GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

I'll take the lucky win, but they looked very very sloppy tonight: sloppy passing, failing to convert on two long 5 on 3 power plays and giving up a shorthanded up 5 on 3.

I hope they look better tomorrow against Montreal. Back to back is hard enough without looking pretty bad in the first of the two.

damn... after a really sloppy start, and a hairy finish with some bad calls inbetween, the sabres come out on top 5-4. With the lucky bounces and the new england patriots discount on that diving penalty, it really should have been 5-4 canes. as another poster said above, there's not a picture of this game in the standings, its just a W and 2 points. glad to have won it in regulation, and honestly, i'm glad they won it sloppy... it goes to show you that hard work and focus gets you 9-1. crappy defense and piss poor transition work gets you a nailbiter that could have gone the other way. hope we keep it up tomorrow... GO SABRES

I'll take the lucky win, but they looked very very sloppy tonight: sloppy passing, failing to convert on two long 5 on 3 power plays and giving up a shorthanded up 5 on 3.

I hope they look better tomorrow against Montreal. Back to back is hard enough without looking pretty bad in the first of the two.

we play boston...

i'd love to start a new thread, but i won't... this is an announcer rant. I had the canes feed, and i'll tell you what... those guys (peter something and tripp tracy) are a bunch of homer cheerleader losers (not to mention the highly gaydar focusing hilights that tracy has in his hair). These guys really contribute to the ignorance of the casual hockey fan. They described the hooking call in briere as a hook when the guy puts his stick between the other guy's legs. period... then, one of their butt boys does it to drury and they say "marginal... its up to the ref's interpretation". they also botched that roy "dive" as well.

I really hate to be a homer, but we have the best announcers in the league. Sure, they're sabres homers, and focus their talks on the sabres, but they don't prop the sabres up at the expense of whatever the opponent of the night is. if the sabres get away with a call, lorentz will call him out on it... they won't back down or throw it on the refs or the other team's "creativity". its just a bunch of BS, those canes announcers...

so... back to the boston game... anyone ready for NESN?

Win nice, win ugly. Bottom line. 2 points.

7 and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ON a side note. Spacek scored his 2nd of the year and game winner. Jay McKee played his first game of the year tonight against Vancity. Well, part of the first period anyway. He fractured his hand. Loved the guy, but he's made of glass.

Spacek is playing and he can score.

ON a side note. Spacek scored his 2nd of the year and game winner. Jay McKee played his first game of the year tonight against Vancity. Well, part of the first period anyway. He fractured his hand. Loved the guy, but he's made of glass.

say what you want about the season mckee had last year, but the guy was TOAST after that hit in the 2001 playoffs on mario lemieux.

McKee is not made of glass but he has been rather unlucky in certain years........... B-)

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I don't know what the complaints are about. The final 5-3 was pisspoor, but beyond that we out hit, out skated, and out hustled these guys all game. They were only in it because of 2 freak goals.

I am very happy with the way we played for the vast majority of the night.

McKee is not made of glass but he has been rather unlucky in certain years.

McKee is falling victim to the Curse of Nate Odomes ... free agents leave buffalo and suffer crazy injuries ... Odomes was the first FA to leave the Bills, and he blew his knee out before ever playing for Seattle. House Ballard left and also had his career ended by injury. Jonas jennings can't stay helthy, but then he was that way here too ... Zhitnik missed 23 games last season ... (Miro played all 82 but then he is the prince of darkness, the curse is only so strong)

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I don't know what the complaints are about. The final 5-3 was pisspoor, but beyond that we out hit, out skated, and out hustled these guys all game. They were only in it because of 2 freak goals.

I agree with you. The Flyers win was a clinic, but you'd have to be slightly delusional to think the Sabres would be able to put on another clinic against the defending champs, especially since we blew our noses in their rag on opening night.

And that last goal was disappointing, but it should keep a burr under Miller's saddle, and he always comes back strong when he has a burr under his saddle.

I agree with you. The Flyers win was a clinic, but you'd have to be slightly delusional to think the Sabres would be able to put on another clinic against the defending champs, especially since we blew our noses in their rag on opening night.

And that last goal was disappointing, but it should keep a burr under Miller's saddle, and he always comes back strong when he has a burr under his saddle.

Yeah, he usually does, but Ruff also usually plays Marty in back to backs. Will the towel-holding for Miller make it worse or better for his next start?

As AD pointed out, our inability to win faceoffs is extremely problematic and we let up big time the lat two minutes.

Carolina is still a good team that is going to force errors and create chances. But on the whole, I thought we took the play to them and outplayed them most of the night. Who is this Thomas Vanek guy? We could have used him last spring.

I totally agree. We came out a little tight -- not careless, IMHO, but tight -- the passes weren't quite as crisp as usual, but after about 8-10 min. in we played very well until the final 5-on-3. We weren't going to be able to impose our will on Carolina, which has almost as much team speed as we do and is very well coached. Our offense wasn't firing like it was against Philly but that's b/c Carolina was busting it up very well. We still ended up scoring 5 goals and earning the win.

I thought it was a great game, hard-fought and generally well played. I also thought it was by far the best game I've ever seen Vanek play. That line was a force again tonight.

Did anyone hear anything about Kotalik? I heard Jim Lorentz say at one point in the 3rd that Kotalik must be injured b/c he hadn't played in the 3rd.

My 3 stars:

1. Vanek

2. Hecht

3. Max

Tomorrow night we see Chara in a Bruins uniform for the 1st time. They gave him $7.5 million per year for FIVE years.

SEVEN AND OH!!

Wow watching the ANA-MIN game and they just said the Sabres are the first team to start 7-0 since '94-95 ... Wild can match it (but down 2-1) ... I know there were ties in there for many years and I'm sure there were teams unbeaten through 7 games, but still surprising it has been that long.

it's not really a fair stat since every game ends in a winner now.