Philly Just waived

X. Benedict

I guess I am actually not sure about the cap situation.

But they still have to pay them if nobody picks them up.

It doesn't look like any of them are old enough to count against the cap while down in the minors (and according to the TSN article, Baumgartner will stay with the Phlyers if he clears waivers), but since they are probably on 1 way deals Filly will have to pay their full salary while they are playing across the parking lot.

If they are on 1 way deals, they'll also be subject to "recall" waivers, so don't expect to see Nedved back in the NHL this year. Dimitrakos might be on a 2 way deal, if so, he might be allowed back much later in the season.

It's Always Sunny in Filthadelphia. :P

It doesn't look like any of them are old enough to count against the cap while down in the minors (and according to the TSN article, Baumgartner will stay with the Phlyers if he clears waivers), but since they are probably on 1 way deals Filly will have to pay their full salary while they are playing across the parking lot.

If they are on 1 way deals, they'll also be subject to "recall" waivers, so don't expect to see Nedved back in the NHL this year. Dimitrakos might be on a 2 way deal, if so, he might be allowed back much later in the season.

It's Always Sunny in Filthadelphia. :P

Baumgartner is on a two way deal as well. Nedved to the minors. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it but it didn't seem like all that long ago he was an elite player (despite his lackadaisical style).

Baumgartner is on a two way deal as well. Nedved to the minors. I'm not saying he didn't deserve it but it didn't seem like all that long ago he was an elite player (despite his lackadaisical style).

His days with the Flyers have to be over. I would imagine that he would never clear re-call waivers. Someone would take a chance on him at that discounted price based soley on the reputation you just mentioned.

Somebody had to be thrown under the bus after last night's game. The Philly fans have been complaining since the beginning of the season that the team was no different than last years that got annihilated by Buffalo. They are calling for the Coach and GM's heads. So if you are the coach, throw someone else under the bus.

I'm just surprised it wasn't Hatcher.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Atur...ov=ap&type=lgns

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Veteran Petr Nedved, Niko Dimitrakos and Nolan Baumgartner were waived Wednesday after one of the Philadelphia Flyers' most lopsided losses in franchise history.

The Flyers, who lost to Buffalo 9-1 Tuesday night, recalled right wing Stefan Ruzicka, defenseman Alexandre Picard and left wing Ben Eager from their AHL affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms.

They will join the Flyers on Thursday for the game at Tampa Bay.

If Nedved, a center, and left wing Dimitrakos clear waivers by Thursday, they will be assigned to the Phantoms. Free-agent defenseman Baumgartner will remain with the Flyers.

Baumgartner had one assist, and Dimitrakos and Nedved were both scoreless this season.

The 34-year-old Nedved, acquired by the Flyers in January in a trade with the Phoenix Coyotes, has 308 goals and 705 points in 942 career games over a 15-year career.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Atur...ov=ap&type=lgns

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Veteran Petr Nedved, Niko Dimitrakos and Nolan Baumgartner were waived Wednesday after one of the Philadelphia Flyers' most lopsided losses in franchise history.

The Flyers, who lost to Buffalo 9-1 Tuesday night, recalled right wing Stefan Ruzicka, defenseman Alexandre Picard and left wing Ben Eager from their AHL affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms.

They will join the Flyers on Thursday for the game at Tampa Bay.

If Nedved, a center, and left wing Dimitrakos clear waivers by Thursday, they will be assigned to the Phantoms. Free-agent defenseman Baumgartner will remain with the Flyers.

Baumgartner had one assist, and Dimitrakos and Nedved were both scoreless this season.

The 34-year-old Nedved, acquired by the Flyers in January in a trade with the Phoenix Coyotes, has 308 goals and 705 points in 942 career games over a 15-year career.

WOW, big shake up!!

Jeff

This is a pretty telling article on the damage the Sabres did to the entire Philly organization. When the boss is saying we stink, heads will roll. We do seemed to have gained Clarke's respect as the Number 1 team in Hockey right now....

Snider makes move to fix Flyers

Thursday, October 19, 2006

By CHUCK GORMLEY

Courier-Post Staff

In his 40 years as chairman of the Flyers, Ed Snider has shown unyielding support and loyalty to Bob Clarke -- first as a player, then as his team's general manager.

That support seemed to waver on Wednesday when Snider, still seething over the Flyers' 9-1 loss in Buffalo the night before, was asked if Clarke had assembled a team capable of winning in a faster, more skilled NHL.

"No comment," Snider said.

It marked the first time since Clarke was rehired as the Flyers' general manager in 1994 that Snider refused an invitation to support the Hall of Famer.

Snider also voiced concerns over the Flyers' preparedness under head coach Ken Hitchcock, who last month was given a two-year contract extension but is now coaching a team in last place with a 1-4-1 record.

