Atlanta Sabres fans, we *did* kill babies....

McJeff215

It turns out we actually did kill babies. A gimmick to cut back on fans for the other team, if you ask me. I think this means I'm supposed to hate the Thrashers again? I guess if all Buffalo fans are jerks, all Thrashers fans need to be hillbillies again. Bah, I was just starting to get over that bias. Oh well.

Found this on their team "Blueland Blog."

http://www.atlantathrashers.com/View.aspx?...35-332c601b2155

He links the the following blog:

http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion...7090.php#007090

What A Game

I want you to do yourself and every other Thrashers fan you know a favor. I want you to dig out your credit card or call your ticket rep and get your tickets now for the March 18 game against the Sabres. Call every neighbor, friend and co-worker you've ever brought to a game and tell them to do the same. It's the only way we're going to avoid a repeat of last night's shenanigans.

There's been some chatter on various blogs lately about the behavior of Sabres fans in various arenas around the league, and now I see why. it's a shame that such a great game was overshadowed by so much obnoxiousness in the stands, hallways and streets. There's something to be said about winning gracefully.

There's also something to be said for consistent officiating. I don't care if Game A is called completely differently from Game B. I don't care if the same crew is inconsistent from night to night. What drives me crazy is when officials aren't consistent form one period (or even one play) to the next. The players (and the fans) need to know what's going to be called and what isn't. Last night they didn't get that.

As for the actual play of the players- I couldn't have been much happier. The Thrashers outscored the Sabres 2-0 at even strength and had it not been for two questionable calls late in the second period this would have been a very different game. I loved the way the defense was clamping down and forcing Buffalo's shooters to take bad shots from the outside. Greg de Vries probably played his best game of the season from a positioning standpoint and the forwards hustled all night long. From a pure aesthetic and entertainment standpoint, it was an outstanding game by both teams and if this is what we can expect in the playoffs, sign me up. The Sabres are a solid team with a spectacular young goalie, and the Thrashers held their own and picked up a point. I'd even go so far as to say that Atlanta outplayed Buffalo and the difference maker was the four straight calls against us in the second period.

If this team plays the way they played last night n their six-game road trip they'll come home with at least four wins, especially if Hossa and Kozlov can regain their form and start scoring in bunches again.

Now let me say a word or two about Ilya Kovalchuk. I know he gets flack from fans and the coaches for his defensive game but from an offensive standpoint he's doing everything he can to try to carry this team right now. Marian Hossa ahs gone five games without a goal and Slava Kozlov has gone 14, but Kovy has picked up eight goals in the last seven games. He has scored in six of those games and in five of them he scored Atlanta's first goal of the game and in the other one he scored the game-winner. Now he has 31 goals- good enough to tie him with Hossa for the team lead and to tie him for fourth in the league. I can't wait to see what he does in the playoffs.

i can handle the nationwide bandwagon fans. I can handle that crap cause i'm a true fan, and i have been since birth. What i can't handle is the fact that all sabres fans, especially those that travel (myself included) are generalized as being hooligans. Unless there's verifiable proof, police records, or actual video of such debauchery, i wish that the media would get off of the backs of die hard fans and onto the backs of actual criminals... Like flyers fans who throw beer glasses at head coaches or toronto fans who smoke illegal substances in restrooms of the hsbc.

Corp....I went to the Sens game at HSBC the other night and was pretty sad to see the behavior in our own building. It was Main Place Mall loitering night as the average age of ticketholders in the 300 level was 16. There was a group of about 20 or so chanting obscenities, and it felt a little grimey there. Quite a different feel from the begining of the season when everyone was electrified.

I don't know what to make of it anymore. I used to discount stories of road trip rapes and pillages, but there has to be some truth to it.

Boys, I feel a rant coming on. I'd like to place a disclaimer here that these are mostly OPINIONS and may contain some GENERALIZATIONS...haha.

I cannot stand bandwagon fans, I think it's lame and not cool. But since when are fans that decide to travel to regular season road games bandwagon fans?

Secondly, while I obviously don't like to see Buffalo or it's fans get a bad rep in other cities, part of me thinks it's totally awesome and hilarious that we're "those guys". People here in Buffalo are the most down-to-earth, respectful and character filled people in the US. Buffalo itself is a city that is being reborn, one rehabbed building at a time. It's making slow but steady progress. I truly believe that what's happening here in Buffalo is akin to the rebirth that Baltimore and Cleveland experienced 10 years ago. So we're a little behind the times...oh well.

