Flames fan coming to Buffalo

Table 5

So I hope this is the right section to post this in, but I'm coming to Buffalo in a couple of weeks for the Calgary game (I'm a Flames fan) and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

Can you guys recommend a fairly affordable and decent hotel in the area that is close to the arena?

How far is the Buffalo airport from the actual stadium? I'm thinking of flying there, but just want to make sure it isn't located an hour way, making me have to spend a fortune on a cab. Is the train station closer?

Is the arena itself pretty close to downtown? What other places (ie, local food must-eats) around there do you recommend for someone who has a few hours to kill?

Thanks for the help. I've never been to Buffalo but I'm really looking forward to it. The Sabres have been one of the my favourite teams in the east for a long time (after the Whalers!) so I'm looking forward to them taking on my Flames.

I live in western canada, and I went to Buffalo for a couple of games (Sharks and Flames) back in 97. We found it cheaper at the time to fly to Toronto and rent a car to drive to Buffalo.

Plus it's a lovely drive....NOT! All I remember is fields of grape vines and city after freakin' city. It's ridiculous how many people live on that QEW. Hamilton was a real treat, too. It's beautiful, beautiful like having sex with a 90 year old woman. But enough insults.

Buffalo didn't seem so bad, they have a great art gallery, Seymour Knox Gallery, I believe. They have an area of bars that aren't that far from the arena. You know what struck me the most, was how old so much of the city is. Buildings are old and dirty, worn-looking. I'd imagine Toronto was the same, but I just drove through it quickly. Out here, in Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, everything is so new looking, well 'cause it is. Buffalo is probably 300 years old, at least, where as our cities are barely 100 years old.

I don't mean that as a slight against Buffalo or any eastern north american city, it's just that when growing up I was always under the impression the big american and canadian cities out east were shiny and new and magnificent. Nope. Lots of freakin' people.

Table, I'll try to help. I haven't lived in the Buffalo area in almost 9 years.

HSBC Arena is located in downtown Buffalo. It is just south of the Niagara Thruway. The airport is about 10 miles away (at most). The airport is also located near Interstate 90, which you can take from there and go to the Niagara Thruway to downtown. The Arena is also very close to the lakefront. Bundle up. It can get bitterly cold when the winds and snow come up off the lake.

There are hotels located up Main Street from the Arena. However, they can get pretty pricey. We do have a Hyatt Regency and an Adam's Mark Hotel there. On the other hand, if you want something that may be cheaper, then getting a hotel room close to the airport may be your best bet (as long as you can put up with jet engine noise).

While you're here, try to head on over to the Anchor Bar and Grill. This is the birthplace of the world-famous Buffalo Wings.

Also, don't let Rabbit151 deter you about Buffalo's age. To be precise, we haven't even hit 200 years yet as a city. It does need a facelift, though.

I wish there was more information I could provide to you. Maybe some of my fellow Sabres fans who still live in the Buffalo area can be of more help to you.

At any rate, cheers! :beer:

So I hope this is the right section to post this in, but I'm coming to Buffalo in a couple of weeks for the Calgary game (I'm a Flames fan) and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

Can you guys recommend a fairly affordable and decent hotel in the area that is close to the arena?

How far is the Buffalo airport from the actual stadium? I'm thinking of flying there, but just want to make sure it isn't located an hour way, making me have to spend a fortune on a cab. Is the train station closer?

Is the arena itself pretty close to downtown? What other places (ie, local food must-eats) around there do you recommend for someone who has a few hours to kill?

Thanks for the help. I've never been to Buffalo but I'm really looking forward to it. The Sabres have been one of the my favourite teams in the east for a long time (after the Whalers!) so I'm looking forward to them taking on my Flames.

Airport to rink is about a 20 minute drive. I would definitely recommend renting a car. Parking is cheap and traffic isn't heavy.

There's a "subway" (name in quotes because it's above ground for the downtown portion of it's run) which you could take a cab from the airport to UB's Main St campus, or you could take a cab downtown, but neither strikes me as a particularily good option. Amtrack isn't a particularily good option either. I know of a station a few miles from the airport but have no idea when or even if trains head into downtown.

