs Stl:

Up 2-0 @ home 5 minutes left in the 2nd: 4-3 regulation Boyes :58 sec remaining. Regulation L. (-2 points)

Dec 28th @ NJ:

Up 1-0 6:28 in the 3rd: Motteau- Puck bouncing off the backboards. 2-1 SOL. (-1 point)

Jan 12th vs NJ:

Up 2-0 13:47 in the 2nd: Clarkson ties it with :67 remaining in the 3rd. 3-2 SOL. (-1 point)

Feb 1st @ Atl:

Up 4-3 :17 sec remaining in the 3rd: Enstrom 5-3 goal - 2 great penalties. 5-4 SOL. (-1 point)

Feb 8th vs Bos:

Up 2-0 start of the 3rd: Kessel fans on it in the shootout- beats Miller. 3-2 SOL. (-1 point)

THE 3 GRAND FINALES:

Feb 28th vs Phi:

Mar 25th vs Ott:

Up 3-1 3rd period on the PP 7:50 remaining: What's it all about Alfie? 6-3 Ott. Regulation L. (-2 points)

Mar 28th vs Mon:

Up 3-1 with 3 min in the 3rd: Big Al with a smart penalty. 4-3 L OT. (-1 points (plus 2 for Mon))

So there you have it. 10 points p*ssed away. Remove the 2 Montreal points from the Mar 28th game and GUESS who is 2nd in the conference and 1st in the Northeast Division with 96 points!???

Why torture yourself?

Last year, we won the majority of OT/SO games. This year, no. Thin line to be sure. Difference makers all. My hope is that they'll stew about it ALL summer long and LEARN from it. But I tend to be a half-full type.

GO SABRES!!!

Why torture yourself?

Last year, we won the majority of OT/SO games. This year, no. Thin line to be sure. Difference makers all. My hope is that they'll stew about it ALL summer long and LEARN from it. But I tend to be a half-full type.

GO SABRES!!!

This exercise points out, even with all the doom and gloom, if we hold on to these games, the drop off from last year isnt that severe - the blown leads show a leadership/mental toughness void. Hmmm...wonder where that came from?

This exercise points out, even with all the doom and gloom, if we hold on to these games, the drop off from last year isnt that severe - the blown leads show a leadership/mental toughness void. Hmmm...wonder where that came from?

I'm gonna blame it on LQ....Him and Kotalik. Those two are pretty good whipping boys.

Exactly. We pissed away so many points this year in games we seemingly had control of that I can't even look at the debacle that is our SO record.

Three biggest culprits:

1. Blown leads

2. Home record

3. SO record

Agree entirely. And that's why I think this might be a blessing in the long run. Briere and Drury weren't team leaders before they became team leaders in Buffalo, Drury's success with the Avalanche aside. But this current team is a LOT more talented than what they had in Buffalo in say '03-'04.

I also think Lydman mailed it in this year due to the Teppo situation. And that lent itself to Tallinder's problems. Toni is gone, IMO. These were two vets being counted on to bridge a leadership gap but didn't. And that's ALWAYS more pronounced in the defensive end.

Like Miller said, half this squad played in two consecutive ECFs. Better than half played on a Presiden't Cup team less than a year ago. STILL one of the highest scoring teams in the league. STILL in position to have claimed those very points you alluded to that would have had them contending (again) for the EC championship.

Management decisions aside, there is a LOT to like about this group.

GO SABRES!!!

Exactly. We pissed away so many points this year in games we seemingly had control of that I can't even look at the debacle that is our SO record.

Three biggest culprits:

1. Blown leads

2. Home record

3. SO record

Yep. The Shootout losses don't even bother me that much - it's kind of a crap shoot. It's HOW they got to a shootout that makes me cringe.

Nov 28th vs Stl:

Dec 28th @ NJ:

Jan 12th vs NJ:

Feb 1st @ Atl:

Feb 8th vs Bos:

THE 3 GRAND FINALES:

Feb 28th vs Phi:

Mar 25th vs Ott:

Mar 28th vs Mon:

While I do think that we've lost more points than we've stolen, there are the two Tampa Bay games where they came from behind to win. There was also a Carolina game where they were down a pair and forced OT to get a point, and a game against Philly where they tied it late and won in a SO. This is off the top of my head. There might have been more.

I guess my point is that the extreme games are the ones that stand out. But that doesn't mean that getting swept by the Rangers and Pens didn't contribute at least equally to the Sabres demise. Let's not forget getting blown out by the Kings in LA, and getting swept by the Islanders in a home-and-home to open the season.

There were just too many nights where this team, for whatever reason, was flat out beaten by their opponents. And I think that's the biggest culprit.

The fact that they blew 2 goal leads this year with regularity is extremely disturbing in regard to the current leadership on this team. There were symptoms of this last year - giving up multiple goal leads - yet they would always pull out the W in the end. IMO it points to veteran leadership and intanglibles. As we know, too much of that goodness walked out the door over the past two years. Maybe Roy and Pommer will evolve into those roles, but right now, those guys are not there.

The development of that "leadership quality" is just the most diffucult thing to predict in a player. Maybe a year out of the playoffs will give the young guys some perspective on consistency, dedication and focus for 60 minutes of each game not 55 as we've seen so often lately.

Agree entirely. And that's why I think this might be a blessing in the long run. Briere and Drury weren't team leaders before they became team leaders in Buffalo, Drury's success with the Avalanche aside. But this current team is a LOT more talented than what they had in Buffalo in say '03-'04.

I also think Lydman mailed it in this year due to the Teppo situation. And that lent itself to Tallinder's problems. Toni is gone, IMO. These were two vets being counted on to bridge a leadership gap but didn't. And that's ALWAYS more pronounced in the defensive end.

Like Miller said, half this squad played in two consecutive ECFs. Better than half played on a Presiden't Cup team less than a year ago. STILL one of the highest scoring teams in the league. STILL in position to have claimed those very points you alluded to that would have had them contending (again) for the EC championship.

Management decisions aside, there is a LOT to like about this group.

GO SABRES!!!

I agree with the blessing in disguise. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two or more forward. Toward the end of this season several players have stepped up. This should only help with returning the Sabres back to the top of the league. Players that need to move on at this point IMO, Kotalik, Max, Lydman, Tallinder, and Kalinin. Some replacements can be found within the organization and some will have to be signed as free agents.

Not really sure what the Teppo situation has to do with Lydman's play. If you are talking about the way Teppo was treated, then why would he comeback and play for them if he felt he was wrongly treated?

The Sabres will be back next year and challenging for the top spot in the East and will be considered a strong cup contender. Bring on the doom and gloom.

I agree with the blessing in disguise. Sometimes you have to take a step back to take two or more forward. Toward the end of this season several players have stepped up. This should only help with returning the Sabres back to the top of the league. Players that need to move on at this point IMO, Kotalik, Max, Lydman, Tallinder, and Kalinin. Some replacements can be found within the organization and some will have to be signed as free agents.

Not really sure what the Teppo situation has to do with Lydman's play. If you are talking about the way Teppo was treated, then why would he comeback and play for them if he felt he was wrongly treated?

The Sabres will be back next year and challenging for the top spot in the East and will be considered a strong cup contender. Bring on the doom and gloom.

Teppo and Toni are tight. Fellow countrymen and all. I can't believe ANY player in the league, let alone on the team, let alone one who speaks the same language, is happy with how management treated Teppo. That Teppo came back at all is a matter of getting paid after team doctors cleared him to play. I also think it's related to his grievance filed through the NHLPA.

GO SABRES!!!

For as many games as this team lost that they were in, there were games that they won that they shouldn't have.

Here you go, courtesy of Mike Harrington on the Sabres Edge blog:

Here's the list:

1). Oct. 15 vs. Toronto (down 2-0 after two; won in OT, 5-4)

2). Oct. 27 at Tampa Bay (down 2-0 in second; won in OT, 4-3)

3). Feb. 20 vs. Tampa Bay (down 3-1 in third; won in OT, 4-3)

4) March 19 vs. Tampa (down 4-1 after two; won, 7-4)

5). April 1 at Toronto (down 2-0 after one; won, 4-3, in shootout)

First off, it's pretty sad that the last two games on that list came in the stretch run when the team came out flat while fighting for their playoff lives.

Second, it's sad that three comebacks came against the Lightning. Tortorella may, as someone suggested in the GDT, burn down HSBC if that happens again next year.

The way I see it is comeback games are essentially bonus points, but a blown lead (especially the ones blown late in the game) are points that were within the team's grasp but they let them slip away. I feel like those lost points hurt much more than stealing points in a comeback feels.

Just my .02...

First off, it's pretty sad that the last two games on that list came in the stretch run when the team came out flat while fighting for their playoff lives.

Second, it's sad that three comebacks came against the Lightning. Tortorella may, as someone suggested in the GDT, burn down HSBC if that happens again next year.

The way I see it is comeback games are essentially bonus points, but a blown lead (especially the ones blown late in the game) are points that were within the team's grasp but they let them slip away. I feel like those lost points hurt much more than stealing points in a comeback feels.

Just my .02...

As I have said before, every team in the league can point to lost or blown points. Its why there is a long season and as people say, the creme rises to the top.

Just my .02...

There's a reason the comebacks were against TO and TB. Both teams are very bad this year. Assuming Harrington's list is complete for teams the Sabres did come back against, it's telling that there are no playoff teams on that list.

I'd say I can excuse 2 blown 2 goal leads in a single season (POSSIBLY 3 if there are extenuating circumstances); anything over that is not acceptable. Having done it once every 10 games (on average) is proof this team has plenty of room for improvement. Shootouts are a lucky bounce here or there; 7 blown 2 goal leads and 1 blown 3 goal lead hopefully will get the tweaks to the roster that are necessary.

I contend not from them two (CD and DB)... What kinda leader bolts? Leaders don't bolt even with their own personal issues they had with management. They blew games last year... It is just that they got lucky on a lot of those one point win comebacks.

IMO, same team minus two players (of course they were important... But, not that much).

I really wish they would have stayed for one more year... You'd see what a horseshoe they had up their arse... We will never know, the debate will rage on.

It is what it is...

Just throwing these numbers out there:

Trailing after 1st - 10-15-4, .345 win % (5th best in NHL)

Trailing after 2nd - 6-24-4, .176 win % (11th in NHL)

Trailing Link

Leading after 1st - 19-2-3 .792 win % (9th in NHL)

Leading after 2nd - 23-1-5, .793 win % (24th in NHL)

Leading Link

I contend not from them two (CD and DB)... What kinda leader bolts? Leaders don't bolt even with their own personal issues they had with management. They blew games last year... It is just that they got lucky on a lot of those one point win comebacks.

IMO, same team minus two players (of course they were important... But, not that much).

I really wish they would have stayed for one more year... You'd see what a horseshoe they had up their arse... We will never know, the debate will rage on.

It is what it is...

I am hopeful that debate rages on in your head only.

Nov 28th vs Stl:

Dec 28th @ NJ:

Jan 12th vs NJ:

Feb 1st @ Atl:

Feb 8th vs Bos:

THE 3 GRAND FINALES:

Feb 28th vs Phi:

Mar 25th vs Ott:

Mar 28th vs Mon:

Why is your thread titled "blown road losses" when 6 of the 8 games you cite were at home. :blink: :blink:

As I have said before, every team in the league can point to lost or blown points. Its why there is a long season and as people say, the creme rises to the top.

I couldn't agree more. Many teams can point to lost or blown leads and talk about how their seasons would be so different. The best teams can point to those same games and say that they were able to win some games late and hold on to a few leads.

I know it's a different sport, but if you look at all the games that the Dolphins had that were decided by 3 points or less and convert them all to Miami wins, they start out the season 6-5 instead of 0-11. They were clearly the worst team in the league and it was because they were bad. They lost all those 3 point games because when it counted, they couldn't put the extra couple percent out and pull a victory out. As Tom mentioned above, the teams that don't let this happen are the best teams. Just because the Sabres didn't hold those leads doesn't mean anything other than the fact that they weren't able to hold those leads and are sitting exactly where they belong... Sucks but that's the truth...

While I do think that we've lost more points than we've stolen, there are the two Tampa Bay games where they came from behind to win. There was also a Carolina game where they were down a pair and forced OT to get a point, and a game against Philly where they tied it late and won in a SO. This is off the top of my head. There might have been more.

I guess my point is that the extreme games are the ones that stand out. But that doesn't mean that getting swept by the Rangers and Pens didn't contribute at least equally to the Sabres demise. Let's not forget getting blown out by the Kings in LA, and getting swept by the Islanders in a home-and-home to open the season.

There were just too many nights where this team, for whatever reason, was flat out beaten by their opponents. And I think that's the biggest culprit.

Good post. While it's true that "if only we hadn't blown those 3 or 4 games, we'd be in X slot in the conference", this team just didn't show up far too many times to be taken seriously as a contender this year. I don't mean that they aren't good enough to be a contender. They just don't have it upstairs. Teams with great leaders play hard every night (or almost every night) and every shift because they know that every point counts.

Archived