GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Some whine with that cheese?

i realize you're playing the devil's advocate (no pun intended, tonight) but come on... there was a bias in the reffing tonight. I'm well aware that briere and roy are divers, with briere having a very large mouth on him... but that whole exchange when vanek was blatently cross checked with no penalty called was totally unbelievable... Then to call drury for the exact same thing 10 seconds later? total bush league. these guys might as well be WWF refs... company shills, paid to keep the match flowing to the predetermined outcome.

But, with that said: I will jump on your bandwagon for one thing. The play of ryan miller has been well short of "all-star" caliber. Granted, some of those goals over this stretch cannot be credited solely on him, but when you're the franchise goalie, the team trades away their insurance policy on you, and the entire franchise is counting on you, you better step to the friggin plate when you have to. Ryan Miller is not a shutout goalie, and he's not going to get great stats, but boy oh boy, your franchise goalie better damn well be able to steal a couple games while the regulars are injured. If macarthur, stafford, paetsch, paille, ryan, kaleta, mancari, and the rest of the amerks are able to step up for stretches, so better the goalie.

This loss does not fall on ryan miller's lap, but as the leader of the team, there's nobody else to blame.

As for the coaching: we all know lindy ruff is a masterfull playoff coach and he's turning out to be a terrible march coach. Time to fill those jack adams shoes and pull out a victory, or else we're really going to be pissed off if these results are shown on national tv tuesday night.

Tonite's refs

From section 103, Seat 11.....................Eric Furlatt

From section 219, Seat 14......................Mike Hasenfratz

Please make your way to the ice surface to get your uniform and whistles.

come on guys....you can't blame that game on officiating. there may have been one or two calls at most, but otherwise we just didn't win a tough hockey game.

Thank you mrjsbu. Good god. What "bias" corp?

These three losses have had very little to do with officiating -- unless you want to blame them for giving us power plays.

Well as much as some people would like to blame the goaltending exclusively, please note that the Sabres scored a grand total of 5 goals over the last three games. That was barely enough for Dom to win three games, so that isn't going to cut it now.

Thank you mrjsbu. Good god. What "bias" corp?

These three losses have had very little to do with officiating -- unless you want to blame them for giving us power plays.

The officials didn't cost us this game. If you watch the replay of the hit on Vanek from ice level it wasn't nearly as bad as it appeared live. Was it a penalty? Maybe a borderline one. We've only been shorthanded what... 3 or 4 times in the last 3 games? Wait a minute... maybe that's it... the ref's are giving us power plays so we can give up short handed game winning goals! :wallbash:

I think I could have driven the puck through that 10-hole on the shorthanded goal. But, again, let's find the excuse...

Should Miller have stopped the shot? Yes. Should the shot have happened? No. Should someone have been backchecking? Yes. Should Paetsch have taken the shot at the other end? No. Miller is not going to stop every shot, in fact, he's only going to stop around 91%...Maybe it's just me, but I think the bigger cause for concern was giving up 2 odd man rushes on the same PP. But I guess it's just easier to blame the goalie.

Now, after watching the two teams play head to head, can you honestly say Brodeur faces shots of the same quality as Miller?

By the way, did anyone else have the FSN feed tonight? Apparently we're wrong. NJ doesn't play the trap. I guess playing 1-2-2 in the neutral zone is not the trap.

Oh, and also apparently teams should find a way to honor the players who aren't good enough to get their numbers retired. Give them a banner anyways. In fact, give everyone a banner. It's just like t-ball...

Whatever the memory of this season is it will come in april, may or hopefully june. try to put this in context- the flyers hit a post in OT in buffalo in the 1st ot last year during game 1.

Like I said... It isn't about talent or the game... The way they play North American hockey, especially... It is all about LUCK.

The game is far more interesting when the "new rules" are enforced...

That to me is the crossroads the NHL is at.

You want a boring soccer match... Where luck can trump talent in a 1-0 contest or do you want to see skill?

Should Miller have stopped the shot? Yes. Should the shot have happened? No. Should someone have been backchecking? Yes. Should Paetsch have taken the shot at the other end? No. Miller is not going to stop every shot, in fact, he's only going to stop around 91%...Maybe it's just me, but I think the bigger cause for concern was giving up 2 odd man rushes on the same PP. But I guess it's just easier to blame the goalie.

Now, after watching the two teams play head to head, can you honestly say Brodeur faces shots of the same quality as Miller?

By the way, did anyone else have the FSN feed tonight? Apparently we're wrong. NJ doesn't play the trap. I guess playing 1-2-2 in the neutral zone is not the trap.

Oh, and also apparently teams should find a way to honor the players who aren't good enough to get their numbers retired. Give them a banner anyways. In fact, give everyone a banner. It's just like t-ball...

Heck... Why even keep score!

:D

Briere gets hauled down on that last shift; no call. Thanks a lot.

If he didn't get "hauled down" every shift he would be able to get a call now and then. He could have easily been called for a few 'unsportsman like' penalties last night. The one five minutes into the second where Hecht took the puck in his own zone and Briere flops right at the blueline was horrendous. The Sabres could have had a four on two if Briere would cut the flopping crap out. There was at least three instances where if Briere would just try to stay on his feet the Sabres would have had sustained pressure. He flops. No call. The puck gets cleared. He's hurting the team.

I was calling Briere B-Rod. His nickname should be 'The Breeze'. Because thats all it takes to get him off his feet. NHL Captains don't do that crap.

