Sabres @ Calgary (01/21)

Knightrider

Brad Riter said this on the postgame show, and it pretty much sums up how I feel:

It bothers me more that the NHL screwed up so badly than it does that the Sabres got boned. You want to respect this league, but then this kind of garbage happens.

I've seen it before, and now I see it could happen again. That's what REALLY sucks.

WAIT! This isn't THAT Doug Young -- the "my guy" dweeb from WGR a few years ago -- is it?! :)

I guess I would feel a little better if it's true that the "goal" was reviewed and the goal judge thought he saw the stick hit the puck before it crossed the line. Still gross incompetence, but at least everything about the system worked -- except getting the call right. It's not like it wasn't reviewed, or the monitors broke down, or the phone didn't work, etc.

Why not set up the monitors in a little booth off the ice and let the refs decide, a la the NFL? Reviews would be initiated by the ref or the coach, who would get so many challenges. In the spirit of hockey's rich heritage, coaches would not throw red flags, but red water bottles. :)

Maybe that one goal was a pile of crap, but you people are absolutely sickening. Any time the Sabres lose you start making excuses before the game is even over. The team went out West and generally played like ass, deal with it, it's what actually happened.

The worst thing about that stupid goal is that I'll have to listen to people cry about it for a goddamn month or two.

I've mentioned before that they played like crap BEFORE that goal was kicked in. However, this game was proof positive that a blatently bad call can either reverse, keep, or kill any type of momentum.

I still can't get over the apparent fact, reported by Dave, that the video goal judge is a minor official provided by the home team. Can anyone say "garage league"?

First off, if the replay official at the game is provided by the home team, this has to stop ASAP. Secondly, this concept that goals are reviewed in Toronto is bogus. On a busy night when there may be 11 or 12 games going on, how are they dealing with monitoring potential bad calls at different games? Hire competent video replay league based officials and cut out this micro-managing concept of reviewing replays at league HQ. What a dumb F***ing idea.

Sometimes I really wonder about the NHL and their direction under Bettman.

I went to nhl.com looking for a definitive explanation of the video replay system. Imagine this -- I found very little, just a sketchy section in the rule book. So many questions, but maybe the biggest one is, what standard is used to review goals? Like the NFL, does there have to be incontrovertible visual evidence to overturn the call on the ice, or does the video official make the call as if he is watching the play live and he is the ref? It seems to be the latter. Remember the goal in Pittsburgh, the spectacular glove save by Biron, where the ref said no goal, and despite no clear visual evidence to the contrary, the replay official awarded a goal.

three quick points on some of the above posts:

1. Riter's point is dead on, as is the post about all the obstruction that wasn't called last night. How am I supposed to love the "new NHL" when in some games, the refs are still partyin' like it's 1999?

2. While I'm no fan of ESPN.com's hockey coverage, ESPN didn't write the game summary. It's attributed to the AP (who may have got it from a CP stringer). ESPN didn't vet the article, obviously, and doesn't review most of its wire reports (which is one reason I don't like that website).

3. I'm nearly positive that the same replay official is used in HSBC Arena for every regular-season game; just can't think of the guy's name right now, but I remember that he's a former ref. I doubt that he's "provided by" the Sabres, though, in the sense that the Sabres pay him; he's gotta be paid by the league, right?

Just another thought on the game last night. We get to see if the league was serious when Shane Doan got in his fight, or if they were just giving a break to Phoenix. Roy is not a fighter, so following the Doan incident, he should not be suspended on Tuesday.

And to the poster who was complaining about us whining...is it getting to boring in Leafs country as you watch your team fade right out of the playoff picutre?

Just another thought on the game last night.  We get to see if the league was serious when Shane Doan got in his fight, or if they were just giving a break to Phoenix.  Roy is not a fighter, so following the Doan incident, he should not be suspended on Tuesday.

And to the poster who was complaining about us whining...is it getting to boring in Leafs country as you watch your team fade right out of the playoff picutre?

There was no instigator penalty assessed, so neither Roy nor Ference face a potential 1 game suspension.

I went to nhl.com looking for a definitive explanation of the video replay system. Imagine this -- I found very little, just a sketchy section in the rule book. So many questions, but maybe the biggest one is, what standard is used to review goals? Like the NFL, does there have to be incontrovertible visual evidence to overturn the call on the ice, or does the video official make the call as if he is watching the play live and he is the ref? It seems to be the latter. Remember the goal in Pittsburgh, the spectacular glove save by Biron, where the ref said no goal, and despite no clear visual evidence to the contrary, the replay official awarded a goal.

Rick and Jim have said that it has to be conclusive beyond a doubt several times.

three quick points on some of the above posts:

1. Riter's point is dead on, as is the post about all the obstruction that wasn't called last night. How am I supposed to love the "new NHL" when in some games, the refs are still partyin' like it's 1999?

2. While I'm no fan of ESPN.com's hockey coverage, ESPN didn't write the game summary. It's attributed to the AP (who may have got it from a CP stringer). ESPN didn't vet the article, obviously, and doesn't review most of its wire reports (which is one reason I don't like that website).

3. I'm nearly positive that the same replay official is used in HSBC Arena for every regular-season game; just can't think of the guy's name right now, but I remember that he's a former ref. I doubt that he's "provided by" the Sabres, though, in the sense that the Sabres pay him; he's gotta be paid by the league, right?

First off Brad Riter is never right.

As far as the other point about the replay official? Goal judges are the same every game.

Come on guys. It's a bad call. They happen. You can go to fans of every team and they can list you bad calls that compare to the ones the Sabres had to deal with. They just happen. If you want to eliminate them then play every game on an X-Box.

Before Buffalo fans start to think the world is against us. Take a look at one of this area's greatest sports moments. The Bills comback over Houston. Don Beebe took two steps out of bounds before he caught a huge TD. That call cost Houston the game and their franchise.

Ask Philly how they felt when Bob Nystrom was two strides offsides before he scores and the Islanders went on to win the Cup.

They happen. If they didn't then sports talk would be pretty boring.

;)

First off Brad Riter is never right.

As far as the other point about the replay official? Goal judges are the same every game.

Come on guys. It's a bad call. They happen. You can go to fans of every team and they can list you bad calls that compare to the ones the Sabres had to deal with. They just happen. If you want to eliminate them then play every game on an X-Box.

Before Buffalo fans start to think the world is against us. Take a look at one of this area's greatest sports moments. The Bills comback over Houston. Don Beebe took two steps out of bounds before he caught a huge TD. That call cost Houston the game and their franchise.

Ask Philly how they felt when Bob Nystrom was two strides offsides before he scores and the Islanders went on to win the Cup.

They happen. If they didn't then sports talk would be pretty boring.

;)

As for the "one bad call," assuming you mean the goal, I'm more concerned that the officiating crew didn't follow the correct process, than I am that a bad call against the Sabres. As you said, bad calls happen. But there is a procedure in place to review those calls, the procedure wasn't followed, and that undermines fans' confidence in the league.

Same goes for all the missed interference/obstruction calls last night. If the league wants to allow that type of play, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. But let's have the same set of rules every night. I know, different crews call games differently in every contact sport; some have more of a "let 'em play" attitude than others. Last night just seemed to be outside the standard deviation, though.