At the top of the league in scoring & no playoffs???

Claude Balls

How do you score so many goals and not make the playoffs??? By the other teams scoring more than your team. We all knew the defense was going to be questionable, but they have been downright awful when they needed to step up. Injuries don't matter either because the guys out suck too. Keep Spacek and ship everyone else, f-it ship him too, he gets hurt from sneezing too hard.

Miller Miller, Miller, wtf are you down in the butterfly on a 60ft shot from the blueline? Miller failed miserably when his team needed him the most. Tonight may have been his worst game of the year.

This team needs to get some much needed toughness this off season, along with a better defense (obviously), they need better goaltending from Miller somehow. Maybe get a backup that can actually play so Miller isn't out there 30 games in a row. Keep Roy, Pommers, Vanek and Kaleta. That's all I would worry about keeping around.

Wtf, now I gotta watch baseball for 5 months.

How do you score so many goals and not make the playoffs??? By the other teams scoring more than your team. We all knew the defense was going to be questionable, but they have been downright awful when they needed to step up. Injuries don't matter either because the guys out suck too. Keep Spacek and ship everyone else, f-it ship him too, he gets hurt from sneezing too hard.

Miller Miller, Miller, wtf are you down in the butterfly on a 60ft shot from the blueline? Miller failed miserably when his team needed him the most. Tonight may have been his worst game of the year.

This team needs to get some much needed toughness this off season, along with a better defense (obviously), they need better goaltending from Miller somehow. Maybe get a backup that can actually play so Miller isn't out there 30 games in a row. Keep Roy, Pommers, Vanek and Kaleta. That's all I would worry about keeping around.

Blame it not being able to score a goal when under pressure. We're pretty good at running it up, but not getting the equalizer with 8 seconds left in the third... :angry:

Blame it not being able to score a goal when under pressure. We're pretty good at running it up, but not getting the equalizer with 8 seconds left in the third... :angry:

The Sabres are like the Yankees of hockey. The only way to win is to outscore your opponents because they have no pitching, which transfers to goaltending and defense in hockey, to keep the other team off the board.

that's exactly what i said. does he even pay attention, or does he just guess where the puck is gonna go? and how many times this game i saw miller diving around on the ground for no reason was ridiculous.

his whole season has been terrible.

he's not the goalie everybody thought he was.

he doesn't make "THE CLUTCH SAVE" and he doesn't make the shootout saves.

go to detroit, we want norronen back.

Not to rain on a good Miller bash session, but did anyone else notice that Vanek redirected that shot from the blueline? Nah, it's got to be that Miller just misplayed it.

Not to rain on a good Miller bash session, but did anyone else notice that Vanek redirected that shot from the blueline? Nah, it's got to be that Miller just misplayed it.

I thought the shot by Alfredson to tie the game was tipped by Pomminstein. Couldn't tell. RJ said it was a perfect shot but I think Pommer tipped it and it just had eyes

I thought the shot by Alfredson to tie the game was tipped by Pomminstein. Couldn't tell. RJ said it was a perfect shot but I think Pommer tipped it and it just had eyes

I actually thought it was a double-screen goal. I don't think Miller saw the pass get back to Alfie and and I don't think he got a clean look at the shot.

the answer is simple: leadership and mental toughness. this team has none. We used to have plenty, but it's now residing in NY and Philly. And for everyone kicking Briere on his way out the door, and avowing how much better roy is than Briere -- guess what: Briere is going to the playoffs, and we're not. And if we had Briere this year, we'd be going to the playoffs. I don't want to hear about Roy. He's a good player, and I'm glad we have him. But there's a reason Lindy hasn't made him a captain this year. He doesn't have it, at least not yet.

You don't let the guts of your team get ripped out and pretend everything is fine because you have a lot of nifty young players. You just don't. The NHL is a very tough league. It was obvious what was going to happen this year, and it was obvious what was happening as it was happening. That's why Golisano, Quinn and Darcy should be embarrassed in front of the hockey world. They had a great team and they let it completely go to pieces. Everyone can see that we are talented, and everyone can see that we have no idea how to win. That's why you don't sit there with your thumb up your ass and let your captains leave.

