GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

For all things holy that was bad.

* If I'm Ruff, Campbell is on my schiatlist for his tentative play along the boards in the defensive zone. Soupy...it's hockey...you're gonna get hit. (See about 7:00 into the 2nd for the most glaring example). PS Nice spin move, good thing Kaberle fell for it.

* We need more garbage goals. Doesn't have to be pretty every time guys. Saw Ruff stuck Gaustad in front of the net near the end, so maybe he heard me cursing from GA.

* Is it me or are the refs not calling intereference like they were in the past. Not just an observation from this game, but from watching a bunch of games on center ice.

* I know some people sell their Laffs tickets to pay for seasons, and I don't fault you. But man it hurts watching rows of those lickbags bang on the glass towards the end. Looks like a short bus convention.

ohh gosh, here come all the panic posts. :rolleyes:

Campbell isn't affraid to hit or get hit.

We lead the NHL with GOALS...

Its just you.

People that sell tickets to Leafs fans and or just to make money are SCUM.

Nothing panicky about it. They're just observations from the past few games. And the past 10 or so I've watched on Center ice. I never expected the Sabres to run the table, but the last couple games have me concerned. We're not all made of concrete like you.

I had a long list of gripes and grievances for this game, but I decided against posting them. I want to see how this team responds tomorrow night, since this is the first loss (and full-on ass-kicking) they have endured in a while.

That being said, just because we are 11-1-1 doesn't mean we've been playing good hockey the whole way, and we haven't played well since the Isles game. We came out flat, Toroanto kicked our ass, let's move on to the next game.

OTOH, one thing i will complain about is the number of leafs fans in our building. I understand the idea of selling your tickets to a few games to help pay for the other 35+ games you will actually attend - but there were WAAAAAAAY too many Leafs fans in the crowd tonight. Too many ugly, obnoxious, classless Canuckleheads in the crowd = hearing Ryan Miller get taunted and hear the "Goodbye" song against us in our own building. No matter how you spin it or whatever comeback you've got, we shouldn't EVER hear that in HSBC. And kudos to the 14-15,000+ Sabres fans in attendance - you let a much smaller leafs contingency make more noise than you. :doh: I know the Sabres didn't give us much to cheer about tonight, but make some noise, throw a beer on a Leafs fan, push him down a flight of stairs, something (EDIT: obviously I am just kidding - don't really act like Philly fans. ;) )

I wonder what the bigger long term worry is after this one -- Max's injury or the fact that Toronto knocked the Sabres around in their own building, and Buffalo's only answer was to send out Peters to shadow box for two minutes? The tape of this game is going to make its way around the conference. What is with our fourth line of late? They are getting nothing out of it. Tonight was tailor made for Adam Mair.

It's crazy to get panicky after the first regulation loss of the year, but as others have pointed out, there are some trends to worry about, not the least of which is injuries to key players. But turnovers as well. I really think Lindy is going to eventually have to pull this team back from pond hockey and get back to the basics.

OTOH, one thing i will complain about is the number of leafs fans in our building. I understand the idea of selling your tickets to a few games to help pay for the other 35+ games you will actually attend - but there were WAAAAAAAY too many Leafs fans in the crowd tonight. Too many ugly, obnoxious, classless Canuckleheads in the crowd = hearing Ryan Miller get taunted and hear the "Goodbye" song against us in our own building. No matter how you spin it or whatever comeback you've got, we shouldn't EVER hear that in HSBC. And kudos to the 14-15,000+ Sabres fans in attendance - you let a much smaller leafs contingency make more noise than you. :doh: I know the Sabres didn't give us much to cheer about tonight, but make some noise, throw a beer on a Leafs fan, push him down a flight of stairs, something (EDIT: obviously I am just kidding - don't really act like Philly fans. ;) )

Thats what made the game the worst for me, watching all those Leafs fans and hearing chants for them louder then Sabres fans. We go after "caniacs" for having Sabres fans buy out their building, yet we let Leafs fans take over ours. Really hypocritical and rather embarrassing for Sabres fans. I hate the fans that would rather "turn a profit" on their tickets, You helped turn HSBC arena into ACC South.

It's crazy to get panicky after the first regulation loss of the year, but as others have pointed out, there are some trends to worry about, not the least of which is injuries to key players. But turnovers as well. I really think Lindy is going to eventually have to pull this team back from pond hockey and get back to the basics.

Thats the problem, although the record showed Buffalo as the best team, they really weren't. Too many games were going to OT and Shootouts. The team didn't seem to play during the first couple periods of games and only turned it on in the end. There were very few games were they looked like a dominant team that deserved to be the best in the league. Its not like last year where th Sens at the start of the year were no doubt the best team in the league. Although maybe this is good and Buffalo won't end up like the Sens of last year

Sometimes a good ass-kicking can do what even a coach of the year cannot - make the point that you aren't as good as your fans or the media are making you out to be and that you need to bring it every shift, every night.

