Tim Connolly..why is he not on IR??

LabattBlue

Does anyone know why Connolly has not been placed on IR so that some salary cap dollars can be freed up and 1 or 2 extra players(in particular Paille) from Rochester can travel with the team?

Unless TC is ready to return ASAP(which I find unlikely based on recent reports), I don't get it. :huh:

Because if he is put on the ordinary IR list, no salary cap room will be freed up.

If they put him on BLTI-IR, then he will have to miss a minumum of 10 games or 24 days (which with the Sabres current schedule is the exact same thing).

Since they don't have any long road trips scheduled, there isn't much to be gained by carrying an extra forward (yes, I know there is the obvious benefit of not playing Peters; I meant besides that).

By having Timmy on the roster rather than bringing up another player, the Sabres are getting 3 minor benefits.

1. IF he somehow miraculously got cleared by the Dr's. as being symptom-free today, they could theoretically have him in the lineup against Philly next Tuesday. If he were on the BLTI-IR, he couldn't play until the Atlanta game, even if he were cleared to play.

2. The Sabres are banking a VERY small amount of cap room ($500-1,000/day) for the end of the season right now because they are $50-100k under the salary cap. If Timmy were placed on BLTI-IR and they brought a player or 2 up, they would bank $0 cap space. I know it sounds (and is) very miniscule what they are saving currently, but it may be a couple of $'s that gives them some flexibility in a trade at the deadline.

3. The Sabres are still a team that is trying to pinch pennies where possible. I expect that they are hoping after the season is through and the player / owner pie sharing is completed to have spent ~$36MM total on player payroll this season. Bringing in another $750k or $1.2MM worth of actual salary will not help them reach their goal. As long as the team is winning with Andrew playing his 2 minutes per game and everyone but Timmy is healthy, I don't see the Sabres bringing anyone up from Ra-cha-cha for Sabre Budgetary reasons.

3. The Sabres are still a team that is trying to pinch pennies where possible. I expect that they are hoping after the season is through and the player / owner pie sharing is completed to have spent ~$36MM total on player payroll this season. Bringing in another $750k or $1.2MM worth of actual salary will not help them reach their goal. As long as the team is winning with Andrew playing his 2 minutes per game and everyone but Timmy is healthy, I don't see the Sabres bringing anyone up from Ra-cha-cha for Sabre Budgetary reasons.

I think this is the key driver. And before everyone gets worked up about penny-pinching (which I am not accusing dave of here), let's just remember that we are, shockingly, now spending to the cap after having a $30 million payroll last year. Everyone wanted Tom G. to open his wallet and keep the team together. So far, that is exactly what's happened. No one should be PO'd if management wants to save the $700K or so we save by keeping Paille in Rochester. It's arguably better for his development anyway, and I'm confident that if a forward gets hurt before Timmy comes back, Paille will be called up.

Since they don't have any long road trips scheduled, there isn't much to be gained by carrying an extra forward (yes, I know there is the obvious benefit of not playing Peters; I meant besides that).

Seeing as how he has not cost us any games and we have not lost with him in the lineup, I don't think there is any benefit of not having him in the lineup. He has played well, unfortunately no one can look past the previous seasons to be willing to see what he is actually doing.

(Dave this was not directed at you, just the whole anti Peters groups that are out there)

Seeing as how he has not cost us any games and we have not lost with him in the lineup, I don't think there is any benefit of not having him in the lineup. He has played well, unfortunately no one can look past the previous seasons to be willing to see what he is actually doing.

(Dave this was not directed at you, just the whole anti Peters groups that are out there)

I can look past it. I think he worked hard this summer and it's starting to show.

1. IF he somehow miraculously got cleared by the Dr's. as being symptom-free today, they could theoretically have him in the lineup against Philly next Tuesday. If he were on the BLTI-IR, he couldn't play until the Atlanta game, even if he were cleared to play.

Your other two reasons make perfect sense, but I am going to have to disagree with this one. I think one of the things that really put Connolly over the top last season was his off season training. Since he has been doing a minimal amount of exercise since the injury, it is going to take him a while to get back to that position. While he might get cleared to play, I think it is going to take him some time to get back into game shape.