There are 4 hotels fairly close to the rink (Hyatt, Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, and Adam's Mark). There's a Microtel and a couple of other hotels that are within a 5 minute drive from the airport. I'd probably go with the Hyatt or Microtel, but think all of them are reasonable. Check Travelocity or Expedia for prices.

The rink is right on the waterfront, so it doesn't get much more downtown. There's a bar right around the corner from the rink (Cobblestone) that I know some Sabres used to hang out in (and assume they still do). There are a couple of other bars within (long) walking distance from the rink (Pearl St. Grill, Irish Times) and the popular bars are not far from the free portion of the subway and there is a station right between the new rink and the Aud. You really won't need a car for getting around town after the game, but you'll probably want one to go from the Airport to that side of town. Just hop on the "Kensington" Expressway (Rte 33) and it will take you right into downtown. You'll be about 12 blocks away from the rink where it ends.

If you stay downtown, you'll probably want to head to the Anchor Bar which is generally acknowledged as the restaurant where wings were 1st served / invented. If you stay near the Airport, head to Duff's (~5-10 minute drive) - they have better wings than Anchor Bar. Also, if you stay near the Airport, there is a very small restaurant a few miles away, Schwabl's, that serves another Buffalo specialty - beef on weck. (It's a roast beef sandwich on a kimmelwick roll that you put horseradish on. I'm drooling just thinking about it.)

For local fast food fare, again if you stay near the airport, head East on Genesee and turn left onto Transit. About a mile past the Thruway exit you'll find Mighty Taco and Ted's Hot Dogs. Mighty Taco is Buffalo-style Mexican food and Ted's has the best dogs, fries (served w/ vinegar), and loganberry juice. My wife also claims the onion rings are excellent as well.

A little bit further up, on Main St. just off the corner of Transit is the Buffalo Brew Pub. They have good food, make their own beer and have a very wide assortment of other beers, and you can still throw the peanut shells on the floor.

Hope some of this helps.

I would have thought Buffalo was older than that. The older buildings sure looked grungey though. Maybe they used different building material, or it's due to living on the lake, or the higher humidity. I suppose there is a lot more pollution there with all the industry along those rivers. I didn't mean to say it's a horrible city, it's just that I was shocked at how different it was from cities out here. Montreal is much older than Buffalo but they seem to have spent a lot more time and money on turning older areas into charming tourist destinations. Now if we could just get them to speak more english....

As far as hotels are concerned, Adams Mark is the main hotel downtown. Near the airport is a Sheraton on Walden Ave (unless the name of the hotel has changed recently). Chippewa St. and elmwood are the two bar districts near downtown. Elmwood Ave is a great place to walk around during the day. On game day, Pearl Street Grille and Brewery is probably the choice of many to have dinner and a drink before going to the arena (on Pearl Street obviously).

One thing to note if renting a car. Everything in Buffalo is 20 minutes away from each other. Airport to arena, Arena to Duffs, Airport to Duffs, Buffalo Brew pub to Arena, etc. Everything no matter where you go is 20 minutes or less.

Welcome to Buffalo!

Buffalo is a very very easy city to drive in, traffic (as long as there isn't more than 8 inches of snow) is hardly ever a problem. Dave B is absolutely right in that renting a car is the way to go.

There are plenty of local bars and restaraunts to check out while you're in town.

Before the game, Pearl St Brewery is a great vibe...it is a rehabbed warehouse that now contains 3 levels worth of micro-brews and very good food. There is a pre-game buffet deal (all you can eat pizza, wings, roast beef, salad and pasta for about $18). If you plan on getting a table with a waitress and ordering off the menu, get to Pear St at least 2 hours before game time. The arena is about a 4 block walk (and very easy - simply "follow the crowd").

