GAME THREAD

Corp000085

yeah, i can't stand that either. both as a hockey fan and a former player, the viewing angles are totally different between the stands and the ice. When in the stands, you see a guy on the point with a "wide open" shot, it is in fact closed up. However, as a TV viewer, those a-holes are great... it shows that hockey fans watch the game intently and it shows unity. as a player though, you don't hear them at all.

now onto a different topic... its been like 7 or 8 years, but i'm still angry over this. why is #99 retired in buffalo? ok, gretzky is the best ever... i get that... but why is his number retired in buffalo, boston, or montreal? those teams were around long before wayne took the ice and had nothing to do with wayne's career. sometimes i hate the nhl.

i do love the tsn sabres lovefest though. it might not be an amerian market, but canada is getting a lot of sabres ballwashing this week. atoning for their crappy power ranking maybe??

What exactly was Grier thinking there? If Dallas scored, that would have been all on him.

And on the other side...what was Guerin thinking. Did anyone else see that? He had the puck right in front of the net, decent angle, Biron didn't know where the puck was, he looked for a pass, and eventually faded to a bad angle and took the shot. Thanks Bill!

Some of you guys have really got to start giving Marty some credit. He had a great game (again). TSN (which was the DirecTv feed) was effusive in their praise.

I am beginning to think that there is nothing that Marty could do to appease some of you guys.

Let's see. He has the franchise record for most consecutive victories. He has the franchise record for most consecutive shutout minutes. We have some pretty darn good goalies in our history.

He also has been integral in this stretch. Let's give him his due.

What exactly was Grier thinking there? If Dallas scored, that would have been all on him.

And on the other side...what was Guerin thinking. Did anyone else see that? He had the puck right in front of the net, decent angle, Biron didn't know where the puck was, he looked for a pass, and eventually faded to a bad angle and took the shot. Thanks Bill!

Neither were thinking - sort of like Marty for 1 1/2 minutes in the second.

Nice effort for three periods and a big win. Despite a couple of softies. overall Marty played very well. We also have Vanek on a 3 game goal streak. Hopefully the nhl is beginning to "slow down" for him.

On to Pitt PA!

Take a look at the replay. After the TSN guy said that, I re-wound the video and Marty had his eyes on the puck the whole time.

Hey, he has looked great...but there are two areas where I think he's weak on:

1. Breakaways, which I admit he has had a couple nice breakaway stops in the last few games, but I need more than just a few to be convinced. Just to draw an analogy, if Mike Grier scores a breakaway goal, I don't think anyone here is going to argue he's good at breakaways.

2. I am a little concerned that this is the second time during the past 4 games where he has completely lost track of the puck in the last minute of the game (The other being Colorado).

Just some more thoughts:

Some of the Biron fans get all over his critics for being too critical, but maybe sometimes you're being too supportive. For example, when someone suggests that his streak has a lot to do with how well the team is playing in front of him, this is quickly dismissed because "he made a lot of great saves to keep them in it" or something like that. Yet the same people are quick to blame the team in front of him when he lets in a soft one. Hey, I'll blame the defense when they screw up too, but remember, he's not playing in a vacuum.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, he's played out of his mind in the last month. But, he is a streaky goaltender. If history is any indication, he is going to come down eventually. If we don't give Miller a shot, he's going to be rusty when Biron cools off.

In my opinion, overall, Miller is the better goaltender. Everyone who is advocating riding the hot hand in net, just consider this, what if the team would be playing even better with Miller in net?

Take a look at the replay. After the TSN guy said that, I re-wound the video and Marty had his eyes on the puck the whole time.

Ok, for argument's sake, even if he did have his eyes on the puck the whole time, Guerin still had the chance to take a high percentage shot, looked for a pass instead, faded away from the net and took a low percentage shot.

In my opinion, overall, Miller is the better goaltender. Everyone who is advocating riding the hot hand in net, just consider this, what if the team would be playing even better with Miller in net?

The last loss in god knows how long was with Noronen in net. How exactly could this team be playing better? Sure, they could be scoring more goals, but that's not a product of the guy between the pipes. Oh, and to the person who replies to this by saying they're more confident in front of Miller (an idea I've never bought into), please explain the 11 consecutive wins in Marty starts.

Please explain the softies he's let in in the past few games.

I didn't pay too much attention to the 2nd one tonight, but Dallas really moving the puck around well and I had no problem with the first.

My main problem here is that you've made Biron out to be Satan. There is nothing he can do short of winning the Cup now that would change your opinion.

I was at the game tonight and it was amazing. the crowd seemed to be really into it and the sabres played well. we had a really nice wave going and a good marty marty marty chant after he had his glove saved and then stacked the pads. it was one of the best hockey games ive been too in a long time.