Just because he hasn't cost the team anything yet doesn't mean that you don't make a move if it makes you a better team. I'm not passing any judgement on Peters here, just throwing the comment out there. I know this move is all about money and I have no problem with that.

I think this is the key driver. And before everyone gets worked up about penny-pinching (which I am not accusing dave of here), let's just remember that we are, shockingly, now spending to the cap after having a $30 million payroll last year. Everyone wanted Tom G. to open his wallet and keep the team together. So far, that is exactly what's happened. No one should be PO'd if management wants to save the $700K or so we save by keeping Paille in Rochester. It's arguably better for his development anyway, and I'm confident that if a forward gets hurt before Timmy comes back, Paille will be called up.

I am ecstatic that management opened up the checkbook to keep the team relatively intact, but I am afraid that at some point we'll need some cap space, due to injuries or whatever, and it might mean we have to trade someone like Kotalik or Kalinin.

Yeah charging us $20.50 for Chicken Fingers and 2 Bottles of Beer.....

:lol: Well that too, but I was more thinking of players we are spending too much on. I know all the Marty fans are going to hate me for saying this, but we are spending a LOT of money on a backup. Especially considering how close to the cap we are.

:lol: Well that too, but I was more thinking of players we are spending too much on. I know all the Marty fans are going to hate me for saying this, but we are spending a LOT of money on a backup. Especially considering how close to the cap we are.

I have gone back and forth on that lately. I am pretty happy that we have someone solid like Marty to spell Ryan, and who can step in if Ryan goes down. But at the same time $2M is a lot of money for someone who is, in all liklihood, going to play about 25 games this year.

I know all the Marty fans are going to hate me for saying this, but we are spending a LOT of money on a backup.
This is what I don't understand from everyone on us spending $$$ having Biron as a "backup". If I recall correctly, many were questioning why we didn't have the "vision and foresight" to have extra defensemen signed to be ready to play in the Playoffs. I mean, surely we should have known that 3 defensemen were going to get hurt and put our SC aspirations in jeopardy.

Therefore, surely we must know that Miller will remain injury free this entire season. But, hey we can have a Rochester backup fill in for Miller if he get's injured. We'll be alright.....no???

Well, you can bet the house: if Miller goes down after we unload Biron, people will be SCREAMING at Darcy!!. Because, hey management should have known we would have a Goalie injury.........

I look at it this way, for 2 Million bucks we have security for one season that possibly gives us a very good chance to win the SC. Goaltending is crucial. Sometimes you have to know what you're holding. We have a good hand right now, don't throw away a card just because you think you can improve your hand. It may be a drawcard that comes back to haunt you.

I look at it this way, for 2 Million bucks we have security for one season that possibly gives us a very good chance to win the SC. Goaltending is crucial. Sometimes you have to know what you're holding. We have a good hand right now, don't throw away a card just because you think you can improve your hand. It may be a drawcard that comes back to haunt you.

They also have a situation where they can give Ryan Miller the night off even though we're playing Ottawa and still feel very confident in walking away with a win. I can't think of too many teams that can say the same.

Looking at the big picture, they're not spending all that much money on goaltending. Sure, it might be nice to have that extra money, but welcome to the salary cap era. It may not be in net, but most teams are going to run into issues like this.

Because if he is put on the ordinary IR list, no salary cap room will be freed up.

If they put him on BLTI-IR, then he will have to miss a minumum of 10 games or 24 days (which with the Sabres current schedule is the exact same thing).

When I said IR, I meant the 10 game IR. Where I think this could be a negative(keeping Connolly on the active roster) is that players could become complacent knowing that there is no one on the roster who can be inserted into the lineup, therefore sending them into the press box(unless paetsch is going to dress as a 7th dman).

This is what I don't understand from everyone on us spending $$$ having Biron as a "backup". If I recall correctly, many were questioning why we didn't have the "vision and foresight" to have extra defensemen signed to be ready to play in the Playoffs. I mean, surely we should have known that 3 defensemen were going to get hurt and put our SC aspirations in jeopardy.

Therefore, surely we must know that Miller will remain injury free this entire season. But, hey we can have a Rochester backup fill in for Miller if he get's injured. We'll be alright.....no???

