Roy vs. Charra

bottlecap

Roy was giving up over a foot in his battle with this overpaid Golliath. What a hero that Charra is for

knocking Roy on his azz. Kudos to Roy to try to sparkplug the Sabres on how to fight through these obstacles. I think Ruff should have rewarded Roy with a place in the shootout instead of Kotalik, who doesn't seem to have much fight in him at all..

I developed a new respect for Roy yesterday when I saw him willing to keep buzzing around Gheorghe Muresan, errr...Chara. He kept getting knocked on his ass but kept going back around the front of the net and banging bodies as best he could.

i lost some respect for chara yesterday. i've always "hated" him because he plays for the opposition, but you gotta respect a 6'9" giant who can take on anyone. however, with each post-whistle knockdown he dished out, it chipped away at his fearsomeness (is that a word?) and just made him look like more of a punk. i definitely hope peters gives it a go for real tomorrow night with him. there was a moment behind the play that he almost dropped the gloves with chara. i fully expect andrew to get pummelled, but it would be nice to see chara get knocked down a peg or two.

On a side note, PA, I have been encouraged over the last few games to see Lydman and Paetsch drop a couple guys with big hits around our own net. Now if we can get Spacek to use his size and do that once in a while, we'll be all set...

I can't even count the number of times Chara hit a Sabre forward well after that player had pulled up after the whistle. He also punched Roy in the back of the head at the blue line at one point. It got ridiculous in the third period that he continued to get away with this, but then again, with the way Fraiser swallowed his whistle, that's bound to happen.

If you want to talk about losing respect, there's one play that really stands out. Peters did go after him in the third but Chara was too much of a pansy to drop the gloves. You'll throw a 5'9 guy around all day, but the second someone with any size stand up to you, you back the hell down.

Yeah. A defenseman who lays a hit once in a while. Yuck!

I gotta say it.

PA, you are without a doubt the biggest drag in this place. I have never met you, but you seem like the biggest sourpuss out there. Even more than DeLuca :)

It's one thing to try to keep things real and even, but you go above and beyond to the point if sheer annoyance. Do you really like the Sabres? Cuz the more I read your drivel the more I think you are some guy with too much time on your hands from Philly.

It's ok to criticize the team for the small things here and there, but dude, every single one of your posts is negative and I don't know about others, but it's tired at this end. With fans like you, who needs enemies?

No problem. Chippy to me has always been a positive term, especially when it's the Sabres being desribed as such. I don't want a team that plays on the fringes, not getting involved in the corners or in front of the net. I want a team that initiates the fash wash after the whistle or the D-man who cross checks everyone who even looks at the net, before or after the whistle.

Having some chippiness is fine and good. But don't tell me PA isn't constantly negative about pretty much every aspect of this team.

I too get down on their play, but nobody will every accuse me of not being a fan of this team. I am not always negative and actually see some positives in the team.

PA, hide behind others if you wish and keep the name calling to a minimum. I'm far from an ass clown. I'm not coming after you. I'm just pointing out that you are very negative to the point of nauseam.

:wallbash:

I want a team that initiates the fash wash after the whistle or the D-man who cross checks everyone who even looks at the net, before or after the whistle.

in that case, i hope the team you want has a really really good penalty kill.

No problem. Chippy to me has always been a positive term, especially when it's the Sabres being desribed as such. I don't want a team that plays on the fringes, not getting involved in the corners or in front of the net. I want a team that initiates the fash wash after the whistle or the D-man who cross checks everyone who even looks at the net, before or after the whistle.

That stuff's all good, but at least grow a set and don't run away when someone taller than 5'9 comes after you.

I'm far from an ass clown.

Good, being near them is dangerous. :D

Having some chippiness is fine and good. But don't tell me PA isn't constantly negative about pretty much every aspect of this team.

I guess it's just the curmudgeon in me finding a companion.

in that case, i hope the team you want has a really really good penalty kill.

Chara gets away with it. A host a Hurricanes got away with during last year's playoffs. Nearly every well known rugged D-man gets away with it. It's because the refs are from the old school and let it fly. Why not have our own nemesis to piss off opponents going into the playoffs?

Inkman and PASabreFan: Grumpy Old Men.

Rick, of course I see the positives. But I've spent the first half of the season really looking at this team under a microscope, having bought into the talk that they are Cup favorites. And, to me, for the most part, they don't measure up. Yet. I honest to God believe they will at some point. I predicted around Game 60. So there, I said something positive.

I think I'm more realistic than negative.

Chara gets away with it. A host a Hurricanes got away with during last year's playoffs. Nearly every well known rugged D-man gets away with it. It's because the refs are from the old school and let it fly. Why not have our own nemesis to piss off opponents going into the playoffs?

See that is the point... It still isn't within the rules...

It is always something with BFLO... They start playing this game, they surely get called on it. They play by the rules and guess what? Hull's No Goal is a goal is one such example...

Shist like this really makes my blood boil and fuel the down with "BFLO conspiracies"...

Just look how quick they are to label the Sabres as "divers" and black-ball them... Why no "slack" in that regard? Yet, on the other end spectrum... Guys like Chara get free passes to hit after the whistle...

This league really sucks... Just call the rules as they are writen and I have no problem... Sometimes I really wonder if it isn't all fixed...

The only thing I hold out for is that BFLO appears to be the favorite this year... They were "good soldiers" in taking the farce last year... And now hope for the refs to tighten it up come playoffs...

There is nothing wrong with what some are saying in regards to us needing some more grit.

Would it be nice if it were by the rules, sure, but what can you do?

Chara got away with far too much yesterday. My hope for Wed is we build a solid lead and then take him to task for highsticking a guy 1ft smaller than him. Roy showed balls, Chara showed none.

I agree with inkman, all the well-know, "rugged" defensemen do get away with that kind of stuff. The big difference with Chara is that he is less subtle about it - he seems to do it right out in the open, while others are just as vicious, but more discreet...

I agree with inkman, all the well-know, "rugged" defensemen do get away with that kind of stuff. The big difference with Chara is that he is less subtle about it - he seems to do it right out in the open, while others are just as vicious, but more discreet...

And they shouldn't get "away" with it... Just a plain travesty that they do and the NHL allows the "rugged" D-men to get away with the double standard... Even worse... Some fans accept it and suggest that "our" team do the same.

The NHL ONCE AGAIN IS NOT following the rules that they themselves set forth... Call the game withing the rules...

But... The high-motor, small guy with SKILL is villified when they ALSO "play out side the rules" and get "easily" knocked off their skates... :doh: :doh:

One of the main reasons why, IMO, the NHL will always be a "fringe" sport with its blatant hypocrisy more than other sports.

Guys like Kerry Fraser are killing this league and the direction that the league office seems to want to take?

What is it gonna be a "skilled league" or a "intimidation league?"

Here's praying the league takes a stand against the "old guard" refs BEFORE the playoffs begin...

You see what it is doing to a "skilled" team like the Sabres play wise and injury wise...

Archived