Who's better ??

Hawk

This team of 1/2 sabres, 1/2 amerks or the team that started the year?? Aside from Drury, and maybe a returning Connolly, who of the injured players are an improvement on the current squad. Even during the broadcast, I forget who said it but, it was said that Max's line is definatly better without him, because Roy and Vanek get to touch the puck a lot more. And how about Kotalik, do we really need him? I dont miss his 50/50 play. And Spacek, hasnt Paetsch been playing better than Spacek was before he got hurt? Even Lindy was on his case about stepping up his play, before he got injured again. You can even tell Kalinin has stepped up his play, because he knows, someone is going to sit when all are healthy. Yea they dont have playoff experience, but how many of the squad from last year did? Whoever we play in the 1st round is going to be in trouble, because all these players are going to be playing all out. Because they know, if they screw up someone else will be skating around they ice holding Lord Stanley over their heads, not them.

This team of 1/2 sabres, 1/2 amerks or the team that started the year?? Aside from Drury, and maybe a returning Connolly, who of the injured players are an improvement on the current squad. Even during the broadcast, I forget who said it but, it was said that Max's line is definatly better without him, because Roy and Vanek get to touch the puck a lot more. And how about Kotalik, do we really need him? I dont miss his 50/50 play. And Spacek, hasnt Paetsch been playing better than Spacek was before he got hurt? Even Lindy was on his case about stepping up his play, before he got injured again. You can even tell Kalinin has stepped up his play, because he knows, someone is going to sit when all are healthy. Yea they dont have playoff experience, but how many of the squad from last year did? Whoever we play in the 1st round is going to be in trouble, because all these players are going to be playing all out. Because they know, if they screw up someone else will be skating around they ice holding Lord Stanley over their heads, not them.

Just when you thought this team couldn't get any more exciting, interesting and fun, it did! Scary good!

I know the kids have this hockey town buzzing. But the real story of this hot streak are three players that have been here all year. Kalinin, Hecht and Roy and all stepped up. I said back at the deadline that the thing that would help the Sabres more than any trade is for Hecht and Roy to step up their game. They have. When Hecht and Roy at the top of their game the Sabres go from a very good team to the best team in hockey.

I'm not Kotalik's biggest fan, but to say that he along with Max & Spacek would not be an improvement over the players currently dressing is a reach IMO. Don't get me wrong, these kids have come up, played well & most importantly helped the Sabres keep on winning on a short term basis.

There will be another day for MacArthur & Kaleta in a Sabres uniform(and maybe Ryan for another team), but not when everyone gets healthy in a few weeks.

I'm not Kotalik's biggest fan, but to say that he along with Max & Spacek would not be an improvement over the players currently dressing is a reach IMO. Don't get me wrong, these kids have come up, played well & most importantly helped the Sabres keep on winning on a short term basis.

There will be another day for MacArthur & Kaleta in a Sabres uniform(and maybe Ryan for another team), but not when everyone gets healthy in a few weeks.

is the knock on Ryan that bad that you see no future with the Sabres?

I know the kids have this hockey town buzzing. But the real story of this hot streak are three players that have been here all year. Kalinin, Hecht and Roy and all stepped up. I said back at the deadline that the thing that would help the Sabres more than any trade is for Hecht and Roy to step up their game. They have. When Hecht and Roy at the top of their game the Sabres go from a very good team to the best team in hockey.

Roy played 24 minutes last night.... that is almost Gretzkyesque for a forward.

Ryan and Stafford will be starters for the Sabres next year. No doubt about it.

Going through the free agency period this summer is going to be maddening. Curse free agency! The surest way to defeat the Sabres is to steal their talent.

Ryan and Stafford and maybe even the likes of MacArthur and Kaleta will be used to backfill losses.

Would you sit Paetsch when Spacek returns?

I'd consider rotating Campbell if he doesn't snap out of it(even though he has played better recently), Teppo(to give him a break every now and then), Kalinin(if he decides to take another left turn to lala land), Paetsch and Spacek. The only guys who stay in the lineup every night are Tallinder and Lydman.

But then again with all the injuries in the forward ranks, dress 7 dmen every game and you don't need to worry about who to send to the pressbox.

No, mainly his age(he will turn 27 in May). I would think that he may look to hook on with another team in order to get a better shot at making the NHL.

Agreed.

There are several NHL teams where he could be an everyday player, IMHO. Unfortunately for him, when all are healthy, Buffalo isn't one of those teams.

I think the difference between the "all-Sabres" team and the "Saberks" is twofold:

First, you have Sabres taking on more responsibility in the absence of others - guys who don't usually PK or play the PP are getting some time there, or are getting more ice time in general and showing they can handle more;

And second, the young guys have brought back that hunger, that fire, that burning desire to prove they belong in the NHL, and that focus & determination seems to have rubbed off on guys like Kalinin, Roy and Hecht. That hunger was a trait that last year's team had in spades, and I am glad to see that most of the (rare) poor play in this recent injury stretch has been a result of guys simply making mistakes, rather than not skating hard or putting in the effort.

Archived