Perhaps the NHL nneds the equivalent of...

SDS

1st, let me say that the old NFL films kicks ass, while the NEW NFL films and there nostril/ zooming closeups suck ass, but....

generations grew up on the sensational highlights offered by NFL Films. Perhaps the NHL should beef up their highlight department and start producing 1/2 hour specials to promote the game better...

that's a good idea...but i think that part of the greatness was the voice of John Facenda. That made all of the difference....as did the great access to the field and sound work.

the nhl has produced a 1/2 or so weekly show, hasn't it? I used to see it on msg or sports channel NY. I was rather turned off because it seemed geared toward a younger crowd. It wasn't up to the level of NFL films.

1st, let me say that the old NFL films kicks ass, while the NEW NFL films and there nostril/ zooming closeups suck ass, but....

generations grew up on the sensational highlights offered by NFL Films. Perhaps the NHL should beef up their highlight department and start producing 1/2 hour specials to promote the game better...

I have always said that hockey needs the equivalent of This Week in Baseball.

The NHL should package it and offer it once a week for all the networks that carry hockey

MSG, FNN, NESN etc to be shown before a game of their choosing once a week.

Reading between the lines, I think what you're saying is that marketing is the way for the NHL to become more popular in the US. I think the NHL's problem, if you want to call it a problem, is more structural. Hockey is too expensive to play, it's not played in that many schools, it's not engrained in the culture, vast parts of the country are basically unaware of it etc. The NHL has tried expansion, a glowing puck, every conceivable way of introducing Americans to the game and the players, and now more goals, a shootout, etc. Maybe it's time to take sports commentator Frank Deford's classic analogy to heart: The NHL is RC Cola. Nice drink. Tastes great. Has a lot of fans. NHL Films would be awesome for hockey fans, but it's not going to make the NHL into Coke or Pepsi.

Reading between the lines, I think what you're saying is that marketing is the way for the NHL to become more popular in the US. I think the NHL's problem, if you want to call it a problem, is more structural. Hockey is too expensive to play, it's not played in that many schools, it's not engrained in the culture, vast parts of the country are basically unaware of it etc. The NHL has tried expansion, a glowing puck, every conceivable way of introducing Americans to the game and the players, and now more goals, a shootout, etc. Maybe it's time to take sports commentator Frank Deford's classic analogy to heart: The NHL is RC Cola. Nice drink. Tastes great. Has a lot of fans. NHL Films would be awesome for hockey fans, but it's not going to make the NHL into Coke or Pepsi.

At least it ain't soccer. I suppose soccer in the US is the equivalent of Mr. Pibb.

I have always said that hockey needs the equivalent of This Week in Baseball.

The NHL should package it and offer it once a week for all the networks that carry hockey

MSG, FNN, NESN etc to be shown before a game of their choosing once a week.

They used to have NHL Cool Shots, I think back when they were on Fox. I think I remember another version of the show, but have no clue what the name was.

I can't seem to find Vernor's Ginger Ale, and it has been a long time since I had a Squirt.

It's not exactly the same, but I find Sierra Mist to be a good Squirt substitute.

DUDE Mr. Pibb is awsome :thumbsup:

Hehe...you just proved my point. There are a few people who think it's the best thing around, but most of us say "huh?"

y'know, Scott, that's an idea that makes me want to say, "I've thought of that, too." It seems so obvious; I wonder if anyone in the NHL league office has thought of it. What an opportunity for a film company. NFL films started with Sabol's dad and a camera and an idea and now it's a significant corporation. I agree that they've gone downhill a bit and need to remember their roots, but this is PRECISELY what the NHL needs.

But there's one thing that limits this and other ideas that might help the NHL.

ESPN.

The NHL and ESPN need to put their heads together. Hockey is too great, too rich in history and community significance, to relegate to 30 seconds of highlights every four hours.

Through my experience here in the Boston area, they or we have NESN which is heavily Red Sox crap, but I will watch the Bruins stuff although there are no Bruins fans. (much like Bills fans). But as far as hockey shows they do have continuous shows with hot chicks at local clubs and charities with players which at least is something. Remember back in the day when every Bills player had their own show at Eastern Hills Mall. I am surpised it hasnt taken off yet with the Sabres. Anyhow, my experience in Washington DC there was no Capitals crap, or in LA there was no Ducks or Kings stuff besides 4 tix with hot dogs and 4 cokes for $99. Which I think is typical throughout the NHL. New Jersey was pretty heavy into the Devils when I was there, but tickets were always there. Thats my report from the field.

Archived