Honestly though, spend a month here in Buffalo with someone who knows where to go and what to do in the city and the surrounding area and anyone will get a completely different impression. Wake up on a Saturday morning after our city gets 7 inches of snow overnight, look out on the street and see that your driveway has already been snowblowed by a neighbor, and watch people helping each other out all over. Every other city in the country would have been crying and declaring a state of emergency.

You know what Buffalo fans are fantastic at? Making their presence felt and knowing how to have a good time. What's the point of a road trip to a road game if you're not going to booze hard once you get there? Do you need to punch old people and punch children? No. Can your group of 50 cheer louder than the entire rest of the arena and chant "Let's Go Buffalo"? YES. Should you always remember your manners when you're a guest at someone else's house? YES. Do some people who happen to be Sabres fans not know this? YES.

Regardless of what I think, Buffalo gets pooped on by everyone in the country probably as much as any place other than New Jersey. The snow, the recovering economy and not having a championship are all easy jokes, but you know what? That all combines into Buffalo fans having more pride in our two teams, and more passion about them than any other city in the country. What's even better, is that on the whole, Buffalo fans are as knowledgeable about the sports they cheer for as any other city.

So do I care that we "invade" other cities come the playoffs, and regular season and make a mockery of their "fan base"? Absolutely not. Because honestly, we're not just trying to be jerks, we're just trying to let people know that its OK to be THIS passionate about their hometown teams.

lol, ive had long talks with some of the Thrashers fans i know after the game the other night. every single one of them admitted that they were just really PO'ed that they got out cheered in their own arena. we had a group of 25 and there was LOTS of good natured ribbing back and forth but none of us came close to getting into any scuffles. i mentioned before that a couple of "cowboys" challeneged us to a fist fight but we laughed them off cause they were just being sore losers.

my friends and i pride ourselves in getting under the other teams skin, we once had a few players from an opposing team come out of the dugout and challenge us to a fight after a Bison's game once.

the most important part is that we follow certain rules in our heckling. such as NO SWEARING. no picking on one certain fan. etc.

as my native atlantian friends told me, theyre just sick of the "carpet baggers" and really didnt like being out-numbered in their own backyard.

but no one does.

i told them they should come up with me to a Buffalo/Toronto game and see how thigns go down in REAL hockey territory.

I was at the Atlanta game, in the 300 level and I didn't witness anything bad. It's just like every other time, where a few bad apples get generalized to all fans as a whole.

The one thing I don't like is people yelling "Let's Go Buffalo" during the national anthem. I have heard that at a few games (I go to all road games against the Canes and Thrashers). I believe that's the one part of the game that should be free of such things...

I'll tell you nothing gets me more po'ed then when fans cheer/boo during the national anthems. I happened to catch a Amerks/Marlies game into Toronto and when the US national anthem played the ENTIRE ARENA minus me and a couple friends booed heavily. I was livid. Boo my team... hell take pot shots at me I don't care, but boo my country... c'mon. Regardless of what sh!t for brains GW does it shouldn't cross over into hockey.

i hold the time during the national anthems sacred as well. but after being at well over 1000 sporting events at my young age(27) the singing of the anthems seems like a weird tradition.

whats the reasoning behind starting sporting events with our national anthem? are any other events started by the singing of the anthem?

at this point it almost seems like an empty gesture thats only purpose is to let fans know the game is about to start.

i love our country and all, but it seems weird that we have to get all patriotic and listen to someone (9 times out of 10) butcher these songs. when really, we're just there for what is essentially a meaningless game.

why all the patriotism to watch grown men play a game?

i stand up, remove my hat, and sing. but why?

it's a tribute to the men and women of the past who fought and died for our countries' freedom and way of life...without whom sporting events would not be possible. we must always remember and pay our respect to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

"good keep our land glorious and free." think about it.

I was at the Atlanta game, in the 300 level and I didn't witness anything bad. It's just like every other time, where a few bad apples get generalized to all fans as a whole.

The one thing I don't like is people yelling "Let's Go Buffalo" during the national anthem. I have heard that at a few games (I go to all road games against the Canes and Thrashers). I believe that's the one part of the game that should be free of such things...

I remember listening to the All-Star game a few weeks back. I didn't know that the Dallas Stars fans would shout the word "STARS!" when that word is sung in the US national anthem. Then again, when I was passing time driving on the highway earlier today, I caught the Stars-Ducks game on XM. They did it again.

Yeah. OK. Whatever.

I really don't think it's appropriate, but what else would you expect from the lone team in the Texas Recreational League (TRL)?

