My review of the Gaylord Entertainment Center

JoeFerguson

Pros:

--Nice new arena, in addition to Beer, hard liquor and wine are served (even in the 300's)

--The fans were very polite and non-combative

--They had cheerleaders

--There were lots of Buffalo faithful in the crowd to shout to when we scored (If anyone saw a guy with a Steve Tasker jersey on, that was me)

Cons:

--The volume of the public address announcer was terribly low. I could barely hear the announcement of the goals and penalties.

--No out of town scores were displayed anywhere in the arena.

--The Nashville faithful had a lot of strange chants that excessively used the word "Suck" or "Sucks". For instance, when Buffalo's starting lineup was announced like this, "Toni Lydman" the fans shouted "SUCKS!" in unison after each player's name. I suppose this type of chanting isn't unique to the GEC, and I have definitely heard my fair share of profanity at HSBC, but I thought this was a bit excessive because it was organized, arena-wide profanity (if you consider "sucks" a profane word).

--Not many fans seemed to have a very good knowledge of hockey. In my section everyone cheered when Spacek was sucker punched, and a lot of people continued after he was lying on the ice.

--The Nashville faithful had a lot of strange chants that excessively used the word "Suck" or "Sucks". For instance, when Buffalo's starting lineup was announced like this, "Toni Lydman" the fans shouted "SUCKS!" in unison after each player's name. I suppose this type of chanting isn't unique to the GEC, and I have definitely heard my fair share of profanity at HSBC, but I thought this was a bit excessive because it was organized, arena-wide profanity (if you consider "sucks" a profane word).

There's a lot of that in college hockey. As far as I'm concerned, sucks is the most overused word in all of sports. I wish people would be a bit more creative.

What, no comment on the ridiculous "Your Nashville Predators are on... the... POWERPLAY!"

Great to see and talk to so many Sabre fans last night at the GEC!!!

My son and I sat in 118 and there plenty of Sabre fans around....great game by the Swordsmen.

FYI, the out of town scores were posted on a board at the top ring around the arena.

Predator fans have become very hockey savvy, but I also hate that "sucks" thing that they do.

If you listen closely, they also say "and they still suck" after the announcer says "The Buffalo Sabres are on the power play".

Also, watching the Nichol replay on ESPN, looks to me that Nichol had plenty of time to stop/turn/duck before hitting the post/crossbar......league won't do anything as Spacek wasn't seriously injured.

Anyway, let's finish the TN Sweep by beating the Titans on Sunday!

Go Bills, Go Sabres!!!

What, no comment on the ridiculous "Your Nashville Predators are on... the... POWERPLAY!"

That was TERRIBLE. So was their "ahhh sit down ya loser!" whenever a Sabre went into the penalty box. Very very unoriginal and immature chants. It was almost as if they got a third grade class together to come up with them.

I would be pissed if I was there with young kids. I don't care how much "sucks" is used nowadays(expecially on the radio), a chant like this at an arena is completely inappropriate. :angry:

That was TERRIBLE. So was their "ahhh sit down ya loser!" whenever a Sabre went into the penalty box. Very very unoriginal and immature chants. It was almost as if they got a third grade class together to come up with them.

It sounds just like a college game. Obviously there's a bit of an age factor with crowds at college games. Is Nashville drawing younger crowds?

I always find the chants that the PA announcer starts and the fans finish interesting. Like "Panthers (PA guy) goal (fans)" in Florida. These fans are like dogs -- they do anything they're told to do. I prefer the cool cats we have in Buffalo. I can't imagine Sabres fans following prompts. (The organ cues are different.)

As for the savvy of the Nashville fans, you know darn well every building in the league would have applauded that hit. Just the nature of the beast.

I say "darn" because I don't want to offend anyone who thinks "suck" is a swear word. :)

I was in section 117, row G. Personally, I like the chants. It's nice to see the crowd get involved. Too many times (prior to the lockout when the Sabres sucked) I'd go to the marina and it would be dead in there. I'll be there again the 1st week in Jan. Looking forward to it seeing how loud it is now that we have a good team.

I always find the chants that the PA announcer starts and the fans finish interesting. Like "Panthers (PA guy) goal (fans)" in Florida. These fans are like dogs -- they do anything they're told to do. I prefer the cool cats we have in Buffalo. I can't imagine Sabres fans following prompts. (The organ cues are different.)

As for the savvy of the Nashville fans, you know darn well every building in the league would have applauded that hit. Just the nature of the beast.

I say "darn" because I don't want to offend anyone who thinks "suck" is a swear word. :)

You are not in the arena chanting it in front of my daughter, so you are good to go!! :lol: :lol:

Well, no genius is needed to count goals (1, 2, 3, 4, we want 5), either. Let the babies have their bottles.

On the other hand, from watching on MSG, it seemed like there were a LOT of Sabres fans there. Very cool.

Get over it sally.

--Not many fans seemed to have a very good knowledge of hockey. In my section everyone cheered when Spacek was sucker punched, and a lot of people continued after he was lying on the ice.

umm so what????!!!!?? who didn't cheer when Campbell umbergered RJ?? It happenes, people were cought up in the moment.

umm so what????!!!!?? who didn't cheer when Campbell umbergered RJ?? It happenes, people were cought up in the moment.

Umm, there's a little bit of a difference between a clean hit (the campbell hit) and a sucker punch to someone's face that leads to a 9 game suspension.

Get over it sally.

Are you kidding me? I was just posting my account of what it's like at a Predators game. Not complaining about anything. And like Derek said, the punch by Nichols was a cheap shot, the Campbell hit on Umberger was clean.

Cheering a clean hit is way different than cheering a blatant cheapshot and subsequent injury. One lady was so caught up in the moment she actually stood up and said something along the lines of "If you are going to be on the ice you can't be a sissy."

If you can't tell the difference between Soupy's hit and Nichol's punch then I'm afraid you are one of the unknowledgeable fans that Joe speaks of. Perhaps you should "cotch" up on the reading of your hockey rulebook.

Pros:

--Nice new arena, in addition to Beer, hard liquor and wine are served (even in the 300's)

--The fans were very polite and non-combative

--They had cheerleaders

--There were lots of Buffalo faithful in the crowd to shout to when we scored (If anyone saw a guy with a Steve Tasker jersey on, that was me)

Cons:

--The volume of the public address announcer was terribly low. I could barely hear the announcement of the goals and penalties.

--No out of town scores were displayed anywhere in the arena.

We had a similar experience. The fans around us in section 107 were very nice. Much better than the Carolina fans.

lol, suck a profanity? :blink:

Maybe not terribly profane, but not exactly the environment you'd want your 10 year old to be around. Regardless, the chant would've been terrible if you replaced suck with "stinks" or even "isn't a good hockey player". Any way you slice it, the chant "sucked".

Archived