After the game, your best bet for a fun night is to hop on the light rail (Metro Rail, technically speaking) - don't try to squeeze into one of the cars closest to the arena, instead, walk the extra 50ft to the front of the train and be comfortable. The Metrorail is free "above ground", so take it up to the Fountain Plaza stop, then get off and go check out West Chippewa (everyone just calls it Chippewa). Chippewa St was Buffalo's "red-light district" (and I'm not talking hockey) as late as the early 90's, but has been transformed into a very lively bar/club strip. It's not uncommon for Sabres stop in at 67 West after the game (I saw Andrew Peters and Derek Roy there Saturday night...and that was after a road game!). Some places will ask for a cover on the weekend (like SoHo), but there are plenty of good places to have a few beers. Top the night off by grabbing either a Chicken Finger sub or Steak and Cheese at Jim's Steakout...and be sure to order the fries as well.

While you're in town you can check out the Anchor Bar (on Main St), the place where Chicken Wings originated, but it is touristy and no one that lives in Buffalo actually goes there. You can get better wings downtown at Gabriel's Gate on Allen St, or if you want to go for a 20 minute ride from downtown, head out to Duff's on Millersport Hwy.

Be sure to stop by the New Era Cap (official hat of MLB, and a great selection of NHL hats as well) Headquarters on Delaware Ave (about 2 blocks from City Hall). It's a brand new store, and has some really great hats that they stock seasonally, so you can easily grab a sweet new Flames hat.

If you're looking to kill time during the afternoon you can check out the Elmwood strip, which features lots of shops and bars. Elmwood near Allen has some good places...if you head north on Elmwood the bars become much more college oriented.

The Albright Knox art gallery truly is world renowned (if you're REALLY bored) and is a simple drive up Elmwood to get there. A better option would be to check out the Buffalo Auto Show, which will be taking place at the Buffalo Convention Center from Feb 7-11. I've been the last few years, and while it's not the Detroit or LA Auto Show, it's a good way to spend a cold afternoon and see some sweet concept cars. There are usually "Winterfest" type activities taking place near the Convention Center and Niagara Square that weekend as well.

Make sure you stay away from the hotdogs at the HSBC Arena (the chicken finger basket is your best bet). For the most delicious hot dog you've ever had, head over to Ted's on Sheridan Dr in Tonawanda, and then head across the street to Anderson's for the best frozen custard in the Northeast (US).

You should be able to find all the above mentioned places easily through Mapquest/Google maps. Do some homework early, or just ask the concierge at your hotel. The Adam's Mark is closest to the arena, The Hampton Inn is nearest to Chippewa (thus eliminating the need for a car/parking on game night - which will save you $6 or so).

Finally...your best bet is to check out the Buffalo Visitors Guide...it actually is a really really good site.

http://www.buffalocvb.org/home.asp

BEST OF LUCK AND SAFE TRAVELS!

the drive from Toronto isn't that horrible, its actually not a bad drive. Its not as exciting as driving along the ocean, or through the rockies, but its not as horrible as rabbit has described.

Buffalo only looks old cause theres a fair amount of run down buildings all over. Hopefully some of there plans go through cause it could become a very nice area

Buffalo is a good example of a "Donut Hole" rust belt city surrounded by rings of suburbs. VERY GENERALLY SPEAKING...up through the 50's and early sixties industry thrived and people lived downtown. Workers fled to the suburbs to avoid taxation and various criminal and parasitic influences. Industry was killed or forced to move by unions and taxes. The parasitic "Hole" in the donut decayed because the productive host was gone.

You see the same thing all over the NE. Philly, Cleveland, Pitt, Detroit, Baltimore, etc. There are two trends occuring to try to reverse this. 1. "Hole" cities are trying to set up "regional" governments to allow them to tax the escaped productive host. 2. Old abandoned buildings are being transformed through private investment into mixed use living/working neighborhoods and trendy lofts to try to lure productive citizenry back into the hole so they can be taxed. This is called "regentrification". It is well underway in places like Cleveland and Philly and is gaining ground in BFLO.

If you're gonna bar hop...don't drive. A taxi from the airport to downtown is $25 each way. While downtown, you can easily walk or take the train to the Chippewa strip as mentioned. Pick up an "Artvoice". They are free and everywhere and will have the rundown on what's happening that week. For outstanding live blues see who's playing at the Lafayette Tap Room. Don't know about Calgary, but a lot of Canadian fans (Habs & Leafs) seem to frequent the Washington Square pub. Someone correctly mentoned Scwabls, another good choice for Beef on Weck is Charlie the Butcher. He has a downtown shop in the lobby of the Ellicott Square bldg. Good stuff.

