Paetsch cleared to play!

Goose Nasty

Paetsch, who missed the last four games due to a concussion incurred by a Georges Laraque elbow March 12 in Pittsburgh, returned to practice Sunday in the arena and has been cleared to play Tuesday against Ottawa. Michael Funk has been sent back to Rochester.

?I feel really good. I?m really happy with the progress,? Paetsch said. ?I?m fortunate that it?s my first [concussion] so I was able to recover a lot quicker.?

thanks to the buffalo news

So, now it's:

Tallinder-Lydman

Sekera-Weber

Pratt-Paetsch

I'm guessing that the lion's share of the even strength ice time will go to those top two pairs. Paetsch may also get some time on the PP just to see if he can help with that (can't get much worse).

Is Paetsch any better than the kids that have been playing? :unsure: I didn't see much difference.

I don't think that he's significantly better or worse than Funk, but it would be kinda mean to hold three of the Amerk's blueliners up here for not a significant improvement. Now, if/when Kalinin comes back, then would I say sit him and keep Sekera/Weber up.

Possibly the least anticipated return of a Sabre in a long time..

With the way he played earlier this year, I don't think there were a lot of people eagerly anticipating Max's return either....

They should just do it out of spite then. :angry:

I would do it to spite Donner, if he were the only one hurt, but there are a lot of good kids on that team that it screws over, too. They've had to deal with enough losses this season already.

Possibly the least anticipated return of a Sabre in a long time..

Actually I am going to amend my original response and add Kalinin's name to the mix. I just read this:

Defensemen are close to returning

By John Vogl -- News Sports Reporter

Updated: 03/25/08 9:06 AM

Nathan Paetsch will be back tonight with the benefit of two full practices with his teammates. When his fellow Buffalo Sabres defensemen return from their injuries, they may not get that benefit.

Jaroslav Spacek (chest) and Dmitri Kalinin (shoulder) again skated on their own Monday, though neither will be back for tonight's game against Ottawa in HSBC Arena. They are doubtful for Thursday's visit to Ottawa.

"I don't believe we're going to get them in the next game or two," Ruff said. "We could get them maybe in three or four days, but it's a day-today type of thing. If they feel better, we could get them back."

Once they're back, they're not going to get much time to get game ready. With only seven games left in the regular season, there's no time for extra practice work.

"This time of year, it might be one day,"? Ruff said. "That's just the way it is. We'll take a look at it, see where they're at, see where we're at, and desperate times have desperate measures."

and immediately thought - "nope, don't want Dmitri back, thanks." Take your time recuperating, Kalinin - let the young guys keep getting experience.

Archived