GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

There's been talk that the follow-through of a shot or pass can't lead to a high-stick penalty. Yet I've been seeing them called all season long on the Sabres. What gives?

The Atlanta announcers are mis-quoting the rule.

Rule 61. High Sticks

A "high stick" is one which is carried above the height of the opponent's shoulders. A player is permitted accidental contact on the opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.

(Emphasis added).

Atlanta's announcers are forgetting 1 word in their definition. Perhaps the officials felt that the follow through came up too high.

I got the Atlanta Homers on CI. Personally, their bitchin' makes me laught like hell!

They've called the game pretty fair... They correctly called vanek for holding the stick. That's something most announcers wouldn't do. I just can't get over the stupid nicknames... "kovie to metro"... first of all, nobody should be nicknamed Metro... second, call the game fair "soupy to shifty B to poms!"

What a shot by Vanek and what a pass by Paetsch. Paetsch deserves to stay up for a long time.

I don't think you need to campaign for Paetsch any longer. At this point, he's part of the "big team". He's been playing huge since playing on the forward line, which is great because now we can get rid of Peters or Kalinin with confidence. (I am almost ashamed to say it, but I think Kalinin will stay... he has his value, but certainly not one of our best D-men.)

And yeah, Vanek's shot: PING! Off the post and in! A thing of beauty and a true goal-scorere's goal. Maybe he can find that groove.

I hope they can seal the win.... to do so against a higher seed in their conference would be great. Then knocking off the Sens would set the stage for a nice roll.

First things first: FINISH THE DEAL BOYS! You're lookin' good! :thumbsup:

Yes, the term is "Dominic Hasek"

I don't believe that at all. There's way too much hating on the Dominator. Sure he's a crybaby, but folks forget that he pretty much carried those teams in the late 90s, and truly deserved those 2 Hart trophies. Opponents could not score on him when he saw the puck. Giving up softies? That ain't how I remember it. The guy stood on his head every night for a ton of 2-1 wins with "the hardest working team in hockey." Ah memories.

The boys need to come out strong in the 3rd and score early. Otherwise.... :wallbash:

I didn't have a problem with the 1st goal, as it was one of the best scorers in the league (Kovalchuk) from the faceoff circle.

the problem is that you say that every game. Every game Miller gets beat by these shots. If this is going to be the case - then the reality is that Ryan is just an average goalie and not an All-Star.

after 2, its 3-2 sabres.. miller has his "marty moments" with those goals, but the sabres worked through a 2-1 deficit and made it 3-2 late in the 2nd period. All power play goals. The PP looks fantastic tonight. Right now they're 3 for 5. Very worrisome being ahead by a goal, but we'll see what miller can or cannot produce in the 3rd period.l

I am hereby nominating the Thrashers' announcers as the second-worst in the league, behind NESN's cast of douchebags. What a bunch of frigging crybabies.

Anyone who says they prefer the Sabres original logo is alright in my book.

PP looks like the confidence level is back up. Even strength, seems to be the trade off. :doh:

Miller isn't Miller right now. I take comfort in the fact that he turned it around last year, too. :thumbsup:

I don't believe that at all. There's way too much hating on the Dominator. Sure he's a crybaby, but folks forget that he pretty much carried those teams in the late 90s, and truly deserved those 2 Hart trophies. Opponents could not score on him when he saw the puck. Giving up softies? That ain't how I remember it. The guy stood on his head every night for a ton of 2-1 wins with "the hardest working team in hockey." Ah memories.

The boys need to come out strong in the 3rd and score early. Otherwise.... :wallbash:

Hasek was great! Good post

D00d relax, It's a JOKE!

the problem is that you say that every game. Every game Miller gets beat by these shots. If this is going to be the case - then the reality is that Ryan is just an average goalie and not an All-Star.

I think you have me confused with someone else.

90% of the goalies in the league would be beat by Kovalchuk from that spot. He has 31 goals this year and 52 last year. It wasn't a great goal to give up, but considering the shooter, I can give Ryan a pass..

Thanks boys. I'm back in business. Let's go, seal the effin deal!!

Yep re Hasek....except for that unfortunate case of kasparaitis he contracted back in 2000 or whenever it was. :(

Incidentally, man, these announcers SUCK! Good thing for them no one in Georgia is listening.

Archived