Q: Attending a Sabres' game in Philly

Punch

Living less than hour away, I have done this a few times.

In the early '90s you would be ignored for the most part if the Sabres were winning and you didn't come out of your seat. Depending on the section you were sitting in, it was no worse/better than watching the game with a Flyers fan in abarWhen the Flyers scored, or did something well, they made sure to point it out to you, but nothing extreme. Since the move out of the Spectrum, and tickets harder to get for the lower seats, it got to the point where I wold NEVER wear a jersey to a game - As I previiously posted my young daughter was cursed at repeatedly ON THE WAY TO OUR SEATS for wearing her jersey. If you have a Sabres license plate, remove it before going, or they will probably remove it for you :censored: . If you don't mind the cursing, wearing the jersey will probably be bearable. But if you are taking children, I would think twice about it.

On our way out of the game a few years ago (I had taken my daughter for her birthday because that was the ONE thing she asked for- a Sabres game) she said "Can we just go to Hershey games from now, this place is gross!" Now we go to Sabres games in Buffalo. May cost a lot more, but we make it mini vacations (Go to the morning skate, see the Falls, and, just ask on this board like I did last year - everyone was more than willing to give ideas to do).

If you do go, I recommend chearing with restraint :nana: , it would probably save a lot of problems. And yes I have many Flyer rooting friends who are not total idiots and have respect for others, but I didn't meet any of them at a Flyers game :rolleyes:

I went to game 3 last year. I did not wear any Sabres gear, and I would not recommend it. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad for a regular season game, but who knows. Those people are nuts. Cheer quietly to yourself in your seat, and pray you make it out alive.

I've been debating with myself if I should add this or not, but just for safety reasons I will. Any arena that is in an area where District Justice offices needed to be in session during and at sport events (philly holds "Eagles court" because of the many stupid - usually misconducts, public drunk etc... type crimes) should put a high priority on security. Don't expect that to be the case. While I have a unique perspective on weather a person should be allowed to carry certain weapons in certain places (I am a law enforcement instructor) I think it reasonable to know who is bring what into an arena. If, say, you use a metal detecting "wand" over someone, and the indicator goes off, asking the person what it is would be a good idea, no? I swear to you, they simply said "is that your wallet?" and let me in (my brother had gotten luxary box seats and we were in that entrance a few years ago - they might treat other entrances differently) but they NEVER checked what set the detector off. NEVER asked to see what it was in my wallet that was metal. Horrible. :wallbash:

Probably be a lot safer to go to NJ to see a game. Good seats always available!

NJ has some knuckleheads as well. I went to a game last year where a guy was trying to pick a fight with me on the way out for wearing my Briere jersey. Funniest part of the story is that the Devils were playing Pittsburgh that night. :thumbdown:

I was at the shootout game last Dec. and game 3. I wore the white goat head both times. During the shootout game, it wasn't that bad. During the playoff game, much worse. The nicest thing I heard on the way into the arena was from a 7 year old who said "there goes a stupid Sabres fan." I stood up when we scored and had a piece of soft pretzel or something thrown at me. I did take the seater off and tucked inside my hoodie for the walk out of the arena that time. Call me a coward, but I really like living.

Anybody going next Sat? I still have to get tickets.

I've been to Sabres games in Washington and Pittsburgh and had no problems wearing Sabres stuff and cheering modestly. Then again those were some really nice, gentle fans in those cities. I think the best advice for places like Philly is what ofiba said. Just go on the down low and cheer in your mind -- for God's sake don't introduce a child into that environment. Honestly I think fans who get in trouble sometimes invite it upon themselves. I mean, who wants to go to a Sabres game and have THAT guy from out of town sitting next to you, drawing attention to himself? Wear the glasses and fake mustache, chill and have a good time. You would not be betraying your team.

I went to Games 1 and 5 against Philly last year in the playoffs. Game 1, there was an entire row of Flyers' fans in front of me. I thought it would be ugly, but they were actually very quiet and polite...it turned out they were a group from Ontario.

Game 5 I was sitting next to "one of those guys". He was wearing a Cheese Steak Head, and was probably the most obnoxious and repulsive human being I'd ever seen at a sporting event. After the game I was shocked when he was incredibly gracious. A lot of handshaking and "the Sabres are the better team by far" type comments. But during...shudder.