Boys, I feel a rant coming on. I'd like to place a disclaimer here that these are mostly OPINIONS and may contain some GENERALIZATIONS...haha.

I cannot stand bandwagon fans, I think it's lame and not cool. But since when are fans that decide to travel to regular season road games bandwagon fans?

Secondly, while I obviously don't like to see Buffalo or it's fans get a bad rep in other cities, part of me thinks it's totally awesome and hilarious that we're "those guys". People here in Buffalo are the most down-to-earth, respectful and character filled people in the US. Buffalo itself is a city that is being reborn, one rehabbed building at a time. It's making slow but steady progress. I truly believe that what's happening here in Buffalo is akin to the rebirth that Baltimore and Cleveland experienced 10 years ago. So we're a little behind the times...oh well.

Honestly though, spend a month here in Buffalo with someone who knows where to go and what to do in the city and the surrounding area and anyone will get a completely different impression. Wake up on a Saturday morning after our city gets 7 inches of snow overnight, look out on the street and see that your driveway has already been snowblowed by a neighbor, and watch people helping each other out all over. Every other city in the country would have been crying and declaring a state of emergency.

You know what Buffalo fans are fantastic at? Making their presence felt and knowing how to have a good time. What's the point of a road trip to a road game if you're not going to booze hard once you get there? Do you need to punch old people and punch children? No. Can your group of 50 cheer louder than the entire rest of the arena and chant "Let's Go Buffalo"? YES. Should you always remember your manners when you're a guest at someone else's house? YES. Do some people who happen to be Sabres fans not know this? YES.

Regardless of what I think, Buffalo gets pooped on by everyone in the country probably as much as any place other than New Jersey. The snow, the recovering economy and not having a championship are all easy jokes, but you know what? That all combines into Buffalo fans having more pride in our two teams, and more passion about them than any other city in the country. What's even better, is that on the whole, Buffalo fans are as knowledgeable about the sports they cheer for as any other city.

So do I care that we "invade" other cities come the playoffs, and regular season and make a mockery of their "fan base"? Absolutely not. Because honestly, we're not just trying to be jerks, we're just trying to let people know that its OK to be THIS passionate about their hometown teams.

Very well said.

I listened to that blog, and I heard nothing about Sabres fans.

However, I thought it was interesting that he brought up a poll on the 3 dirtiest hockey players out there. 3rd, Jarkko Ruutu. 2nd, Darius Kasparaitis (definitely not surprising). 1st, Todd Bertuzzi (Steve Moore incident)

What they didn't say was who was the dirtiest player to ever play the game. I think the general consensus on this board would be Claude Lemieux. I think that Scotty Bowman, Kris Draper, and Darren McCarty would have a few things to say about that. In retrospect, I'm surprised that The Other Lemieux was able to walk away from the game without being confined to a wheelchair.

it's a tribute to the men and women of the past who fought and died for our countries' freedom and way of life...without whom sporting events would not be possible. we must always remember and pay our respect to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

"good keep our land glorious and free." think about it.

really? so if i go off to a foreign war and die, the way im honored is by some 12 year old singing our country's anthem before 30 over-paid, spoiled, multi-millionaires throw a ball around for an hour while 20,000 jerks get drunk and eat hot-dogs?? really??

and i noticed you quoted the canadian national anthem. what battle did they fight that kept an evil force from taking over the world?

please, dont get me wrong. i respect what our soldiers have done more than(or as much as) anyone. THAT is why im questioning youre reasoning. i think they deserve a little more than that.

my point is that sports are a recreation. a luxury. and other than pat tillman, whose memory has been exploited, i doubt any professional athlete even knows where places such as Iwo Jima and Hanoi are, let alone what went on there.

im not trying to cheapen the memory of fallen soldiers, i think thats what the singing of our anthems des before such frivolous events. in reality, the only time most of our citizens even HEARS the anthem is before a sporting event. and thats just sad.

really? so if i go off to a foreign war and die, the way im honored is by some 12 year old singing our country's anthem before 30 over-paid, spoiled, multi-millionaires throw a ball around for an hour while 20,000 jerks get drunk and eat hot-dogs?? really??

and i noticed you quoted the canadian national anthem. what battle did they fight that kept an evil force from taking over the world?

please, dont get me wrong. i respect what our soldiers have done more than(or as much as) anyone. THAT is why im questioning youre reasoning. i think they deserve a little more than that.

my point is that sports are a recreation. a luxury. and other than pat tillman, whose memory has been exploited, i doubt any professional athlete even knows where places such as Iwo Jima and Hanoi are, let alone what went on there.

im not trying to cheapen the memory of fallen soldiers, i think thats what the singing of our anthems des before such frivolous events. in reality, the only time most of our citizens even HEARS the anthem is before a sporting event. and thats just sad.