I'd be interested to know what our blocked shots stats are like right now as opposed to last year? Because I think that was a big part of our game last season and I don't notice as much of it as before.

I was thinking the same thing. Guys aren't making the sacrifices they were last season.

I am pretty sure we are still close to the top with blocked shots this year............. :beer:

i wish we won! I went there hoping to see a good game. basicly it was trap hockey!

well at least i caught a geico beanie!

i wish we won! I went there hoping to see a good game. basicly it was trap hockey!

well at least i caught a geico beanie!

It's so easy, even a sabreman can do it.

SORRY.

:oops:

Yes! Brodeur had to make some really tough saves. He robbed Campbell from the slot, among other dandies. Miller saw a few more odd-man rushes, but I don't think he was tested much more than Brodeur, if at all. I guess we all see a different game.

It's so easy, even a sabreman can do it.

SORRY.

:oops:

Yes! Brodeur had to make some really tough saves. He robbed Campbell from the slot, among other dandies. Miller saw a few more odd-man rushes, but I don't think he was tested much more than Brodeur, if at all. I guess we all see a different game.

One of the biggest differences I noticed is that when Brodeur gives up rebounds, they are immedietely cleared or the shooter has 3 guys on him so there is no way he is getting a quality scoring chance.

For about the millionth time, you can't have it both ways. You keep saying the system the Sabres play is the reason Miller faces so many good chances, and you claim Miller is The Man here because he can make the big save at the right time. So either Miller covers up his teammates' mess or he's not The Man. No excuses. On the SHG, the Sabres played it pretty well. I think you would trade a two on one break for a drop pass and wrister from the faceoff circle any day. Miller should have stopped it, as you say. I agree with you. It's Paetsch's fault for shooting that darned puck!

As Hopelessly Obvious pointed out, Brodeur was giving up 3 or more goals lately. He could definitely be had as the Zubrus shot showed. Too bad the Sabres didn't get it done.

I'm surprised Miller let the shortie in. Even though it was 3 on 1, he had decent position. He saw it all the way.

What I noticed was there seemed to be 4 devils in front of their net protecting on many occasions last night. It was difficult to get shots through to Brodeur. When they did, he played pretty darn well.

Now it gets interesting... Penguins, Panther and Lightning.. Time to right the ship... Time to get a few more bodies back... Time to draw a line that says this close and no closer.

For about the millionth time, you can't have it both ways. You keep saying the system the Sabres play is the reason Miller faces so many good chances, and you claim Miller is The Man here because he can make the big save at the right time. So either Miller covers up his teammates' mess or he's not The Man. No excuses. On the SHG, the Sabres played it pretty well. I think you would trade a two on one break for a drop pass and wrister from the faceoff circle any day. Miller should have stopped it, as you say. I agree with you. It's Paetsch's fault for shooting that darned puck!

:wallbash: Look. The Sabres play a wide open system. They would not play that system if they didn't have strong goaltending. Most of the time Miller will bail them out of trouble. Sometimes he won't. The fact of the matter is he is only going to save about 91% of the shots he faces. This is not good enough for you? You want someone better? The best in the league is saving around 92% of the shots they face.

Your last sentence says it all...You're saying you think Paetsch should have shot that puck? There was someone directly in his shooting lane. I'm all about trying to generate shots, but that is the absolute worst time to shoot the puck.

As Hopelessly Obvious pointed out, Brodeur was giving up 3 or more goals lately. He could definitely be had as the Zubrus shot showed. Too bad the Sabres didn't get it done.

I'm surprised Miller let the shortie in. Even though it was 3 on 1, he had decent position. He saw it all the way.

What I noticed was there seemed to be 4 devils in front of their net protecting on many occasions last night. It was difficult to get shots through to Brodeur. When they did, he played pretty darn well.

Now it gets interesting... Penguins, Panther and Lightning.. Time to right the ship... Time to get a few more bodies back... Time to draw a line that says this close and no closer.

I am looking forward to the Penguins game...finally a team that is willing to take some chances.

I am looking forward to the Penguins game...finally a team that is willing to take some chances.

There's the crux. We're hoping we get another team that likes to play pond hockey. Is that our best chance of winning? We have to start dictating our style of play. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, even the most mundane trapping team, like the Panthers, ends up dictating to us. Maybe Golisano needs to write a letter asking Bettman to ban the trap the way the NBA bans some defenses?

There's the crux. We're hoping we get another team that likes to play pond hockey. Is that our best chance of winning? We have to start dictating our style of play. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, even the most mundane trapping team, like the Panthers, ends up dictating to us. Maybe Golisano needs to write a letter asking Bettman to ban the trap the way the NBA bans some defenses?

For a team with so much talent - Buffalo must be the worst team in professional hockey at dumping the puck in the zone. Pomminstein deserves an award for what was probably the worst one of the season last night.

It is like some kind of Steve Blass disease.

At least Zubrus and Ryan can do it.

Note to self: Next time Peters fights Jansen go take a pee and grab a fresh beer.

The idea has been floated, and I wouldn't mind one bit if the trap or the left-wing lock (or whatever ridiculous name they come up with for it) was outlawed or weakened by league rules.

Then again, the rub lies in getting the officials to recognize the illegal defense and then actually call it. Given the NHL's history, I can see them putting in a vaguely-worded rule that is open to referees' interpretation, then having to go back and re-qrite or clarify the rule two, three years down the road.

Archived