Is Tallinder the MVP?

deluca67

I don't know, I think we need to trade for another D-man... actually maybe 2 or 3. We can't have a repeat of last year's playoffs! ;)

I don't think there are another 6 D-men in the league who stack up to what we have in Buffalo. Tallinder plays a smart game and his quickness enables him to make those tough plays.

Since his return the Sabres are 15 for 15 on the PK. They have climbed to 12th in the league.

I heard this mentioned on WGR. Sabres have yet to lose in regulation when Miller and Tallinder are both in the lineup.

He may be the MVP of this team.

Boy, he sure is a good player. I'd really hate to call just one player our MVP. Miller is great, Brier is great, Drury, Vanek and Max are all great. Real hard call, but he is in the running there.

I don't know, I think we need to trade for another D-man... actually maybe 2 or 3. We can't have a repeat of last year's playoffs! ;)

I don't think there are another 6 D-men in the league who stack up to what we have in Buffalo. Tallinder plays a smart game and his quickness enables him to make those tough plays.

Yes, I would never want a repeat of last year's playoff either, but who would you want the Sabres to trade? Kotalik has been playing good lately, so I'd hate to see him go. I also would not want the Sabres to send one of their future players away. I will admit I got worried when Spacek went down last night. Thankully it is just a bruise.

Not to nitpick, but the Sabres have killed off 13 straight, not 15, since Hank returned. Keeping the penalties to four or five a game, and not seven or eight, is helping too.

How important is he? Sabres won two of three against Carolina in the ECF with Tallinder, then lost three of the last four without him. Coincidence?

One veteran d-man would be enough, depending on the situation heading into the playoffs, Pataesch played pretty good for us and can pitch in for sure...........That and Get one other minor leaguer ready for the playoff run.........Sit Teppo a couple of games near the end of the season, maybe every defenceman at some point down the regular season stretch run........ :beer:

Since his return the Sabres are 15 for 15 on the PK. They have climbed to 12th in the league.

I heard this mentioned on WGR. Sabres have yet to lose in regulation when Miller and Tallinder are both in the lineup.

He may be the MVP of this team.

He is far and away the best dman on the team(no offense to Brian Campbell). I still believe if Tallinder did not get hurt in the playoffs, the Sabres would have won the Cup and a strong case would have been made for Tallinder being the Cup MVP.

To answer your question...A toss up between Miller, Briere :) , Drury, Max & Tallinder!

If you don't think another team can compare to our 6 D-men, then why would you feel like we need to make a trade? I think that any team that loses 4 d-men in a playoff series is going to lose the series...period. Injuries are part of the game and we're lucky to have a seventh man that has already played in a confernce finals. Not many teams can make a statement like that.

With that said, I don't think trading for a d-man is going to do us any good. We have 6 solid starters and the chemistry will be blown if we end up sitting one of them each night. These guys are good, but even the best teams will lose sometimes due to injury. We can't stack up Rochester with a $30 Million payroll just to prevent that.

As for Hank, he's our best D-man and a top 10 NHL D man IMO. I think he should be in the running for Sabres MVP.

Tallinder more valuable than Briere? Starting drinking alittle early for new years? Why are typical Buffalo fans so short sighted?

How is saying that short-sighted? I mean, I'm not sure I totally agree that Tallinder is the MVP, but it's not out of the question ... top defensemen are much harder to find and develop than forwards. If anything it is short-sighted to just assume that the guy scoring the most points is most valuable.

How is saying that short-sighted? I mean, I'm not sure I totally agree that Tallinder is the MVP, but it's not out of the question ... top defensemen are much harder to find and develop than forwards. If anything it is short-sighted to just assume that the guy scoring the most points is most valuable.

Brier is the heart of the team. He is far more important to this team than the defenseman Talinder who doesn't even play on the power play. Obvioulsy Millers' goaltending has made the defense look better than it is lately. If Miller had a a few bad games no one would even be suggesting that a defenseman is MVP, because most hockey fans do not connect the dots. Its all perception and no actual facts that make people say Talinder is the best player on this team.

No one said Tallinder was the BEST player ... they said most valuable. There's a difference. You want facts, the fact is they are 13-0-1 with Tallinder in there. Doesn't mean he is BETTER than Briere, just that maybe he is harder to replace, and therefore maybe more valuable.

Personally, I think Miller is the MVP, because he allows the defense to take chances and play the agressive system that has produced so many goals. There's no bigger Biron fan than I am, but Miller has taken it to another level and there WOULD be a big dropoff if Marty had to play every night.

Anyway, as good as Briere is, you can make a case for a lot of forwards on this team being just as "valuable." Drury plays the PP and PK, plays against the opponents' top lines, wins big draws AND contributes offensively. Is that well-rounded kind of game more valuable? A case can certainly be made. Again, doesn't mean he is BETTER than Briere, but it's close.

No one said Tallinder was the BEST player ... they said most valuable. There's a difference. You want facts, the fact is they are 13-0-1 with Tallinder in there. Doesn't mean he is BETTER than Briere, just that maybe he is harder to replace, and therefore maybe more valuable.

Personally, I think Miller is the MVP, because he allows the defense to take chances and play the agressive system that has produced so many goals. There's no bigger Biron fan than I am, but Miller has taken it to another level and there WOULD be a big dropoff if Marty had to play every night.

Anyway, as good as Briere is, you can make a case for a lot of forwards on this team being just as "valuable." Drury plays the PP and PK, plays against the opponents' top lines, wins big draws AND contributes offensively. Is that well-rounded kind of game more valuable? A case can certainly be made. Again, doesn't mean he is BETTER than Briere, but it's close.

Listen bro, you seem really confused. All I'm saying is that the the Goaltending is making the defense look better than it is but Briere stands on his own.

Listen bro, you seem really confused. All I'm saying is that the the Goaltending is making the defense look better than it is but Briere stands on his own.

Yeah you're right ... Briere isn't helped at all by good breakout passes by the defense or bailed out by Miller's big saves when he turns it over in the neutral zone. He does it all himself. Whatever.

Yeah you're right ... Briere isn't helped at all by good breakout passes by the defense or bailed out by Miller's big saves when he turns it over in the neutral zone. He does it all himself. Whatever.

Briere makes his plays, Tallinder is made to look better when Miller stops 13 shots in one period and people say the defense played great

Briere makes his plays, Tallinder is made to look better when Miller stops 13 shots in one period and people say the defense played great

Of those 13 shots, MAYBE 3 or 4 were decent chances, and how many of those where when Tallinder was out there? I do know they killed 2 penalties in the first 5 minutes with Tallinder out there and did not allow a shot, so Miller had it pretty easy.

Again, I agree Miller is the key, and Briere is great. But you can't dismiss the defense because Miller is good any more than I can look at the first goal and say "Yeah, Briere scored, but it was a pretty play by Max and Vanek so Briere really didn't do much." It was a great play all around, Briere included, but he didn't do it alone any more than Miller killed those penalties alone.

My problem with your stance is not your opinion that Briere is the best player or the MVP ... it's the condescending tone and dismissal of Tallinder as if he is just another d-man on this team when the results show he is a big difference maker.

Archived