The New Blue and Gold . vote

humanot

The New Blue and Gold

Hey everyone ... so, the situation that my designs has stirred up has been amazing to see. I've been contacted by so many fans telling me how much they love the designs, and wish they would be out there wearing my stuff rather than the slug.

So I am in the process of putting these jerseys, as well as other merchandise (tshirts, hats, coffee mugs, possibly keychains) on sale for everyone soon. The tagline we'll be featuring will be TRUE FANS GET IT coming soon.

So to see which jerseys you want created first, I have setup a poll for everyone to vote on. So please stop by and drop your vote in, and also send this out to every Sabres fan you know. As a thanks in advance to all of you who do this, I put up some wallpapers if you'd like to throw some New Blue and Gold on your computer.

I think with the team doing as amazing as they are this year, its a shame they look so ridiculous out there. I want the Legends of the Sabres to haunt the Arena, not the Stench of the Slug. If you feel the same, we can let the Sabres Organization hear our voice by filling the stands with a true representation of our team ... a symbol we can all rally behind and cry out support with.

Classic whites get my vote. I kinda liked the fatter swords on the 2003 version, but this logo is still better than the slug. I have to say, I've kinda forgotten about how much I hated the slug when I first saw it. I've been watching the team and just taking the slug as given... but you've just now reminded me what a GREAT new Sabres jersey should be.

Good luck, thanks for the wallpaper, can't wait to see how much your jerseys are going to run. I hope they aren't pro weight, because that will be out of my budget.

I also hope you don't get sued over this!

Don't get me wrong, you have some great designs, but I think your tagline is a little pretentious. What does the like or dislike of a logo have to do with someone being a true fan?

It could be that "true fans" refers to those that existed before the strike.

The team's surge in popularity in the past six months is tough for old-time, hard-core fans to digest. They have supported the team through the lean times. They don't consider fair-weather fans to be "true fans". True fans are loyal. They can't imagine deserting their team.

Just my $3.71 ($0.02 + inflation, taxes, surcharges, administrative fees)

It could be that "true fans" refers to those that existed before the strike.

The team's surge in popularity in the past six months is tough for old-time, hard-core fans to digest. They have supported the team through the lean times. They don't consider fair-weather fans to be "true fans". True fans are loyal. They can't imagine deserting their team.

Just my $3.71 ($0.02 + inflation, taxes, surcharges, administrative fees)

Hey, I supported the team throughout the dark ages. Watched probably about 95% of the games when I lived in Buffalo, bought CI as soon as I moved out of town in 2003, went to Amerks games whenever I was in town during the lockout. With that said, I like the new uniforms. Really like the home sweater design and the slug grew on me. I just fail to see why someone's like or dislike of a uniform has any effect on how big of a fan they are.

I see what you're saying, hoplesly, and liking/disliking the slug or sweaters shouldn't have any effect on how big a fan you are. If you like it, great, buy it - but don't attack us for hating it. Likewise, if you don't like it, tell people why - but don't attack those who buy it. Eventually there will be both slug- and original logo-adorned products available, so both sides can buy and enjoy...

As for the tagline, I didn't take it as pretentious or as "Slug lovers are not true fans." I could be way off, but the way I took it was that the current logo didn't seem to be marketed to die-hard/traditional NHL and Sabre fans, but rather to the "occasional" fan in some attempt by Rbk and NHL to pierce some previously unconquered crossover market segment. I think by "true fans" he means actual regular hockey and Sabres fans - the sport's core fans - and not some new pseudofan consumer who is buying the jersey because of the sleek new design or the flashy new whatszit logo that tested well in some focus groups.

I'm not saying that traditional and longtime hockey/Sabres fans can't be interested in buying the new threads just b/c of the redesign, but that in this case, the design/look of the uniforms and the logo indicate that the NHL and Rbk were more concerned with establishing a foothold in non-traditional consumer markets and segments rather than appealing to their core fan base. Truth be told, I went shopping for slug sweaters and other new Sabres threads when I was home at Thanksgiving, but I couldn't get past the slug. I really tried to look at it with an open mind, but I just can't get into it. I am going to wait until the 3rd jersey gets the darker blue treatment in a year or so...

I see what you're saying, hoplesly, and liking/disliking the slug or sweaters shouldn't have any effect on how big a fan you are. If you like it, great, buy it - but don't attack us for hating it. Likewise, if you don't like it, tell people why - but don't attack those who buy it. Eventually there will be both slug- and original logo-adorned products available, so both sides can buy and enjoy...