Sporting events are civic events, as frivolous as they might be in the larger scheme of things. Where else do you get 20,000 or 40,000, or 80,000 of your fellow citizens together in one place. The professional and collegiate sports leagues recognize this and play the anthems to let people demonstrate their pride, respect, and gratitude for their country and fellow countrymen.

Also, when you have a heated rivalry, like the Sabres/Canes, it's nice to take a moment before the hate begins to boil to remind everyone that we do share common goals.

I also like hearing the Canadian anthem, because it reminds me that we share something more than a passion for hockey with our neighbors.

also, I attended a world cup match in Germany (holy sh!t an American likes soccer) and each country's anthem was played prior to the match, so its not just an American thing. Its a sign of respect and pride. These teams represent different American and Canadian cities so the Anthem is justified.

also, I attended a world cup match in Germany (holy sh!t an American likes soccer) and each country's anthem was played prior to the match, so its not just an American thing. Its a sign of respect and pride. These teams represent different American and Canadian cities so the Anthem is justified.

i completely understand it for international sporting events. that makes sense more than anything.

I remember listening to the All-Star game a few weeks back. I didn't know that the Dallas Stars fans would shout the word "STARS!" when that word is sung in the US national anthem. Then again, when I was passing time driving on the highway earlier today, I caught the Stars-Ducks game on XM. They did it again.

Yeah. OK. Whatever.

I really don't think it's appropriate, but what else would you expect from the lone team in the Texas Recreational League (TRL)?

Canes fans do the same thing, they scream RED, during "Rockets red glare."

It is defended as a tradition.

I think of the Hanson brothers, "I am listening to the F'in song."

Canes fans do the same thing, they scream RED, during "Rockets red glare."

It is defended as a tradition.

I think of the Hanson brothers, "I am listening to the F'in song."

In Baltimore they yell "O" during "Oh say does that star spangled..." at O's and Ravens games. It gets extremely loud, but I can remember it happening for a long time. I don't think anyone really finds it offensive, and I personally think it's pretty cool.

cornell fans yell "red."

clarkson fans yell "knight." (through the *night*...)

it's cool. traditions.

dr.d, there are plenty of other memorials for the veterans of american wars. i honestly don't know of any for canadian vets, but the wall in the mall, tomb of the unknown soldier, monuments for WWI, WWII, the korean war, and all of arlington national cemetary all stand as dedications to those who deserve our reverence.

Corp....I went to the Sens game at HSBC the other night and was pretty sad to see the behavior in our own building. It was Main Place Mall loitering night as the average age of ticketholders in the 300 level was 16. There was a group of about 20 or so chanting obscenities, and it felt a little grimey there. Quite a different feel from the begining of the season when everyone was electrified.

I don't know what to make of it anymore. I used to discount stories of road trip rapes and pillages, but there has to be some truth to it.

I'm a Sabres fan here in Atlanta, and really want to make the March 18th game, to contribute to the loud and boisterous Buffalo chorus! Is there a particular section that attracts lots of Sabres fans? I may bring my son or end up going alone, so it would be nice to have some Sabres fans around me. Thanks for any advice...

I'm a Sabres fan here in Atlanta, and really want to make the March 18th game, to contribute to the loud and boisterous Buffalo chorus! Is there a particular section that attracts lots of Sabres fans? I may bring my son or end up going alone, so it would be nice to have some Sabres fans around me. Thanks for any advice...

a bunch of my friends went with this group, i think theyre based out of buckhead?

they havent updated since the last game

but im pretty sure theyre doing a group for the next game too

and i noticed you quoted the Canadian national anthem. what battle did they fight that kept an evil force from taking over the world?

On June 6, 1944, the 3rd Canadian Division (supported by tanks of the independent 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade) landed on Juno Beach in the Battle of Normandy. Canadian Airborne troops had also landed earlier in the day behind the beaches. Resistance on Juno was fierce, and casualties were high in the assault waves, in particular the first assault waves which sustained a 50 percent casualty rate. By day's end, however, the Canadians had made the deepest penetrations inland of any of the five seaborne invasion forces. The Canadians went on to play an important role in the subsequent fighting in Normandy, with the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division coming ashore in July and the 4th Armoured Division in August.

Canadian Military History

When you consider their much smaller population, I'd say they deserve some respect.

Archived