At Snider's request, the Flyers waived forwards Petr Nedved and Niko Dimitrakos and defenseman Nolan Baumgartner on Wednesday and recalled forwards Stefan Ruzicka and Ben Eager and defenseman Alexandre Picard from the Phantoms.

Asked if he orchestrated the moves, Snider said, "Yes, I did. And we're going to make more."

Snider would not elaborate, but it is clear he is not impressed with the job performance of Clarke and Hitchcock through the first six games of the season.

"I can tell you this: The only good part is that it's early in the season," Snider said. "If this was happening toward the end of the season, it would be horrible. But I'm going to get to the bottom of it and I'm going to fix it. This is just the start."

If Nedved and Dimitrakos are not claimed by other NHL teams, Clarke said they will be sent to the Phantoms. If Baumgartner clears, Clarke said he will remain with the Flyers but is not likely to play when the Flyers resume their road trip with games against the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight and the Florida Panthers Friday night.

Clarke acknowledged that if all three players are sent to the Phantoms, their combined salaries of $4.029 million would not count against the salary cap, but they will continue to receive NHL pay.

"I'm trying to send the message that a performance like that will not be tolerated," Snider said. "More important, when a team is playing as bad as we are, how do you evaluate new talent when you can't evaluate old talent?

"The whole damn team stinks."

Including last year's Eastern Conference quarterfinals, the Flyers' last four losses to the Sabres have been by the combined score of 27-4. The disparity between the two teams' talent level was evident Tuesday night when the Sabres skated circles around the Flyers and seemed to score at will.

Defenseman Derian Hatcher was on the ice for six of Buffalo's nine goals as fans at HSBC Arena spent most of the third period chanting "We Want 10!"

Clarke, who spent Wednesday traveling to Tampa, said he was embarrassed by his team's performance and is intent on finding out why his players looked so overwhelmed Tuesday night.

"I want to know why we can't even compete with Buffalo, who is the best team in the league right now," Clarke said. "How come when we play a great team like Buffalo, instead of it bringing out our best, it brings out our worst? I want to know why that's what happens. That shouldn't be the case.

"You're supposed to want to play the best teams and (Tuesday) night we looked like we didn't want to play them."

No one looked more helpless Tuesday night than goaltender Robert Esche, who one day earlier questioned Hitchcock's coaching ability by saying his head was an "empty space."

Snider said he was angered by Esche's comment, but did not blame the goalie for Tuesday night's lopsided loss.

"If he hadn't played well in the first period," Snider said, "it would have been 15-1."

Snider's decision to place underperforming players on waivers illustrates his increased involvement in the team's day-to-day operations. Last spring he vowed the Flyers would get younger and faster and it appears both improvements have been marginal at best.

Clarke changed the face of the Flyers over the summer by acquiring forwards Kyle Calder, Geoff Sanderson, Randy Robitaille, Boyd Kane, Marty Murray and Mark Cullen, along with defensemen Baumgartner and Lars Jonsson. But only Calder, Sanderson, Robitaille, Kane and Baumgartner have played for the Flyers this season and between them they have scored just two goals, both by Sanderson.

"We can't just sit around and wait for players to start playing the way we need them to play," Clarke said. "We sat here long enough already. It's time to try something different. We're trying to attack the problem."

Snider said his concerns go far beyond Tuesday night's debacle in Buffalo.

He noted the Flyers won just once in seven preseason games and once in six regular season games and looked "fragile" even before they faced the Sabres.

"We had an opening game and we weren't ready for it," he said, referring to the Flyers' season-opening 4-0 loss in Pittsburgh. "How can you not be ready for a season opener?"

If Hitchcock is on the hot seat because of the Flyers' poor start, assistant coach John Stevens would be considered his most likely replacement. Stevens led many of the current Flyers, including Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, R.J. Umberger, Joni Pitkanen and Antero Niittymaki, to a Calder Cup title two seasons ago.

Firing Hitchcock with two more years remaining on his contract would be an incredibly bold move for Snider, but not nearly as bold as firing the general manager who, as a player, sold hockey to Philadelphia three decades ago.

Asked how long it might take the Flyers to pull out of their tailspin, Snider made it clear who was holding the hammer.

"I'm hoping by (tonight), but that's just hope," he said. "I don't know how quickly we'll get out of this, but we will, because the buck stops here."

His name was mentioned several times Tuesday night while the Flyers were getting their a$$ handed to them on National TV.
Hey you're right, these were some of his highlights: "Vanek skates past a helpless Baumgartner"....."Roy has caught Baumgartner standing flat-footed again"....."Baumgartner looks helpless as Afinogenov blows by him at the blueline...". ;)

Archived