As for the tagline, I didn't take it as pretentious or as "Slug lovers are not true fans." I could be way off, but the way I took it was that the current logo didn't seem to be marketed to die-hard/traditional NHL and Sabre fans, but rather to the "occasional" fan in some attempt by Rbk and NHL to pierce some previously unconquered crossover market segment. I think by "true fans" he means actual regular hockey and Sabres fans - the sport's core fans - and not some new pseudofan consumer who is buying the jersey because of the sleek new design or the flashy new whatszit logo that tested well in some focus groups.

I'm not saying that traditional and longtime hockey/Sabres fans can't be interested in buying the new threads just b/c of the redesign, but that in this case, the design/look of the uniforms and the logo indicate that the NHL and Rbk were more concerned with establishing a foothold in non-traditional consumer markets and segments rather than appealing to their core fan base. Truth be told, I went shopping for slug sweaters and other new Sabres threads when I was home at Thanksgiving, but I couldn't get past the slug. I really tried to look at it with an open mind, but I just can't get into it. I am going to wait until the 3rd jersey gets the darker blue treatment in a year or so...

I never attacked anyone for hating. Sometimes I felt like we were having the same discussion over and over again, but everyone is entitled to their opinion on it.

My point is, there are diehard lifelong fans that like the slug, and I'm sure there are casual fans who hate the slug. Someone's opinion on a graphic design is probably not very closely correlated with their faithfulness to the team.

Put me down for a jersey and some merchandise. I too have gone ahead and picked up the Vintage blue jersey, but look forward to sporting some gear with another logo I can be proud of.

My guess is that John has researched any legal issues that may arise and feels comfortable moving forward. After all, these are his designs not the Sabres or NHL's. My next question would be how about customizing? Can we get a Briere or Campbell jersey or does that cross the copyright line?

It'll be interesting to see how the supply and demand works out for these. I would assume that not having to pay the Sabres or the NHL royalties, that some of that savings would be passed on to us "True Fans Who Get It." Hopefully, there will be enough product out there for those who want it and there won't be a bunch of jokers profiteering by re-selling them on eBay.

I never attacked anyone for hating. Sometimes I felt like we were having the same discussion over and over again, but everyone is entitled to their opinion on it.

My point is, there are diehard lifelong fans that like the slug, and I'm sure there are casual fans who hate the slug. Someone's opinion on a graphic design is probably not very closely correlated with their faithfulness to the team.

No, not accusing you of attacking anyone, because I agree with you - the groups of pro- vs. anti-slug aren't as well defined as people thought when the logo was initially leaked - it isn't necessarily older fans vs. younger ones or bandwaggoners vs. diehards. The logo is still a very divisive issue for a lot of fans, but has been pushed to the back burner since the team has been winning a lot.

I, don't have a problem with debating the logo, but my problem is that there have been others who have said (in not so polite terms) to basically sit down and shut up if you don't like the logo, and insinuating that you're not a true or real fan unless you buy a bunch of jerseys, hats and other merchandise. Likewise, comments from the anti-slug crowd have been equally puzzling and nasty at times...My comment was more of a general plea for both sides to stop the nonsense when it comes to the logo - as others have mentioned, with the exception of some of the newbies, we pretty much know where everyone stands on the logo.

It'll be interesting to see how the supply and demand works out for these. I would assume that not having to pay the Sabres or the NHL royalties, that some of that savings would be passed on to us "Real Fans Who Get It." Hopefully, there will be enough product out there for those who want it and there won't be a bunch of jokers profiteering by selling them on eBay.

Probably not, they could end up being more expensive just because the quantities are lower then what RBK/CCM can make them for. Usually its only cheaper when they can be mass produced in larger quantities.

As for the "True Fans Get it" Tagline, I take it as a slap in the face being a die hard a Sabres fan who doesn't mind the logo. What you are saying is True Sabres fans don't like the new logo and want yours. True Fans support their team no matter what the logo looks like.

shrader, what the hell do you care that he is selling his design and WE want it? seriously, how is this hurting you that you want the team to "shut it down"?

we aren't saying we won't support the team or anything like that... I won't buy the slug stuff, I will only buy original logo merch... now this is a nice alternative...

what's it matter if I don't buy the slug either way????

what's it matter if I don't buy the slug either way????

Clearly my post was a shot at anyone who refuses to buy the new logo. :rolleyes:

shrader, what the hell do you care that he is selling his design and WE want it? seriously, how is this hurting you that you want the team to "shut it down"?