I came a little late in the game when I turned on the TV but I thought for a minute that we were playing in Toronto. I was actually kinda PO'd to watch a "home" game being turned into Air Canada South. WTF? If people are selling their tickets to finance the rest of their season tickets, I can understand as I've recently hit some financial rocky times. But it was still sickening to watch. As others have said, Miller shouldn't be taunted at home.

As for the game, it was a sad effort but hopefully a rare incident that will get their collective back focusing on a more disciplined game. They have been sliding the last few games. We'll see how they respond tomorrow. I think Daniel Paille is going to be up next in place of Max.

Game thoughts...

- I thought Roy and Hecht were our two best forwards.

- The poor play in our own end needs to be nipped in the bud by Lindy. This has been happening way to often, but is being masked by the fact that the team is winning so much. This was my biggest concern prior to the season. A perfect example...off a face-off, Vanek skated right by the Toronto player he was lined up against and headed towards the blue line. A second or two after this, the Toronto player had a great chance all alone in front of the net.

-It's bad enough to be beat by the Leafs...it is worse when Tucker and Sundin score goals! :thumbdown:

- I believe the goal scoring mentality has gone to the heads of some players to the point where they believe that there doesn't need to be a focus on defense.

-Against a team that is one of the worst in terms of giving up goals, the Sabres generated few chances over the first two periods and the ones they did generate, WERE SHOT WIDE!! :wallbash:

-The Sabres record indicates a team that is dominating their opponents. In reality, their overall play has been above average, but not great.

- Everybody is quick to whip on Briere when he is quiet, but it seems to be a double standard for Drury who is the co-captain of the team.

- STUPID penalties by Mair and Peters. Their role is to bang and they are just not doing enough of it to justify being in the lineup. Peters needs to STFU after he takes an obvious penalty. It is time to bring up Paille, Ryan or MacAurther and remind Mair and Peters what it is like to watch a game from the Press Box.

- We almost gave up our 2nd 5 on 3 short handed goal of the season. I'm not sure why, but the Sabres 5 on 3 PP sucks.

-Last but not least, I know everyone has a right to do whatever they want, but a BIG FU to any Sabre fan who sold their tickets to Toronto fans just to make a tidy profit. :angry:

GO SABRES!!!

Well said, Blue! I was really disappointed in Mair last night. That game was set up on platter for a guy like him. Defensively this team looks an awful lot like the team that slumped toward the end of last season. I remember seeing my first games of the year on satellite just as the losing streak started and being in disbelief at what I was seeing. Lindy has to calm this team down a bit. Their speed should be able to generate plenty of chances off the rush and on the forecheck without playing hot potato with the puck in their own zone. Just a little too anxious. As Lindy says, he have to pick your spots.

As for Drury, I think the focus should be on him today. The team's a little rattled, and he's been very quiet the last four games, with just that assist on Kotalik's tying goal in Boston showing up on the scoresheet.

Game thoughts...

-Last but not least, I know everyone has a right to do whatever they want, but a BIG FU to any Sabre fan who sold their tickets to Toronto fans just to make a tidy profit. :angry:

GO SABRES!!!

I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding selling tickets to Loaf fans. But most of the locations where Loaf fans were sitting - down near the glass between the blue lines and then in higher corners in the 100's and 300's indicate that most of the Loaf fans either had tickets given to them by employers / clients / suppliers or were purchased from a ticket broker / tour company (the "corporate" seats) or bought them as soon as they went on sale to the general public (the "cheap" seats).

TO fans appeared to account for about 20% of the crowd which was down significantly from previous RS games.

Some idiot Loaf fan (I know, redundant in most cases) on the way out after the game shouted something in my ear about how bad the Sabres were. I shouted back at him (I'm assuming he's partially deaf, thus the reason he shouted in my ear ;) ) that at least the Sabres will make the playoffs. His response was, a much quieter, "yeah, I hope we make the playoffs".

It really stunk being at that game, but IIRC, the Habs did the same thing to the Sabres in their 1st meeting and we left the building listening to the serenade of "away, away, away, away" and then the Sabres screwed the pooch in the rematch the next night, and then proceeded to go 5-0-1 against them the rest of the way. I still expect the Sabres to get at least 5 W's against the Laffs.

Some idiot Loaf fan (I know, redundant in most cases) on the way out after the game shouted something in my ear about how bad the Sabres were. I shouted back at him (I'm assuming he's partially deaf, thus the reason he shouted in my ear ;) ) that at least the Sabres will make the playoffs. His response was, a much quieter, "yeah, I hope we make the playoffs".

Sounds kind of like the gentleman sitting next to me at the Rangers game. :lol: