Danny Briere

El Chucko

Danny Briere next year:

$5 - 5.5 million = what the Sabres will offer

$6 million = a fair/reasonable salary

$7 - 7.5 million = what other teams will offer

What do you think? Am I in the neighborhood? Based on these figures (or yours), what do you think will happen?

(By the way, as far as length of contract, I expect to see 3-5 years in any case on any team.)

For $6 million a year, he shouldn't have to be taken off the ice immediately off the faceoff because the other team put its top line out there. That's one of the main reasons I say keep Drury over Briere: two-way play. Drury plays on the PK, Briere does only when half the team's injured. Don't get me wrong, I love Briere; he means so much to this team and he scores the second-most clutch goals behind Drury, but it just rubs me the wrong way that he can't lock down against opponents' top players.

As far as the contract was concerned, I was thinking along the lines of a DiPietro-type one: no fewer than 15 years. ;) I'd rather not think about contracts when the playoffs are just around the corner -- I'm just enjoyin' the ride.

That fine on Briere for the dive last night against the Leafs was a joke!! He got crosschecked for crying out loud and anybody who got hit like that would've fallen too. Weak penalty and fine. Really pissed off on that call.

Sabres played like crap, but that call was not warranted.

That fine on Briere for the dive last night against the Leafs was a joke!! He got crosschecked for crying out loud and anybody who got hit like that would've fallen too. Weak penalty and fine. Really pissed off on that call.

Is that a suspension?

Actually, I thought that situation was a prime example of how both diving and an offsetting infraction could be called on the same play. The crosscheck, IMO, was a no-brainer - I still cannot understand why it wasn't called - but Danny did embellish the contact, as he has been known to do. Maybe if he hadn't developed a rep for diving and embellishing things, then he might have gotten away with that, and the Sabres would have gotten a PP out of it.

What I want to know is where was the other penalty on the other player that always goes hand in hand with the diving penalty.

PS Hey refs...way to set the tone by missing the blatant tripping call against Roy right at the start of the game.

This year I think.

Yep, the rule was modified for this season. 2nd offense - $1,000 fine. 3rd offense - 1 game suspension "pending a telephone conversation with the Director of Hockey Operations". And if you can figure out if a 3rd offense results in an automatic suspension or if it is up to whether Campbell got lucky the night before, you are a better man than me.

Yep, the rule was modified for this season. 2nd offense - $1,000 fine. 3rd offense - 1 game suspension "pending a telephone conversation with the Director of Hockey Operations". And if you can figure out if a 3rd offense results in an automatic suspension or if it is up to whether Campbell got lucky the night before, you are a better man than me.

Wow, that is fairly discretionary.

I don't know, E. I agree, and have railed against the league's apparent spinning "wheel of justice" system of discipline and punishment, but players - even our beloved Sabres, like Roy & Briere - shouldn't fling themselves down like they were hit by a sniper every time an opponent makes contact with them, so I can understand (somewhat) the joint diving and infraction calls. But I find it hard to believe that the "unsportsmanlike-diving" call is cutting down on embellishments, since you rarely see just the diver punished.

I don't know, E. I agree, and have railed against the league's apparent spinning "wheel of justice" system of discipline and punishment, but players - even our beloved Sabres, like Roy & Briere - shouldn't fling themselves down like they were hit by a sniper every time an opponent makes contact with them, so I can understand (somewhat) the joint diving and infraction calls. But I find it hard to believe that the "unsportsmanlike-diving" call is cutting down on embellishments, since you rarely see just the diver punished.

I agree...

The lack of officiating is probably making it worse!

Then there is the x-check... One of the most OBVIOUS penalty in the game... The stick goes up and crosses the player... Even if he only touches him as light as a feather... Still an infraction...

Now are they judging the severity of the x-check? God, this league needs to get real!!!

I agree...

The lack of officiating is probably making it worse!

Then there is the x-check... One of the most OBVIOUS penalty in the game... The stick goes up and crosses the player... Even if he only touches him as light as a feather... Still an infraction...

Now are they judging the severity of the x-check? God, this league needs to get real!!!

Well, we saw what it looked like.

I think embellishment can also be "audio" as in "What the #%^$#! was that!"

What I want to know is where was the other penalty on the other player that always goes hand in hand with the diving penalty.

PS Hey refs...way to set the tone by missing the blatant tripping call against Roy right at the start of the game.

If Roy could stay up on his skates once in a while he would get those calls.

Ruff needs to send a message to Briere and Roy. The next time they flop they get benched.

I'm going to come to Roy's defense a little here. I agree he's earned the reputation, and deservedly so on many occasions. At the same time, he has fallen MANY times without any help at all. He's a good player, but just doesn't seem to have a great sense of balance that you would expect at this level.

So my thinking is... if he can fall just fine on his own, is it a stretch to think he'll fall easily when pushed/shoved/hit/tripped? :o

I'm going to come to Roy's defense a little here. I agree he's earned the reputation, and deservedly so on many occasions. At the same time, he has fallen MANY times without any help at all. He's a good player, but just doesn't seem to have a great sense of balance that you would expect at this level.

So my thinking is... if he can fall just fine on his own, is it a stretch to think he'll fall easily when pushed/shoved/hit/tripped? :o

That is my point exactly with the smallish skaters!

Archived