Ridiculous.

the answer is simple: leadership and mental toughness. this team has none. We used to have plenty, but it's now residing in NY and Philly. And for everyone kicking Briere on his way out the door, and avowing how much better roy is than Briere -- guess what: Briere is going to the playoffs, and we're not. And if we had Briere this year, we'd be going to the playoffs. I don't want to hear about Roy. He's a good player, and I'm glad we have him. But there's a reason Lindy hasn't made him a captain this year. He doesn't have it, at least not yet.

You don't let the guts of your team get ripped out and pretend everything is fine because you have a lot of nifty young players. You just don't. The NHL is a very tough league. It was obvious what was going to happen this year, and it was obvious what was happening as it was happening. That's why Golisano, Quinn and Darcy should be embarrassed in front of the hockey world. They had a great team and they let it completely go to pieces. Everyone can see that we are talented, and everyone can see that we have no idea how to win. That's why you don't sit there with your thumb up your ass and let your captains leave.

Ridiculous.

Fantastic post, n.

It was defelected, but why the hell was he down in the butterfly with a shot coming from so far out? If he stayed upright like goaltenders normally do with point shots, he would have had a better chance of at least blocking the shot. I am a Miller supporter, but he was garbage tonight.

I don't blame Miller. A lot of those shots were off the post and in. He's not to blame

Why is it other teams shots that hit the post always seem to go in and when the Sabres hit the post, the damn puck comes flying right off it? I think LQ is making the Sabres practice with that retarded oversized net he designed so when it comes to gametime with normal sized nets, the Sabres have to readjust to the smaller target.

It was defelected, but why the hell was he down in the butterfly with a shot coming from so far out? If he stayed upright like goaltenders normally do with point shots, he would have had a better chance of at least blocking the shot. I am a Miller supporter, but he was garbage tonight.

Because the shot was coming low off Volchenkov's stick, and was redirected high. Butterfly goalies go down to make shooters beat them high.

And garbage is such a ridiculous word to use here. He should have stopped the 5th goal, and maybe the first, but you give Alfie a free run from the slot with the defense backing up and he''s going to make a lot of goalies look bad. The first goal he looked like he went down a hair too early, but Schubert made a great shot.

Because the shot was coming low off Volchenkov's stick, and was redirected high. Butterfly goalies go down to make shooters beat them high.

And garbage is such a ridiculous word to use here. He should have stopped the 5th goal, and maybe the first, but you give Alfie a free run from the slot with the defense backing up and he''s going to make a lot of goalies look bad. The first goal he looked like he went down a hair too early, but Schubert made a great shot.

Okay, maybe garbage is a little harsh. How about trash, is that better? Hey I'm pissed and I'm venting, but I still think Miller should be this teams goalie for the next few years anyways. I think his play has been struggling due to the fact he hasn't had a night off in how long now, 30 straight games? And how many of those games were OT and shootouts? That's just crazy.

Isn't that how most sports work?

I hope your just being sarcastic and you really understood what I meant by that. The Sabres and the Yankees aren't built to win 3-2, 2-1 or 1-0 nothing games. When I say outscore I mean put up a big number. If you're going to give up 3,4,5 every night, that's a lot of goals you better be scoring if you want to win.

And no, golf doesn't work that way. ;-)

Ridiculous.

Guts? Maybe? When those players decided to leave they proved they were far from being the heart of the team. If Drury and Briere had heart they would have stayed to finish what they started. They both could have signed and decided to leave. So, if you want to cry, go cry to them.

If you want we can live in fan world. Where we ignore that the Sabres went for broke last season and came up short, with Drury and Briere.

It looks like the fans will be divided in two. One side where every decision made by the Sabres is wrong and every thing would have been perfect if they would have done the opposite. And then there is the real world. Where fans realize this is a young team with talented players and a bright future.