Buffalo's got it's good and bad like everywhere. I've lived a lot of places and choose to be here. When you get oot and aboot, let people know you're from Calgary. We like Canadians, just not Leaf Fans! Welcome to Buffalo.

In fairness to you QEW folks, I've only been on that road twice, once to Buffalo from Toronto, and then back to Toronto.

It probably isn't as bad as I said, memory can be funny as the years go by, and it's been 10 years since I was there. My impression looking back is just what I said though. City after city with some industrial areas and lots of grape fields.

Come for a drive out here on the trans-canada highway, through Saskatchewan. It's about a 7 hour drive through an ocean of prairie. You'll see one city of about 200,000 people, two more cities of about 15 and 35 thousand people and about 15-20 towns not much bigger than a main street and grain elevator. And you will basically see nothing else on all horizons for as far as you can look. Truckers get real excited about the drive through Saskatchewan.

The contrast between the QEW and the Trans-Canada is as shocking as the difference between July 30th and January 30th. Actually, a better description is that it's as shocking as the difference between the October Sabres and the January Sabres. Anyways, that's probably why my memory is of all that urban area I saw.

But, what the heck, I'm looking forward to coming out to Buffalo for the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm kind of broke right now, so if you could recommend a nice park to sleep in, that would be great. I think there was a park near that Albright Knox Museum.

In fairness to you QEW folks, I've only been on that road twice, once to Buffalo from Toronto, and then back to Toronto.

It probably isn't as bad as I said, memory can be funny as the years go by, and it's been 10 years since I was there. My impression looking back is just what I said though. City after city with some industrial areas and lots of grape fields.

Come for a drive out here on the trans-canada highway, through Saskatchewan. It's about a 7 hour drive through an ocean of prairie. You'll see one city of about 200,000 people, two more cities of about 15 and 35 thousand people and about 15-20 towns not much bigger than a main street and grain elevator. And you will basically see nothing else on all horizons for as far as you can look. Truckers get real excited about the drive through Saskatchewan.

The contrast between the QEW and the Trans-Canada is as shocking as the difference between July 30th and January 30th. Actually, a better description is that it's as shocking as the difference between the October Sabres and the January Sabres. Anyways, that's probably why my memory is of all that urban area I saw.

But, what the heck, I'm looking forward to coming out to Buffalo for the Stanley Cup Finals. I'm kind of broke right now, so if you could recommend a nice park to sleep in, that would be great. I think there was a park near that Albright Knox Museum.

Nah Rabbit...just stay out in western canada. We don't want you bashing Buffalo in June. Watch on TSN.

Everyone's advice on where to go is right on. Definitely go to Gabriels Gate over Anchor Bar for wings. Anchor Bar has terrible service...is an obnoxious tourist trap...and the wings are better at local pizzerias than there. I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Buffalo has some of the best pizza going. There are pizzerias everywhere. Like bars, you can throw a stone and hit one. The area around HSBC Arena is kinda desolate...but take the metro rail to get to civilization. But that been said already.

table -

big ups to alberta, as the late biggie smalls might have said (you know, had he been from western canada, and not brooklyn) - hope you enjoy your visit.

as is generally the case when dave b's posted on something, there's not much left to be said. i am posting only to endorse what both dave and top shelf recommended. i'm looking forward to seeing your squad.

You want boring, try the 401 between Hamilton and Windsor (Although that stretch through Saskatchewan looks to be much more hypnotizing). The QEW is definitely alot more exciting... and not just the scenery, but the intensity you need to drive with in order to survive.

...and yes, Delaware Park behind the Albright-Knox is pretty nice in the spring/summer. You can sleep in the Rose Garden and be close to the Elmwood strip :).

Truckers get real excited about the drive through Saskatchewan.

