Sabres only ordered 18,900 jerseys for retail

inkman

Am I the only one who thinks this is #%^$#!ing stupid? They say they have 40, 000 orders, not sure whether or not that includes the 18, 900. Either way, did they only expect 1/100th of their fan base to buy Jersey's?

From what I was hearing the company making the jerseys is having trouble keeping up with the demand---basically as soon as they come in, they are gone the same day

We talked about that in another thread - someone has to be dropping the ball here. Reebok is official supplier, correct? They are owned by adidas, and they in turn own CCM. There should be no shortage of manufacturing facilities available when you are talking about a company that is a large part of one of the largest athletic apparel companies in the world.

Where did you hear that?

WGR - Schopp

From what I was hearing the company making the jerseys is having trouble keeping up with the demand---basically as soon as they come in, they are gone the same day

The only thing I heard was that it was the Sabres who ordered the 18,900 and for whatever reason more aren't ready for retail.

We talked about that in another thread - someone has to be dropping the ball here. Reebok is official supplier, correct? They are owned by adidas, and they in turn own CCM. There should be no shortage of manufacturing facilities available when you are talking about a company that is a large part of one of the largest athletic apparel companies in the world.

I place the blame squarely on the Sabres. Although all the off season bashing of the logo probably was an influence on the number of jersey's made.

WGR - Schopp

The only thing I heard was that it was the Sabres who ordered the 18,900 and for whatever reason more aren't ready for retail.

I place the blame squarely on the Sabres. Although all the off season bashing of the logo probably was an influence on the number of jersey's made.

Didn't Larry Quinn explain all this before the jersey was released? It has to do with the NHL changing the style of it's jerseys.

This is and a complete joke. They aren't making these jerseys out of someones garage. This is a huge apparel company that should have been able to react to the demand and ramp up production in a couple of weeks. It was clear by the end of October that the new Sabres merchandise was selling like hotcakes, therefore, the amount of product they were shipping should have been increased by mid-to-late November. Instead, it seems like it is getting worse.

:oops:

This is and a complete joke. They aren't making these jerseys out of someones garage. This is a huge apparel company that should have been able to react to the demand and ramp up production in a couple of weeks. It was clear by the end of October that the new Sabres merchandise was selling like hotcakes, therefore, the amount of product they were shipping should have been increased by mid-to-late November. Instead, it seems like it is getting worse.

:oops:

Just a minor point here. Reebok doesn't actually manufacture the jerseys. They hire smaller companies that actually make the jerseys and then throw a CCM or Reebok tag on them. That's pretty much how it is for every league. I've got a friend who works for the company that makes jerseys for the Bruins, other NHL teams (not sure if they have the Sabres or not), several college hockey teams, the Patriots and other football teams. When they're making that many jerseys, it's makes sense that they're only going to be able to do so many Sabres jerseys. It's a hockey team from Buffalo, I can see how they wouldn't think there'd be all that much demand in the big picture.

Just a minor point here. Reebok doesn't actually manufacture the jerseys. They hire smaller companies that actually make the jerseys and then throw a CCM or Reebok tag on them. That's pretty much how it is for every league. I've got a friend who works for the company that makes jerseys for the Bruins, other NHL teams (not sure if they have the Sabres or not), several college hockey teams, the Patriots and other football teams. When they're making that many jerseys, it's makes sense that they're only going to be able to do so many Sabres jerseys. It's a hockey team from Buffalo, I can see how they wouldn't think there'd be all that much demand in the big picture.

I still believe if the Sabres organization(the savior included) wanted to make a big deal out of this, they could have made some noise in order to get an increase in product prior to the biggest gift giving day of the year. It has to be possible to temporarily reduce the amount of St. Louis Blues jerseys(or some other crap team whose merchandise sales are at the bottom) in order to fill the demand for Sabres apparel?

I still believe if the Sabres organization(the savior included) wanted to make a big deal out of this, they could have made some noise in order to get an increase in product prior to the biggest gift giving day of the year. It has to be possible to temporarily reduce the amount of St. Louis Blues jerseys(or some other crap team whose merchandise sales are at the bottom) in order to fill the demand for Sabres apparel?

I get the feeling that even if they did that, they would still have problems. They'd have to cut back on production of NFL jerseys to get anything done and they don't dare do that, especially for the NHL.

If I were Tommy G., I would be super pissed off right now. How long are these dollars going to be available? Clearly Xmas was missed, delaying tens of thousands of dollars that the organization may never recoup. The longer this goes, the more likely people will spend their money elsewhere.

If I were Tommy G., I would be super pissed off right now. How long are these dollars going to be available? Clearly Xmas was missed, delaying tens of thousands of dollars that the organization may never recoup. The longer this goes, the more likely people will spend their money elsewhere.

I doubt the demand would dry up or that revenue is lost. If a kid wants a jersey today, he's still going to want one in two months. The only issue is if the Sabres just start to totally suck, which could dampen unmet demand, but that has a slim chance of happening. In fact, as the playoffs approach, and the alternate jersey is made more available, demand will more likely grow than diminish.

That's why Reebok probably hasn't "ramped" up production. Why pay for extra shifts if the demand is only going to grow as the season progresses? There's no competition out there, so it's not like consumers are going to spend their jersey money on a different model of jersey (like when a kid who wants a PS3 "settles" for a XBox360).

What we're witnessing is a "just-in-time" supply-chain inventory model being crushed by demand, with no real effect on the bottom line of the manufacturer.

Archived