A surprising slap

nfreeman

Jeez -- what do we have to do? We're the best team in the league, we play an exciting style, we have great goaltending and defense to cover up mistakes, we have a great arena, every home game is sold out and raucous, ESPN just named us the best franchise in sports, and yet:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news/news.asp?idNews=24100

To what city would you least like to be traded?

1) Buffalo Sabres (40) 16%

2) Edmonton Oilers (28) 11.2%

3) New York Islanders (24) 9.6%

4) Pittsburgh Penguins (18) 7.2%

5) Florida Panthers (17) 6.8%

6) Carolina Hurricanes and St. Louis Blues (13) 5.2%

7) Washington Capitals (12) 4.8%

8) New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers (9) 3.6%

9) Columbus Blue Jackets and Montreal Canadiens (8) 3.2%

10) Calgary Flames (7) 2.8%

11) Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings (6) 2.4%

12) Nashville Predators (5) 2%

13) Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators (4) 1.6%

14) Philadelphia Flyers and Phoenix Coyotes (3) 1.2%

15) Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs (2) 0.8%

16) Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning (1) 0.4%

I note that if you add up the 3 NYC teams, more players said they didn't like NYC than didn't like buffalo -- but still. I would've thought that last year's success, this year's success, spending to the cap, the fans, the shot at the cup, etc., would have made us more attractive to the players. Instead we are the least desirable by a wide margin.

It can't be the weather, can it? All these guys are from cold climates.

It's tempting to shrug this off and say it doesn't matter, but this kind of thinking affects our ability to attract AND RETAIN free agents, get waivers of no-trade clauses, etc.

Maybe a cup and more spending in the offseason will help.

thoughts?

Im not sure it says much about our ability to retain free agents, these players have obviously never lived in the area and are just voting based on speculation. It seems that once players get here they embrace the city. I wouldnt worry too much about this one as we know its all about the money anyways regardless of the city that goes with it.

Based on the question, the word Sabres should not be a part of that answer at all. They're talking about the city itself. Spending single days here, these players think there isn't much to do. The weather reputation probably plays into things too.

I think we all know better than to put any stock into this. All the former players still living in this area is all the proof we need.

Either that, or Willis McGahee's influence has spread quickly.

...Spending single days here, these players think there isn't much to do...

This is the key point ... if you only came through town once or twice a year and it was on a Wednesday night and you stayed downtown, all you see between the Hyatt and the Arena are boarded up storefronts. It's not very inviting.

Also, that's what, 40 guys who said that? I bet 35 of 'em we would not anywhere near the ice in a Sabres uniform anyway.

If you actually subscribe to the Hockey News, you would see that the magazine defended Buffalo despite the poll results. The poll was on the same page as an article that defended the city and how many players live there even though they've moved on to other cities (ie; Matt Barnaby and Mike Peca).

Basically, the author (can't remember who wrote it) said that you can go to other cities for the bright lights, but Buffalo is a great place to live in general. Plus, the downtown area by the arena and the hotels there don't give visiting players a great impression.

Also, that's what, 40 guys who said that? I bet 35 of 'em we would not anywhere near the ice in a Sabres uniform anyway.

Exactly, who'd want to get traded to a team where they probably wouldn't crack the lineup, let alone see much ice time.

Interesting that Vancouver is not on the list. Vancouver is thought to be one of the nicest cities in the world. So maybe it's less about hockey.

I really doubt this has anything to do with the team itself. I'm sorry to tell you Buffalo fans, but Buffalo is not the most attractive city to live in. The downtown is nothing special, alot of baorded up, run down buildings. There isn't much for people to do at night (compared to a larger city) Taxes are high, jobs are not as plentiful. Its not a warm weather climate, and the winters can be nasty at times. The school systems aren't the greatest. And most of all, according to Willis (as per TKO) Buffalo doesn't even have a Basketball team!