The whole thing needs to go away. That's why I care. I don't like the fact that someone is creating unlicensed, rip off Sabres jerseys just to make a buck. The team and the NHL have every right to protect and market their logo.

The whole thing needs to go away. That's why I care. I don't like the fact that someone is creating unlicensed, rip off Sabres jerseys just to make a buck. The team and the NHL have every right to protect and market their logo.

He's going to make a buck, but when Sluggalo first leaked, many on this board were begging him to make his logos available on jerseys.

I don't know where I am on the Sluggalo anymore, except to say that I'm apathetic. I think it's a nice jersey design and color, but the logo is mediocre and I've just gotten used to looking at it. What I do know, however, is that when they wear the classic logo I am extremely happy, the first game they wore them I actually teared up when a slew of memories came back to me.

I should feel that way every time I see the Sabres take the ice, I shouldn't feel apathetic about a mediocre logo. That's what I want out of the team's uniform. I want to be moved to remember being 10 years old and sitting in the Oranges with my dad... I don't like that my brain has learned to ignore the crest on my lifelong favorite team's sweaters.

Maybe Slabyk's jersey's can make other apathetic fans sit up and remember... oh yeah... it wouldn't be that hard to have something modern AND meaningful.

Some of these designs are great and I would have loved seeing the Sabres adopt them. Seeing how they did not, I don't see the sense in buying merchandise with this rejected logo on it? I'm not buying the slug, but I'd rather wait for more merchandise with the original logo then something that is not representative of the team in any way.

Just my 2 cents.

He's going to make a buck, but when Sluggalo first leaked, many on this board were begging him to make his logos available on jerseys.

I don't know where I am on the Sluggalo anymore, except to say that I'm apathetic. I think it's a nice jersey design and color, but the logo is mediocre and I've just gotten used to looking at it. What I do know, however, is that when they wear the classic logo I am extremely happy, the first game they wore them I actually teared up when a slew of memories came back to me.

I should feel that way every time I see the Sabres take the ice, I shouldn't feel apathetic about a mediocre logo. That's what I want out of the team's uniform. I want to be moved to remember being 10 years old and sitting in the Oranges with my dad... I don't like that my brain has learned to ignore the crest on my lifelong favorite team's sweaters.

Maybe Slabyk's jersey's can make other apathetic fans sit up and remember... oh yeah... it wouldn't be that hard to have something modern AND meaningful.

Thank you Orange Seats for so eloquently putting into words what this is all about to me, and anyone who supports this whole thing. And to be honest with everyone here, there will be very little to no profit made in all this ... mostly because this was not the intention for me. After paying for the cost of jersey production, shipping, most of anything left in any markup I have will be going to the Sabres Foundation as a way of attributing them with giving a reason for these to exist. So even though I can understand the 'in it for a quick buck' thing, its simply not the case.

I'm not gonna kill this thread with more arugeing about the logo... all i will say, i voted for #3 as my favorite and realized only 166 people voted. So, yeah... 166.... keep on working on getting the "true" fans to your web site.

Breire48, you're right ... this poll has only been online about 12 hours and 170 people have voted, (out of how many ... maybe 200?). But this is another goal in putting the vote up, to truly gauge how much demand there is for this. I know alot of you would just like to see this whole thing put to rest, and no more controversy, no more debate. I understand this, but also, each and every day I am getting emails from fans who ask me if I could please put these jerseys up for sale, this is simply for those who want it.

Some of these designs are great and I would have loved seeing the Sabres adopt them. Seeing how they did not, I don't see the sense in buying merchandise with this rejected logo on it? I'm not buying the slug, but I'd rather wait for more merchandise with the original logo then something that is not representative of the team in any way.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

If you don't like the slug, then buy the throwback jerseys the Sabres are selling.

And to be honest with everyone here, there will be very little to no profit made in all this ... mostly because this was not the intention for me. After paying for the cost of jersey production, shipping, most of anything left in any markup I have will be going to the Sabres Foundation as a way of attributing them with giving a reason for these to exist. So even though I can understand the 'in it for a quick buck' thing, its simply not the case.

How much does it cost to make the jerseys? and how much are you selling them for?

I looked into making a jersey for my fantasy team... with my logo and design... and for just one jersey with real sewn on numbers and logo it was over $150... I have no idea what kind of a deal he'll be getting, but I would expect them to be around that.

Archived