Has anyone here attended a game in Philly? In full Sabres' regalia?

Is it really like walking into a hornet's nest?

I have tickets for that game as well....going with my girlfriend and her parents (both from philly)...and was contemplating the same thing.

I'm thinking that simply wearing a blue shirt might have to suffice for the evening.

Holy crap, thanks for this thread Punch. I was going to brave it and go with my LaFontaine jersey on 11/11.

I've worn Red Sox gear to Yankee Stadium and didn't get any problems...but I know Philly is horrendous... I'm going in regular clothes.

Holy crap, thanks for this thread Punch. I was going to brave it and go with my LaFontaine jersey on 11/11.

I've worn Red Sox gear to Yankee Stadium and didn't get any problems...but I know Philly is horrendous... I'm going in regular clothes.

dude, was that red sox/yankee game in the mid 80's!?!?! i'm a yankee fan, but for the last four years i've been mostly embarrassed the way - even if only a small few - fans act towards red sox fans.

even if i think you guys deserve it anyway :nana:

dude, was that red sox/yankee game in the mid 80's!?!?! i'm a yankee fan, but for the last four years i've been mostly embarrassed the way - even if only a small few - fans act towards red sox fans.

even if i think you guys deserve it anyway :nana:

Yeah, it was incredibly tame. I was sitting about 10 rows from the top of the upper deck and heard NOTHING during the game. Only on my way out did I hear anything regarding my hat when some heathen (yes, thats what I call you Yankee fans) told me I suck and the Red Sox suck. ;) Ughh... Yankees and their fans.

i've done sabres games in toronto, carolina, atlanta, and tampa. the only place i had problems was in carolina and that was for the playoffs last year. that was worse than boston and buffalo at the aud during the playoffs. the other cities were fine and no big deal. as long as the sabres win they can't say much anyway :)

i've been to several sabre games in philly. sometimes i have worn jerseys, sometimes not. i've always cheered as loud as i wanted to. the worst that eve happened to me was i got hit with an ice cube once...another time i was told to go back to buffalo. but that's it. i just smile in return and nothing has ever escalated.

don't mistake the neanderthals on a flyers messageboard for the average guy at a flyers game in this day and age. the ticket prices keep out most of the idiots these days. not all of them of course, but that building is nothing like the spectrum used to be.

i've done sabres games in toronto, carolina, atlanta, and tampa. the only place i had problems was in carolina and that was for the playoffs last year. that was worse than boston and buffalo at the aud during the playoffs. the other cities were fine and no big deal. as long as the sabres win they can't say much anyway :)

i was also in Raleigh for Game 1 last year...and their fans HATED us. Of course, we were loud, brash, drunk, and sunburnt. Us Buffalonians hadn't seen sun since September.

I have never been to a Flyers game but I have seen the Sabres on the road a few times and the Bills lots of times. I saw the Bills in both Dallas and Oakland wearing full Bills gear. Dallas was tame; no problems at all. Everybody I knew talked to me about Oakland the same way everyone on this thread describes philly. I declined their advice and wore my Bledsoe jersey (this was 3 seasons ago) and a Bills hat, took the BART down to the stadium and tailgated for 4 hours before the game in the parking lot. I was the only Bills fan in the group of Raider fans I was with. I had a couple of the dressed up Raider fans come up and mess with me a bit but it was not at all threatening. Long story short it was totally overblown and I was glad I wore my gear and stood up for myself. I am not saying go hang out in South Philly after the game with your gear on but show up with a jersey. As long as you don't instigate you shouldn't have a problem minus the comments hurled at you. Besides, if you were minding your own business and something did happen you would probably have a nice little lawsuit against the Flyers for not supplying proper security. It is a game, wear your gear just don't be a dick.

ooooh poor baby...WAAAH!!

so, yea, I went to all the play off games in philuh...an assh0le chant may follow you when you walk around the arena. really not too bad tho other than that.

I went to game 4. I must have been fortunate, because there were only a few obnoxious Flyers fans. In fact, it was mostly this one small Flyers group that kept heckling this one small Buffalo group. I did my cheering and booing and not once did any Flyer fan do anything. Then again, I'm not that loud, so who knows?

Archived