Did you say "embarrassed"? Take a closer look at where this team came from. But I guess the reality of this team, at one point, being run by the league is lost on some.

good point. it's a stat that doesn't lie and cannot be massaged away.

Miller has been average. You can say that his GGA is similar to last season, but I'm talking about critical situations. Last year and especially the year before, Miller was fantastic in critical situations. He stole games.

When was the last time you felt that Miller stole a game for us?

...yup...

Now how many times did an opposing goalie steal a game for 'them'?

exactly.

Our D wasn't great but it wasn't abysmal, either. We need more toughness and less finesse back there. We need a couple righties.

And we had better find a backup goalie, cuz Thibault has had one good game this year and the rest have been weak at best.

This was the clincher. Win out AND get help?

I think it's too much to ask.

Anyone wanna talk draft?

sigh

I am a Miller supporter and I will be the first one to say that that was an awful third period for him as well as the whole team. What I dont think alot of people think about is what happens before most of those goals. Like how the Senators totally outworked the Sabres downlow to get the puck up to Volchenkov for his goal and also on Alfies first. Whether it was tipped or not or whether Miller shoul have made the save or not to me is irrelevant becasue the puck shouldnt have been on Volchenkov's stick. A team supposedly fighting for its playoff life should get the puck out. To me you dont blame the defense or Miller for this loss. You blame the entire team because they were embarrassed at home with the playoffs on the line late in the third by a team who was on the second of back to back games and playing with a 2 goal lead.

As for the Miller bashing, he is a product of his team. What I mean is that he has been incredibly streaky just like the team. I know people talk about statistics (GAA and SV%) to compare goalies and i understand that but to me only one statistic matters and that is W's. Over the last 3 seasons counting this one Miller has been at the top of the league at that statistic. Granted he has had a great team in front of him the last two, but as long as he is at the top of the league in W's at the end of the year then I wouldnt mess with it

good point. it's a stat that doesn't lie and cannot be massaged away.

Miller has been average. You can say that his GGA is similar to last season, but I'm talking about critical situations. Last year and especially the year before, Miller was fantastic in critical situations. He stole games.

When was the last time you felt that Miller stole a game for us?

...yup...

Now how many times did an opposing goalie steal a game for 'them'?

exactly.

Our D wasn't great but it wasn't abysmal, either. We need more toughness and less finesse back there. We need a couple righties.

And we had better find a backup goalie, cuz Thibault has had one good game this year and the rest have been weak at best.

I can think of a couple of 1-0 wins (Florida and Toronto) and a couple 2-1 wins (NYI and Dallas) where he stole points when the team was outplayed for large stretches of the game. Exactly how many games should the goalie steal? 10? 15? Because if you're asking your goalie to steal more than a handful of games/points, you have serious issues on your team.

The defense wasn't abysmal in the first two periods. But they were for the final 8 minutes of the game, and that led to a ton of great scoring chances for the Sens, and just like the game against Montreal, they didn't miss.

Okay, maybe garbage is a little harsh. How about trash, is that better? Hey I'm pissed and I'm venting, but I still think Miller should be this teams goalie for the next few years anyways. I think his play has been struggling due to the fact he hasn't had a night off in how long now, 30 straight games? And how many of those games were OT and shootouts? That's just crazy.

No worries. We're probably closer in our thoughts on Miller than it seemed earlier in this thread, and I realize we're all venting to some extent.

I just don't like blaming the goalie - any goalie - for pucks going in the net unless it's absolutely his fault. I really don't like when a team hangs their goalie out to dry in the manner the Sabres have this year - piss-poor defense for large stretches of the season, a backup that can't be counted on to beat anyone outside Montreal (which is, in and of itself ridiculous, considering that Montreal may be the EC reg season champs) which led them to overwork Ryan (and I really believe he is fading fast - you can see little things in his mechanics that to me look like the result of fatigue) and playing a wide-open offensive system that puts the goalie on an island and asks him to keep the team in the game until the offense gets going.