Really, I have never heard that before, I always heard the drive was boring when you enter Manitoba, til you hit Alberta. I've heard Saskatchewan is one of the most boring places to drive through cause its so flat and nothing but fields

Go over the Peace Bridge to Pure Platinum in Fort Erie. :worthy:

Best strip bar I've ever been to! Then again, I don' t live in Canada.

Pffft, Amateur

If your going to cross the border and go to a strip club, atleast take the extra 20-30 minutes and go to the Sundowner on Lundy's lane in Niagara Falls. Its the only strip club endorsed by former Buffalo Bill Eric Moulds!

Really, I have never heard that before, I always heard the drive was boring when you enter Manitoba, til you hit Alberta. I've heard Saskatchewan is one of the most boring places to drive through cause its so flat and nothing but fields

Pffft, Amateur

If your going to cross the border and go to a strip club, atleast take the extra 20-30 minutes and go to the Sundowner on Lundy's lane in Niagara Falls. Its the only strip club endorsed by former Buffalo Bill Eric Moulds!

Sorry, that was supposed to be dripping with sarcasm. Everybody complains about the boring drive through southern Saskatchewan. Lots of truckers stop over in Regina and hit the bar I work at. They're never too excited about the drive.

Man, amazing response! Thanks for all the help guys, this is definitely going to make this a better experience. It totally slipped my mind that Buffalo was home to the wings, so a trip to that Anchor's place seems like a must. I won't have a car with me unfortunately, so everywhere i go will either have to be walking or bus/metro distance.

I'll only be in town for the weekend, but Im also looking forward to just wandering around downtown and taking things in. As much flack Buffalo seems to get, it really is a town with some amazing history and architecture (plus probably the coolest city hall anywhere).

Oh and since everyone here is so nice, do you think you could be a dear and give us Toni Lydman back?

Man, amazing response! Thanks for all the help guys, this is definitely going to make this a better experience. It totally slipped my mind that Buffalo was home to the wings, so a trip to that Anchor's place seems like a must. I won't have a car with me unfortunately, so everywhere i go will either have to be walking or bus/metro distance.

I'll only be in town for the weekend, but Im also looking forward to just wandering around downtown and taking things in. As much flack Buffalo seems to get, it really is a town with some amazing history and architecture (plus probably the coolest city hall anywhere).

Oh and since everyone here is so nice, do you think you could be a dear and give us Toni Lydman back?

Have you watched games this year and read posts on here, I'm sure that request won't be a huge problem, We'll make you a deal, We'll take Phaneuf off your hands for Lydman and Peters? Iknow, I know, your ripping us off, but the Sabres need to shed Payroll

Have you watched games this year and read posts on here, I'm sure that request won't be a huge problem, We'll make you a deal, We'll take Phaneuf off your hands for Lydman and Peters? Iknow, I know, your ripping us off, but the Sabres need to shed Payroll

:lol:

A couple of other random ideas, to add to what everyone else has contributed:

If you're already downtown the morning of the game, you can head down to HSBC arena at 10:00 AM to watch the Sabres' game-day skate. It usually lasts about 40 minutes. The visiting teams usually take the ice afterwards, at about 11 or so. I don't know if the public is allowed to watch the visiting team practice, but you could certainly try to catch the Flames. Also, HSBC arena has a large retail store, which carries plenty of Sabres merchandise, but also stuff from other teams.

Rotary Rink (at Fountain Plaza) is a nice outdoor ice rink in the middle of downtown. It's free and you can rent skates for $3. It's usually pretty busy on weekends.

Check out the New Era Cap building on Delaware Ave. It just opened recently and there is a retail store inside.

A good place to get visitors guides, maps, and other brochures is the Market Arcade building, on the ground floor (not to be confused with the Market Arcade Theatre, which is nearby). You can access the building from both Main St and Washington St.

Have fun!

Ha, well he might not be the Toni of old, but that trade still evokes bitter feelings since it seemed like such a poor management of players by Sutter (especially compared to his other moves). Plus, we could still use a defenseman with good puck moving abilities. This team is absolutely awful on special teams (24th and 25th on the PP and PK) and a solid veteran D-man would be useful all around.

Although with the Flames rehash in grabbing Conroy yesterday, I'm not sure we need another blast from the past on this team....

Archived