Start Conks Wednesday. . .

elcrusho

Why Miller for Washington?

Miller would then have 3 days rest before the playoffs start on the 11th. A good final "tune-up". Let Conks play the Flyers... If I remember correctly this would be similar to last year's final 2 games. Miller played, then Biron in the final regular season game. Oh ya, each threw a shutout as well.

What if Miller is tired? What if Miller gets hurt? We need to have faith in Conks in case the unthinkable happens to Miller.

cmonnnn! Its the playoffs - your no 1 goalie starts all the way through. do you thnk brouder takes rests in the playoffs? And be honest - if Miller gets hurt we are done.

cmonnnn! Its the playoffs - your no 1 goalie starts all the way through. do you thnk brouder takes rests in the playoffs? And be honest - if Miller gets hurt we are done.

I don't think the playoffs rest on either of our goaltenders backs. Conklin has shown to be decent so far, so if Miller gets hurt I think Conks could step in. But we're going to lose either way if the rest of the team doesn't get its act together.

I'd love to think that Miller could make it through unscathed and not need a rest here and there, but Miller isn't Brodeur. Marty B has been around for a long time and he has the built up stamina to play every game. But I don't think Miller does, and we've seen it this season. Unless we can go 4-0 in every series so that miller gets a break for the next one, I don't think he'll play it straight though.

I don't think the playoffs rest on either of our goaltenders backs. Conklin has shown to be decent so far, so if Miller gets hurt I think Conks could step in. But we're going to lose either way if the rest of the team doesn't get its act together.

I'd love to think that Miller could make it through unscathed and not need a rest here and there, but Miller isn't Brodeur. Marty B has been around for a long time and he has the built up stamina to play every game. But I don't think Miller does, and we've seen it this season. Unless we can go 4-0 in every series so that miller gets a break for the next one, I don't think he'll play it straight though.

He played every game last year. Is old age creeping up on him that fast?

FYI: Biron started seven games after March 1 last season and replaced Miller in two others.

I don't think Ruff realizes he dresses two goalies every game. It was the same with Hasek. I assume Miller will be the starter for every game now through the end of the Playoffs. I really like Ruff, but I find his unwillingness to play the backup very annoying.

I don't think Ruff realizes he dresses two goalies every game. It was the same with Hasek. I assume Miller will be the starter for every game now through the end of the Playoffs. I really like Ruff, but I find his unwillingness to play the backup very annoying.

And it was the same when Biron & Noronen were the 1-2 goalies. He either seems to lose confidence, faith, whatever in the backup very quickly, or the Dom experience had made him gunshy about tinkering with his no.1 goalie's psyche...

why? Conks wont see the ice in the playoffs.

What if Miller stinks up the joint like Ward did (what game was that?... Or was it Gerber? I forget... Selective memory loss... :D ) in the ECF's... Yanking him might make the team think otherwise or Miller to get pissed...

Your starting goalie being pissed is NOT a bad thing!

What if Miller stinks up the joint like Ward did (what game was that?... Or was it Gerber? I forget... Selective memory loss... :D ) in the ECF's... Yanking him might make the team think otherwise or Miller to get pissed...

Your starting goalie being pissed is NOT a bad thing!

Damn skippy, E. Ryan is the one left hung out to dry when they stand around in their own end, fail to clear rebounds, cover guys in front of the net, etc. Him speaking up now shows exactly what some of us have thought - that there are some guys who are not giving it 100% and are believing their own press clippings, and maybe hearing it from someone who doesn't usually speak up, and from someone other than Lindy, the coaching staff or the captains, will fire these guys up to get their heads on straight...

Damn skippy, E. Ryan is the one left hung out to dry when they stand around in their own end, fail to clear rebounds, cover guys in front of the net, etc. Him speaking up now shows exactly what some of us have thought - that there are some guys who are not giving it 100% and are believing their own press clippings, and maybe hearing it from someone who doesn't usually speak up, and from someone other than Lindy, the coaching staff or the captains, will fire these guys up to get their heads on straight...

I agree.

Yet, there is also a nagging, a real nagging fear that the "Sabre System"... May not be able to handle the old- school game and lack of officiating in calling the very rules that the NHL has laid out... Miller and the coaching staff may not be in control of tweaking it out any better...???

Teams like OTT and PITT scare me... Because the seem to have the "mix" and haven't devoted the whole farm to the new game???

why? Conks wont see the ice in the playoffs.

The playoffs with Lord Stanleys cup are no time to find out if your backup can handle the pressure. I say get him some game experience and let him get used to game time situations and let him get some of the rust off from riding the pine. He's being paid contractual money by the Sabres organization so Conk might as well earn a paycheck.

Here's my take on the backup goaltender situation/playoffs. Do I think Conks could step in and hold the fort for a game or two if Miller was injured/sick? Yep. But if he has to go more than a couple games, I'd say the Sabres' playoff chances obviously take a huge hit.

After I (and pretty much ALL Sabres fans everywhere) nearly had a heart attack when we heard that Roloson was starting in place of Dom in the '99 playoffs vs Toronto, seeing Conklin in there would be a hell of a lot less scary, given the huge talent disparity between that team and this year's Sabres...

If the Sabres were expecting Miller to have a "breakdown", or stink it up, or get sick, or injured, they wouldn't have traded Biron away.Miller/Biron is closer to a Ward/Gerber then Miller/Conklin. The Sabres will not be messing with their goalie combinations like Carolina did last year because they no longer have the luxury of Biron as the Backup.

The problem isn't that the Sabres don't know what they have in Conklin, its that the fans don't know what they have so they come up with reasons why the team should play him, basically so they can get in their own "professional scouting report" on him and feel confident while they watch the game that if Miller can't play, Conks will not give everyone heart attacks.

I'm not to sure about that, You just dont play a game in month and then make 42 saves as Conklin did against Florida. Yeah alot of the shots were from the outside, but he still played amazing. Also he held down the crease in the finals and helped edmonton get to game 7, so hes more than capable of steping up and helping us win in the playoffs. Were a hell of a lot better than edmonton was last year so i think that if miller goes down we still have a huge chance to win it all.

Also he held down the crease in the finals and helped edmonton get to game 7, so hes more than capable of steping up and helping us win in the playoffs.

I'm as big a fan as Conks as the next guy, but after the game 1 debacle, the Edmonton coaching staff sat him on the bench the rest of the series...Morrison played the rest of the games.

Yes, he did play outstanding against Florida, but it was Florida, after all. IMO, there is no way that you can say the Cup chances are the same with Conklin in instead of Ryan. We don't know how he'd handle the pressure of being "the guy" in a playoff run - his Stanley Cup experience last year lasted all of 5:36.

Bottom line - no matter how much hope any fans cling to, Conks is not getting any starts in the playoffs unless Miller is hurt/injured (as it should be) and if Conks is called upon for extended postseason action, our Cup chances would take a serious hit.

I'm as big a fan as Conks as the next guy, but after the game 1 debacle, the Edmonton coaching staff sat him on the bench the rest of the series...Morrison played the rest of the games.

Jussi Markkanen

Archived