I really doubt this has anything to do with the team itself. I'm sorry to tell you Buffalo fans, but Buffalo is not the most attractive city to live in. The downtown is nothing special, alot of baorded up, run down buildings. There isn't much for people to do at night (compared to a larger city) Taxes are high, jobs are not as plentiful. Its not a warm weather climate, and the winters can be nasty at times. The school systems aren't the greatest. And most of all, according to Willis (as per TKO) Buffalo doesn't even have a Basketball team!

Yeah, but other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

There isn't much for people to do at night (compared to a larger city) Taxes are high, jobs are not as plentiful. Its not a warm weather climate, and the winters can be nasty at times. The school systems aren't the greatest.

First the sample size for this poll is incredibly small compared even to the other polls in the article. For that reason I wouldn't worry too much about the results. The city schools suck I will give you that. However, I would be willing to bet not a single sabre lives in the actual city of Buffalo. The Suburban schools sytstems (where the players live) all have pretty top notch schools, especially compared to other states. Also, the Buffalo private schools for the most part are pretty solid. Heck even the city has a couple great high schools, city honors as an expample always ranks high in the NYS rankings. Adressing the weather: most hockey players are not from florida or texas, so I would assume the weather is not the problem.

I am pretty tired of people ragging on our city, any one who has ever lived in Western New York will tell you it is a great place to live. Also, the people that leave do so for monatary reasons and ussualy try to find a way back. Anyways that is my rant and I will end it now.

I lived in Buffalo my whole life before being transferred down to TN. Buffalo was a great home that was filled with alot of great people. Other people seem to think that Buffalonians must be snobs because they are in New York. I have to wonder if that has anything to do with it. As far as the weather, that brings about new opportunities to learn to ski and dthinkgs like that. Anyone who bashes the city has never experienced living there and obviously has not tasted the food yet!! I don't think it will effect us to mush as far as free agents

I think it would have a lot to do with what any one particular player was looking for. I also think they would ask other players who've lived in Buffalo for the really low-down if they knew somebody. Of course, if you're looking for lots of nightlife then downtown may not be the place compared to other cities. But I think it is attractive in lots of other dimensions. I think one of the really good reasons is that compared to other places, players can go place in relative peace like most normal folks. Other places they can barely get out before being mobbed. Schools in the burbs are generally good. Housing is really cheap. Cost of living compared to other places is also advantageous especially with some of their salaries. Also, it's right across the border. Lots of good things that can appeal to players. Not all of course, but it's not like a nuclear pit. It would even be better if there were a commercial revival of sorts.

First the sample size for this poll is incredibly small compared even to the other polls in the article. For that reason I wouldn't worry too much about the results. The city schools suck I will give you that. However, I would be willing to bet not a single sabre lives in the actual city of Buffalo. The Suburban schools sytstems (where the players live) all have pretty top notch schools, especially compared to other states. Also, the Buffalo private schools for the most part are pretty solid. Heck even the city has a couple great high schools, city honors as an expample always ranks high in the NYS rankings. Adressing the weather: most hockey players are not from florida or texas, so I would assume the weather is not the problem.

I am pretty tired of people ragging on our city, any one who has ever lived in Western New York will tell you it is a great place to live. Also, the people that leave do so for monatary reasons and ussualy try to find a way back. Anyways that is my rant and I will end it now.

But thats the point, you've experienced it, most people from other areas haven't so they are going off the image the media, and others portray, and that is that the City is not the most attractive place to live in.

Just because people who have lived there have said its a nice place, doesn't mean that its what others think.

As for the weather, its rougher then some other "Hockey" regions. Buffalo gets a nice mixture of freezing rain and snow and bad weather from the lakes. In the winter it can get pretty rough and messy in Buffalo

Exactly, who'd want to get traded to a team where they probably wouldn't crack the lineup, let alone see much ice time.

Interesting that Vancouver is not on the list. Vancouver is thought to be one of the nicest cities in the world. So maybe it's less about hockey.

Vancouver IS the nicest City in all of North America, hands down. Even with the rain.

The City is also "hockey mad" so that must play a part too. The fans are very knowledgeable so that helps as well.

Side note: I was at the Canucks vs Preds game last week. JP Dumont was flipping pucks over the glass to fans during the warmup. Nice guy, but I'm sure glad we didn't pay $2.9 for him. He only has 18 goals.