Well, you can bet the house: if Miller goes down after we unload Biron, people will be SCREAMING at Darcy!!. Because, hey management should have known we would have a Goalie injury.........

Why are you assuming that if Biron was moved we couldn't bring someone else in for a little less money?

While we're playing what if...What if the Sabres take a few short term injuries up front and don't have the cap room for a full roster. Then I guess the $2 million on Marty would have been better spent somewhere else huh?

I agree completely. At this point I think it's highly doubtful we trade Marty unless someone makes a really great offer. ie not just draft picks -- I'd want a veteran forward that can score. TG has invested $40MM or so to take a shot at the cup this year. Marty is a $2MM insurance policy on that investment.

I agree completely. At this point I think it's highly doubtful we trade Marty unless someone makes a really great offer. ie not just draft picks -- I'd want a veteran forward that can score. TG has invested $40MM or so to take a shot at the cup this year. Marty is a $2MM insurance policy on that investment.

As you did not address my point, I will ask again:

Why are you assuming that if Biron was moved we couldn't bring someone else in for a little less money?

While we're playing what if...What if the Sabres take a few short term injuries up front and don't have the cap room for a full roster. Then I guess the $2 million on Marty would have been better spent somewhere else huh?

To me its an either-or type situation - either we keep Marty at $2M and possibly have to sacrifice some skating depth in the event of an injury; or we trade off Marty, try to get someone close in talent but cheaper, and free up some cap room.

To me its an either-or type situation - either we keep Marty at $2M and possibly have to sacrifice some skating depth in the event of an injury; or we trade off Marty, try to get someone close in talent but cheaper, and free up some cap room.

Once Connolly is back if we have a couple of injuries that aren't 10 games or 26 days long, we are SOL.

As you did not address my point, I will ask again:

Sorry -- I had my post on my screen for a while before I submitted it. Not trying to blow you off. Just had to pay attention to work.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily assuming that we couldn't bring in a cheaper backup. I don't know, however, who is out there that I would feel as comfortable with in that slot as I do with Marty if Miller went down for 4-6 weeks in the regular season or 2-3 playoff games. Do you have any specific suggestions?

The possibility of injuries up front is certainly a valid concern. However, Connolly's injury, while it's a huge bummer, at least gives us a fair amount of flexibility regarding the cap. Until he comes back (which is looking like at least half the season at this point), we have the ability to put him on the 10-game IR and use his $2.9 million of cap space. So we could easily bring up Paille or someone else from Rochester or even trade for a veteran.

Remember that we won plenty of games last year without Briere, Connolly and JP. We can survive a hit at forward much easier than we could survive one in net. Ask Ottawa if in retrospect they wish they'd had a better #2 goalie last year than Emery. Last year was the best shot they're going to have for a while. Now Chara, Havlat and Dominik are gone, that loser of a coach is still there, and no one would be surprised if they got bounced in the 1st round.

My point is simply that we have a great shot at the cup this season, goalie is the most important position in the game and we are very well situated there. We know what we have with Marty, which is pretty darned solid. I'd want to feel pretty comfortable with his replacement in order to support any trade.

Just my opinion.

They also have a situation where they can give Ryan Miller the night off even though we're playing Ottawa and still feel very confident in walking away with a win. I can't think of too many teams that can say the same.

terrible example. ottawa sucks

Sorry -- I had my post on my screen for a while before I submitted it. Not trying to blow you off. Just had to pay attention to work.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily assuming that we couldn't bring in a cheaper backup. I don't know, however, who is out there that I would feel as comfortable with in that slot as I do with Marty if Miller went down for 4-6 weeks in the regular season or 2-3 playoff games. Do you have any specific suggestions?

The possibility of injuries up front is certainly a valid concern. However, Connolly's injury, while it's a huge bummer, at least gives us a fair amount of flexibility regarding the cap. Until he comes back (which is looking like at least half the season at this point), we have the ability to put him on the 10-game IR and use his $2.9 million of cap space. So we could easily bring up Paille or someone else from Rochester or even trade for a veteran.