I've called Miller out for goals here and there, but I think a lot of Sabres' fans (not directing this at you) have been spoiled rotten by watching one of the greatest goalies in NHL history wearing the B&G and B&R, so I think he gets a lot more blame than the 20 guys in front of him. It comes with the position, but a lot of fans either fail to recognize or discount the fact that goals don't happen in a vacuum, there are usually multiple breakdowns and failures before a puck crosses the goal line.

I can think of a couple of 1-0 wins (Florida and Toronto) and a couple 2-1 wins (NYI and Dallas) where he stole points when the team was outplayed for large stretches of the game. Exactly how many games should the goalie steal? 10? 15? Because if you're asking your goalie to steal more than a handful of games/points, you have serious issues on your team.

The defense wasn't abysmal in the first two periods. But they were for the final 8 minutes of the game, and that led to a ton of great scoring chances for the Sens, and just like the game against Montreal, they didn't miss.

No worries. We're probably closer in our thoughts on Miller than it seemed earlier in this thread, and I realize we're all venting to some extent.

I just don't like blaming the goalie - any goalie - for pucks going in the net unless it's absolutely his fault. I really don't like when a team hangs their goalie out to dry in the manner the Sabres have this year - piss-poor defense for large stretches of the season, a backup that can't be counted on to beat anyone outside Montreal (which is, in and of itself ridiculous, considering that Montreal may be the EC reg season champs) which led them to overwork Ryan (and I really believe he is fading fast - you can see little things in his mechanics that to me look like the result of fatigue) and playing a wide-open offensive system that puts the goalie on an island and asks him to keep the team in the game until the offense gets going.

I've called Miller out for goals here and there, but I think a lot of Sabres' fans (not directing this at you) have been spoiled rotten by watching one of the greatest goalies in NHL history wearing the B&G and B&R, so I think he gets a lot more blame than the 20 guys in front of him. It comes with the position, but a lot of fans either fail to recognize or discount the fact that goals don't happen in a vacuum, there are usually multiple breakdowns and failures before a puck crosses the goal line.

Exactly my point. You can debate how many of the goals tonight should or shouldnt have been saved by Miller, but one thing is for sure a large number of them were the consequence of poor effort and play on behalf of the 5 guys in front of Miller. Things do not happen in a vacuum and everyone on the ice, including Miller, deserves blame most times when goals are scored.

Better D? Didn't we just trade one of the best D-men in the NHL? Yep, Larry Quinn has us on the fast track to the cellar. Never seen management dismantle a cup contender quicker.

PTR

Better D? Didn't we just trade one of the best D-men in the NHL? Yep, Larry Quinn has us on the fast track to the cellar. Never seen management dismantle a cup contender quicker.

PTR

I dont know Tampa seemed to do a pretty good job of it by placing almost there entire payroll on three players. Also, while I was Brian Campbell fan and hated seeing him leave let us not get too romantic about his days in Buffalo. The Sabres defensive problems started and continued while we had Campbell and while he is a great offensive defenseman his defensive ability (which is our present need) was never on par with the elite dmen in the league.

There's so much crap in that paragraph, I don't know where to begin.

1) It wasn't a choice of Briere or Roy. It was Briere or somewhere between $5 and $7 million per year for five or more years. In fact, the only reason that he and Roy are mentioned together is that they are both small centers. Roy has more in common with Drury than with Briere.

2) Roy is better than Briere in most ways and will probably pass him in every other way over the next couple of years.

3) Briere may make the playoffs, but he didn't do it all there. Since you like to compare the two, he has less goals and assists than Roy, and he's a -21! Oh, and Roy is $3 million per year less. Hell, I'd rather have Richards than Briere if we are talking Flyers' centers.

5) I might have kept Briere for a year or two as the team transitions, but I wouldn't take him for 5-6 years even now. There were better alternatives for that kind of money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, where they failed was in who the didn't bring in, not who they didn't keep.

Archived