The list also didn't have Boston on it either???????

Vancouver IS the nicest City in all of North America, hands down. Even with the rain.

The City is also "hockey mad" so that must play a part too. The fans are very knowledgeable so that helps as well.

Side note: I was at the Canucks vs Preds game last week. JP Dumont was flipping pucks over the glass to fans during the warmup. Nice guy, but I'm sure glad we didn't pay $2.9 for him. He only has 18 goals.

The list also didn't have Boston on it either???????

Visited Vancouver last summer. It's nicer parts were beautiful, especially anything looking over the water. But I also noticed some really slummy areas as well. IMO, San Antonio was the nicest city I've ever visited.

What city doesn't have slummy areas?

Vancouver is a very versatile city as far as things to do especially outdoors each season.

I live 4 hours away by car and there is much to do outdoors here as well.

BC is truly God's country and I'm not religious!

Guest Sloth

To a certain degree, it may have someting to do w/ outside players seeing Buffalo in the winter, but I think it has a lot to do w/ the Sabres lineup it self. Can a player put up the numbers they could somwhere else? When the Sabres are healthy, they have 4 lines rolling. Now, I know you guys are going to say we have 4 30 plus goal scorers, but I think it does relate to the overall talent on this team. Less ice time could lead to less numbers. Thankfully, a number of players on the Sabres are taking advantage of thier ice time! Go Sabres!

Don't fret... It is like asking a person where they don't want to work knowing that the place they pick is where the boss makes you work the most...

Get what I am saying?...

Lindy makes you work and SKATE!

I have learned enough in life (and working for the fed) that most people DO NOT like to work... Let alone hard manual labor and stuff...

IMO, same goes for BFLO in the fast skating system they play!

That's okay... Because hard workin', fast skating players need only apply!

Work 'em like a dog Lindy... That is what they get paid the "big bucks" to do!

:blink:

:D :D

Thanes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the team. Like I said earlier, the question says "which city". Who ever typed up that recap is an idiot and the team names should not be listed with that question.

Phoey you!... You just blew my above theory!!!!

:angry:

Why dont you ask the 300,000 citizens who left Buffalo because of horrible leadership why no one wants get traded to Buffalo. It has nothing to do with the team, ownership coaching etc..... Every guy in the league would love to play for Ruff and Galisano.

Again, don't get hurt feelings... My theory begs to differ... :nana: :nana:

and more importantly... money talks... you can always have your summer home elsewhere...

What summer when you are playing from September (exhibition games) to mid-June!!!

:beer: :beer:

Thanes, it has absolutely nothing to do with the team. Like I said earlier, the question says "which city". Who ever typed up that recap is an idiot and the team names should not be listed with that question.

Not sure I agree with you here. You are certainly right that the question says "which city". However, I have to believe that the players take the whole package -- city, team, coach, management, arena, etc -- into consideration when they consider where they'd most/least like to be. Otherwise it's hard to see why NYC and Miami both make it into the top 5, and the other 2 NYC teams, DC and Montreal also in the top 9.

I think what's working against us here are:

1. grubby downtown area

2. high taxes -- note that of teams at the top of the list, only the panthers are in a low-tax state. these guys (or at least their agents) know this stuff.

3. recent (but pre-Golisano) bankruptcy and general turmoil at the top

4. recent (but pre-Golisano) reputation of being cheapskates -- Peca, Miro, Zhitnik

5. recent (but pre-Golisano) poor attendance

6. complaints about how nasty Lindy can be from players who've left

7. long, gray, cold, wet, snowy winters

8. national reputation -- being the butt of all those jokes

9. natural tendency of being in your 20s and just repeating stuff you've heard instead of independently analyzing a question

Since #s 1, 2, 7 and 8 can't be helped (at least not by the Sabres), I think the best way of improving in this kind of poll is to keep winning, keep selling out the arena, and keep spending to the cap.

Perhaps 16 wins starting in mid-april and a nice shiny trophy would help...

Go Sabres.

Archived