Remember that we won plenty of games last year without Briere, Connolly and JP. We can survive a hit at forward much easier than we could survive one in net. Ask Ottawa if in retrospect they wish they'd had a better #2 goalie last year than Emery. Last year was the best shot they're going to have for a while. Now Chara, Havlat and Dominik are gone, that loser of a coach is still there, and no one would be surprised if they got bounced in the 1st round.

My point is simply that we have a great shot at the cup this season, goalie is the most important position in the game and we are very well situated there. We know what we have with Marty, which is pretty darned solid. I'd want to feel pretty comfortable with his replacement in order to support any trade.

Just my opinion.

At this point I don't know who I would bring in. Before he went to the Hawks I would have brought Boucher in.

As of right now Connolly is not on the long term IR. Which means no cap relief. I am more thinking about the situation after he returns. What if he returns to the lineup and we lose a couple of guys to short term injuries. Right now we are carrying 1 spare. When Connolly comes back 2. As it stands right now the team is so close to the cap that they couldn't carry another spare unless someone has a long term injury.

Why are you so comfortable with Marty in net if Miller goes down? Yes, he played a great game on Saturday, but if the past has taught us anything about Marty it's that he has some great runs, and some truly terrible runs.

This is the same goaltender that couldn't take the Sabres to the playoffs with the 10th best offense in the league in 2003-2004. At 28 I highly doubt that he has had any siginificant jump in his development since last year. This doesn't make me very confident in his ability to take the team on a run in the playoffs.

I am comfortable with Marty getting a start here and there when Miller needs a rest, but with a team this close to the salary cap I think it's coming at a pretty high price.

Yes, good question. I just can't think of anyone else that is viable. Marty has the trust of his players. A new guy coming in may not give us that confidence. The point is Marty could very well get moved if another #1 Goalie on a serious SC contender somewhere else goes down. Then, a domino effect may occur and Marty gets moved. But to move him for the sake of cap space seems a bit out of line.

At this point I don't know who I would bring in. Before he went to the Hawks I would have brought Boucher in.

As of right now Connolly is not on the long term IR. Which means no cap relief. I am more thinking about the situation after he returns. What if he returns to the lineup and we lose a couple of guys to short term injuries. Right now we are carrying 1 spare. When Connolly comes back 2. As it stands right now the team is so close to the cap that they couldn't carry another spare unless someone has a long term injury.

Why are you so comfortable with Marty in net if Miller goes down? Yes, he played a great game on Saturday, but if the past has taught us anything about Marty it's that he has some great runs, and some truly terrible runs.

This is the same goaltender that couldn't take the Sabres to the playoffs with the 10th best offense in the league in 2003-2004. At 28 I highly doubt that he has had any siginificant jump in his development since last year. This doesn't make me very confident in his ability to take the team on a run in the playoffs.

I am comfortable with Marty getting a start here and there when Miller needs a rest, but with a team this close to the salary cap I think it's coming at a pretty high price.

Before Connolly comes back, we have plenty of salary cap room. When Connolly comes back, we have 2 spares: one forward and one defenseman. That's not optimal but it's not terrible either. After he comes back, if 2 forwards or 2 defensemen get hurt, I guess we would probably put one of the 2 injured guys on the 10-game IR so we could bring up someone from Rochester.

I have never been a believer in Marty as a #1 goalie. You don't have to convince me that he's not cut out for the job -- the 3 seasons prior to last year convinced me. If Miller goes out for the season, we are screwed. However, I think Marty is a really good backup. Last year, when Miller broke his thumb, I was assuming we would struggle to stay close to .500 while he was out. Instead, Marty ripped off 13 wins in a row. I know he wasn't Dominik-like during that stretch. But the team was comfortable and confident with him there and got the wins.

That's why I'm comfortable with him if Miller goes down for a month during the regular season or a couple of games in the playoffs. If we bring in somebody as a backup and then realize he can't play in the NHL, we could fritter away home-ice advantage in the playoffs. Wouldn't it have been nice to have had game 7 of the conf. finals in our building last year?

The other thing about having Marty is that I think it helps Miller, because (i) it creates a competitive situation that keeps him sharp and (ii) he doesn't have to live with the pressure of knowing that if he gets a night off the team is probably going to lose.

Archived