Same Old Hasek

inkman

His constant whining to the officials, his blatant sorry ass attempt to either impede Danny or just draw a charging penalty was over the top, and his constant waving his glove above his head as to tell the officials the puck has been hit with a high stick. I'm sure his teammates have warmed up to him just like they did in Buffalo. <_<

His constant whining to the officials, his blatant sorry ass attempt to either impede Danny or just draw a charging penalty was over the top, and his constant waving his glove above his head as to tell the officials the puck has been hit with a high stick. I'm sure his teammates have warmed up to him just like they did in Buffalo. <_<

At least when he was in Buffalo though, he was a bonafide all-star goaltender.

Now he's just an old, slow circus act.

Not the same old Dom. I remember him "dominating" games. 10 years ago. Wow. Those were good days to cheer for the Sabres. He is clearly not the same goalie now. Detroit can have him.

Say what you want, but the guy brought about 4 or 5 years of winning to Buffalo. He had the likes of holzinger and Dawe in front of him. no wonder he and Buffalo never won a cup in Buffalo.

I've never questioned his ability. I do question his heart.

Don't you mean Hart? As in Hart Trophy? As in being the first goalie to win the award?

How can a player with Olympic Gold, a Stanley Cup ring, MVP's, Vezina's, unanimus-first ballot Hall Of Famer and by the way,carried this franchise on his back for years probably being the only reason the team is still Buffalo, have heart?

;)

Thank you.

Don't you mean Hart? As in Hart Trophy? As in being the first goalie to win the award?

How can a player with Olympic Gold, a Stanley Cup ring, MVP's, Vezina's, unanimus-first ballot Hall Of Famer and by the way,carried this franchise on his back for years probably being the only reason the team is still Buffalo, have heart?

;)

;)

Blah, blah, blah...Everything you mentioned he won with athleticism. Dude ran and hid at the first sign of adversity.

;)

Jacques Plante was the first goalie to win the hart in 1962. Dom was the first goalie to win it in two straight years.

dominik hasek was the best player in sabres history. wait wait, gillbert perr... no no no

gil was one hell of a player too, but hasek was the best player ever to wear a sabres uniform, and with that stanley cup, he became the best goalie ever. period.

he's a circus act now, don't get me wrong, but back then, no questions...

dominik hasek was the best player in sabres history.

Possibly. Doesn't make him any less of a tool. Anyone ever wonder why his teammates never really had his back on or off the ice? Tool. Plain and simple.

Just because a guy is talented and brings success to your favorite team does not mean he is a good person, a nice guy or a person who endears himself to his teammates or the city of Buffalo.

Possibly. Doesn't make him any less of a tool. Anyone ever wonder why his teammates never really had his back on or off the ice? Tool. Plain and simple.

Just because a guy is talented and brings success to your favorite team does not mean he is a good person, a nice guy or a person who endears himself to his teammates or the city of Buffalo.

he was definitely a tool.... remember that interview that he gave to proclaim that he was really hurt with lafontaine and ray standing behind him? no matter his antics though, you can't take away his greatness.

Blah, blah, blah...Everything you mentioned he won with athleticism. Dude ran and hid at the first sign of adversity.

I would consider palying for a team that got outshot 40 - 15 most nights as "adversity". I would also consider playing his way out of a impoverished, war torn, communist country to become the greatest goalie to ever play in the NHL as adversity.

Dom was the man, greatest goalie in franchise history, maybe entire NHL. To question if he is a good person, just ask those kids he gave $1 million bucks to for that hockey program, even though he was out/leaving of Buffalo. He didn't have to do that. Very few players in any sport give that type of money away, unless its to their own 3rd world country. That's a good guy, he should be held in elite status to all Buffalo area fans.

Dom was the man, greatest goalie in franchise history, maybe entire NHL. To question if he is a good person, just ask those kids he gave $1 million bucks to for that hockey program, even though he was out/leaving of Buffalo. He didn't have to do that. Very few players in any sport give that type of money away, unless its to their own 3rd world country. That's a good guy, he should be held in elite status to all Buffalo area fans.

Generous, debateable. Straight up weirdo, for sure.

There is not a word anyone can utter that will sway my opinion of Mr. Hasek. He was introverted, strange, uncharasmatic, standoffish, combatible, aloof, quirky, overly cautious, defying, and just plain not likeable. Sorry, for you Hasek lovers, but I can't get down with the dude. No matter how great his accomplishments, I don't like him.

If it makes anyone feel better, I don't like Jim Kelly either. (and I didn't like either of them in their prime either)

I think there are a lot of mixed feelings about Hasek, and justifiably so. He was a great goalie with the Sabres and he did carry this team for many years. He did (still does) some good things in the community, and many fond memories of his slinky spine and old-fashioned, understated goalie mask still float around HSBC.

But what really hurt, and I think this is why many can't forgive him, was the way he chose to exit Buffalo and the things he said after he left. Forcing the trade (the Sabres got next to nothing for him, right?) and then saying shortly thereafter that he would retire a Red Wing really hurt. He felt he had to leave so he could win a Stanley Cup (and with the impending team meltdown) he knew he couldn't make it happen in Buffalo. So I guess you really can't blame him for wanting to leave. It sucks that it had to happen in a way that didn't benefit both Hasek and the Sabres, and maybe his insistence to be traded caused that.

But the last straw was saying that he would retire a Red Wing. Had he not said that, I think a lot people would have just let it go and remembered him for the good he did here. The retirement thing was just a big "f you" to Buffalo, and people reacted as such.

It got worse for him after that after he kinda lost it. There was that roller hockey thing where he was supposed to jail time, bailing on Detroit, injuries, aging, mediocre performance in Ottawa, and the last Olympic injury and the questions about whether he was able, but not willing, to play for Ottawa in the playoffs.

All these things now overshadow what was an awesome career in Buffalo.

Strictly looking at the monetary/business aspects of it...he was paid 7 or 8 million/year here and was at his prime and we got what we paid for. He's getting paid $750K/year by Detroit and they are getting exactly what they pay for. I think Dom has always been about himself.

I guess the larger question will be with the current cap and free agency, and we will know this in less than a year, will we be saying the same things about Briere and Drury? Just food for thought.

I think Dom has always been about himself.

:blush:

I guess the larger question will be with the current cap and free agency, and we will know this in less than a year, will we be saying the same things about Briere and Drury? Just food for thought.

Drury is a FA after this year, good chance he could leave. As for B-Rod, when he is givin a 7 year 50 million contract by the Islanders, I'm sure we'll recant.

Rob, I can't imagine Drury or Briere leaving on the terms that Dom left on. IIRC, this is the recap- Dom demanded a trade in which he: demanded he be sent to someone with a legitimate Cup shot; demanded that the Sabres not take too much off his new team's roster, so as not to hurt their Cup chances; and all this while threatening retirement if he didn't get traded and/or the Sabres asked for too much in treturn.

Dom didn't just burn bridges on his way out of town, he nuked them...and for a lot of fans, no matter how much he continues to contribute through Hasek's Heroes, he'll still going to be hated for the way he rode out of town, giving a big F-U to the city. The final salt in the wound was his "retire as a Red Wing" comment, so I can understand why people still hold a grudge.

Archived