Gees!

bob_sauve28

Sabres have started 5-0 amid high expectations, while the Bills are 2-4 with their latest loss coming at the hands of a previously winless team. Yeah, that'll definitely send a message board into full meltdown mode...

In the words of some of the TSW regulars, the retard rodeo is in full swing...

amazing how big some people become sitting behind a keyboard! how and what the debates on that website materialize in to is crap.

i'm not happy the bills lost nor did i see the game, but i still have to put it all in perspective. young team and new coaching staff more often than not does not lead to instant success, but unfortunately there is no room in society anymore for seeing hard-work and a plan come together as it is all about instant gratification..

i'm not happy the bills lost nor did i see the game, but i still have to put it all in perspective. young team and new coaching staff more often than not does not lead to instant success, but unfortunately there is no room in society anymore for seeing hard-work and a plan come together as it is all about instant gratification..

You're probably right, but haven't the Bills seemingly had a young team and a new coaching staff for about, oh, six years now? In this era of the NFL, young players have to perform and so do new coaching staffs. There CAN be instant gratification in this time of salary caps and parity. Teams have risen and fallen and risen again in the time that the Bills have not made the playoffs. It's disgusting. I don't think it's wrong for the fans to demand at least one good season in this millennium.

Now, can someone explain to me how Terrence McGee was not back to receive that late punt? What would it have hurt? And how did we not take at least one shot down the field on our final two plays? I know the odds are long, but maybe somebody gets interfered with.

No matter what anyone takes out of this season, one thing should be clear: teams that neglect their lines, whether through poor scouting & development, cheapness, or some other reason, usually end up being bad football teams. Bad o-lines can't give the RB holes to run through or give the QB time to throw, and bad d-lines can't stop the run game or generate any pass rush to get at the QB.

All the talent in the world at the skill positions doesn't mean squat if you can't win the battles in the trenches...

No matter what anyone takes out of this season, one thing should be clear: teams that neglect their lines, whether through poor scouting & development, cheapness, or some other reason, usually end up being bad football teams. Bad o-lines can't give the RB holes to run through or give the QB time to throw, and bad d-lines can't stop the run game or generate any pass rush to get at the QB.

All the talent in the world at the skill positions doesn't mean squat if you can't win the battles in the trenches...

No matter what anyone takes out of this season, one thing should be clear: a game where I watch constant action with minimal interruption will be infinitely more entertaining than a series of commercials with some football thrown in.

I almost can't watch an NFL game anymore. I can watch the Bills; I perhaps can watch some night game if there's nothing else going on, but hockey is so much more entertaining.

Believe it or not: the NHL has it right.

You're probably right, but haven't the Bills seemingly had a young team and a new coaching staff for about, oh, six years now? In this era of the NFL, young players have to perform and so do new coaching staffs. There CAN be instant gratification in this time of salary caps and parity. Teams have risen and fallen and risen again in the time that the Bills have not made the playoffs. It's disgusting. I don't think it's wrong for the fans to demand at least one good season in this millennium.

Now, can someone explain to me how Terrence McGee was not back to receive that late punt? What would it have hurt? And how did we not take at least one shot down the field on our final two plays? I know the odds are long, but maybe somebody gets interfered with.

Ya, they been bad for awahile, ever since that homerun throw back play, really. I really liked that team, especially that defense. I not a big bills fan anymore. Too many commercials. I end up doing crap around the house and figure I can just miss the other team having the ball if I'm busy.

I was wondering why McGee wasn't back there either, but I guess he isn't there punt returner. Still, it just seems like a no brainer. And If I was coach I wouldn't want to look stupid not having him there. Hell, even if he fumbles it wouldn't be your fault. Dumb move but Juron. I still like him though, so far.

it has been a hard 6 years... unfortunately, we are asked to be patient again. However, I sympathize w/ those who are just tired of seeing this team spin it's wheels year after year. It does get old. Very old.

As for the punt return, Roscoe Parrish is the usual punt returner but he was out in the second half with an injury. That said, I cannot believe that Leonhard is the next best available guy - what happened to Nate Clements returning punts? Or why not McGee - can he not catch the ball when it is punted (it is different than a kickoff.) There had to be three or four better guys to put back there than the guy they did.

As for your first point - there is no excuse for how poorly managed the Tom Donahoe Era was. He was granted more power than any Bills exec in history, then went out and generally misused and abused that power by making poor head coach hires; failing to address the offensive line issues; and ran guys like Pat Williams and Ted Washington out of town (Sam Adams was no loss in my book) from the d-line. Donahoe always wanted to make a splash on draft day, and kept using his picks on skill positions instead of lineman; and when he did draft linemen high, he whiffed (Mike Williams.) Some of his picks are starting to pan out, but he left the team woefully thin on both lines. (Nice stat here: The Bills experienced five non-playoff seasons after he was hired in January 2001. During the period of Donahoe's tenure, the Bills were tied for the fourth-worst record in the NFL at 31-49.)

The skill positions are at least serviceable for now; McGahee and Evans are solid, we could use a true no. 2 to take the pressure off Evans at WR, and the defensive backfield is OK for now; but if we don't get some help on the O-Line to open holes for Willis and give JP some time to throw, we won't know if Losman is the answer. The dline is as big a mess as the o-line; we rarely get pressure on the opposing QB unless we blitz, and then our secondary usually screws it up.

I hate to use the same line but it is going to take some time for Marv & co. to fix the necessary areas to bring the team back to being competitive each week. And I really understand why the natives are getting restless, because the team has been stuck in neutral for so long. I am right there with you - I cannot wait to see how they are going to fix this mess.

and you are probably right also PA. In my mind, and unfortunately, when you clean house like they did last winter it is like starting over again. It sucks but I at least gave them credit for giving the Donahoe era a chance - too often owners pull the trigger on a team too quickly.

It is going to take another year or two for Levy and Jauron to bring in the high-character type-players that they so relish. My other coaching question of the day was how come McGee was covering Roy Williams all day? I didn't see the game but it sounds like Clements was not on their best receiver most of the day....

Those were also the Pat Dobson days (Lancaster High grad) - he won 20 games the year the Orioles had 4 20 game winners

Well I guess it would be the later years. I'm thinking about the '79 team with Ken Singleton, Al Bumbry, Eddir Murray, etc... The team from the 60's early 70's was before my time.

Well I guess it would be the later years. I'm thinking about the '79 team with Ken Singleton, Al Bumbry, Eddir Murray, etc... The team from the 60's early 70's was before my time.

I think it was around '67 or '68. Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson all won 20 or more games. That is something that will NEVER happen again in MLB.

1971 to be exact-a-mundo...hells bells, try getting four 20 game winners in EACH LEAGUE these days! :blink:

Thanks - the late '60's are kind of a blur to me. The day of the 20 game winner and the complete game by a pitcher are pretty much gone in today's game. Hell, 6 innings is considered a "quality start"

1971 to be exact-a-mundo...hells bells, try getting four 20 game winners in EACH LEAGUE these days! :blink:

IIRC, there were ZERO 20 game winners this year ...

I, too, am a Bills/Sabres/Oriole fan.

Pretty soon they'll be calling us Cub fans ('cept for the Sabres)

Archived