a NEW new uni thread

Eleven

The pants are a different shade of blue from the jersey as well, a bit wierd.

I noticed this also. I know there was earlier discussions about the 3rd jersey not matching the blue in the pants, but what is the excuse for the blue in the pants not matching the home and away jerseys?? :huh: :huh:

I noticed this also. I know there was earlier discussions about the 3rd jersey not matching the blue in the pants, but what is the excuse for the blue in the pants not matching the home and away jerseys?? :huh: :huh:

I think it just a question of the material used to make the different items. I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but this can be the only possible reason. The blue on the sweaters is a perferated maerial made of 100% pollyester. The pants are made of a polyester/nylon blend, are glossier and are not perferated. This can be the only reason I see it being different.

I think it just a question of the material used to make the different items. I don't mean to play devil's advocate, but this can be the only possible reason. The blue on the sweaters is a perferated maerial made of 100% pollyester. The pants are made of a polyester/nylon blend, are glossier and are not perferated. This can be the only reason I see it being different.

I can somewhat understand that as a reason why they don't match, but come on - this is Rbk and the year is 2006! This isn't some mom & pop store supplying uniforms for a high school - it is the second-largest athletic equipment and clothing company in the world (thanks to its merger with adidas) and with all the technology and advances we have had in the last 30+ years, there is no excuse why the new unis shouldn't match. Rbk has to be held accountable for at least that, and for their role in Sluggate.

[rant] It scares me to see what they might try to do to the vintage when it makes the switch to 3rd jersey. Sure they'll darken the blue, then what? Change the striping on the sleeves and the trim? Tweak the logo a little? Next thing you know, Rbk will have defaced the vintage jersey enough that fans won't want to buy that either... [/rant].

This is the last time I feel like I want to comment on the jersey/logo and all I can say is this. I love the colors and really like the overall look to both the home and away jerseys, but completely agree that the charging bison is an atrocity.

My biggest complaint over the last 2 years was that the home (black) jerseys were horribly boring to look at, on TV or live. The all black, literally from head to foot didn't look intimidating, it just looked boring. I never loved the red, black and white ensamble, just because it was such a strange departure from the blue, gold and white, but when the Sabres switched and wore the white jerseys at home, saving the boring, non-descript black jerseys for the road, who cared? I'm glad that we now have some color back in the HSBC arena.

The choice to use the vintage road jersey as the 3rd jersey is quite frankly, stupid. The jersey and socks look horribly out of place when worn with the new pants. The blues don't match, the golds don't match, there's no silver on the jersey, the wordmark looks strange and finally, the striping completely clashes. Why you pair a jersey with complete horizontal striping on the sleeves and hemline with pants that feature, wide, vertical stripes is beyond me. In my opinion what should the Sabres have done?

Not used a third jersey this season. Why bother? You're trying to market new jerseys...so market them. Don't wear something that ends up looking busy, out of style and old fashioned and completely clashes with other parts of the uniform for nearly a quarter of the season, in front of the people that are most likely to be purchasing the new merchandise.

The Sabres should have waited another year until they were able to get the NHL to allow them to match the colors of the vintage jerseys with the new blue and gold, then released the "updated vintage" jerseys sometime next summer. Not only did Larry Quinn's announcement that they'd be using the vintage blue jersey seem contrived and rushed (by his own admission he didn't have any good samples available, and as of last week, the SabreStore STILL didn't have any 3rd jerseys for sale). Plus, the vintage blue jersey was never that interesting anyways. There was no distinction along the shoulder lines, and the striping was all the same color. The white vintage jersey was so vastly superior because of the blue shoulders, outlined in gold, as well as the alternating blue and gold stripes on the sleeves and hem. Toronto and Montreal are allowed to wear vintage white jerseys at home...though not often, but I see no reason why the Sabres couldn't have waited a year, updated the colors to the vintage jerseys, ADDED DRAWSTRING COLLARS (which always look good on vintage jersesy) and then released an update blue and update white version that the team would wear on a couple dates in the 2007-2008 season.

Most people here freely admit that they like the new colors...think about how sweet it would be to see the Sabres host Toronto on a Friday night in March, and come out with the vintage white jersey, while the Maple Leafs skate out with their blue on blue look? Sigh....

And with that...I'M DONE. No more! I'll let you all know what player jersey I get when I can finally buy a white "vintage" jersey with the new blue and gold!

The choice to use the vintage road jersey as the 3rd jersey is quite frankly, stupid. The jersey and socks look horribly out of place when worn with the new pants. The blues don't match, the golds don't match, there's no silver on the jersey, the wordmark looks strange and finally, the striping completely clashes. Why you pair a jersey with complete horizontal striping on the sleeves and hemline with pants that feature, wide, vertical stripes is beyond me. In my opinion what should the Sabres have done?

Not used a third jersey this season. Why bother? You're trying to market new jerseys...so market them. Don't wear something that ends up looking busy, out of style and old fashioned and completely clashes with other parts of the uniform for nearly a quarter of the season, in front of the people that are most likely to be purchasing the new merchandise.

The Sabres should have waited another year until they were able to get the NHL to allow them to match the colors of the vintage jerseys with the new blue and gold, then released the "updated vintage" jerseys sometime next summer. Not only did Larry Quinn's announcement that they'd be using the vintage blue jersey seem contrived and rushed (by his own admission he didn't have any good samples available, and as of last week, the SabreStore STILL didn't have any 3rd jerseys for sale). Plus, the vintage blue jersey was never that interesting anyways. There was no distinction along the shoulder lines, and the striping was all the same color. The white vintage jersey was so vastly superior because of the blue shoulders, outlined in gold, as well as the alternating blue and gold stripes on the sleeves and hem. Toronto and Montreal are allowed to wear vintage white jerseys at home...though not often, but I see no reason why the Sabres couldn't have waited a year, updated the colors to the vintage jerseys, ADDED DRAWSTRING COLLARS (which always look good on vintage jersesy) and then released an update blue and update white version that the team would wear on a couple dates in the 2007-2008 season.

Most people here freely admit that they like the new colors...think about how sweet it would be to see the Sabres host Toronto on a Friday night in March, and come out with the vintage white jersey, while the Maple Leafs skate out with their blue on blue look? Sigh....

And with that...I'M DONE. No more! I'll let you all know what player jersey I get when I can finally buy a white "vintage" jersey with the new blue and gold!

Good post. I also find it very odd that Toronto and Montreal are allowed to wear their vintage white jersey's at home while Buffalo will wear their vintage Blue jersey's. You wonder if the Sabres even bothered to ask permission from league to wear the white vintage with white socks? (which i think we all agree are a vastly superior uniform and more nostalgic than the blue one's).

If you look in the NHL catalog, Nasland is wearing the old blue/green canucks uniform...with matching pants. Assuming this is a game photo (looks like it, but I could be wrong), why aren't the Sabres allowed a different pair of pants for the vintage jerseys? Pleading ignorance here.

If you look in the NHL catalog, Nasland is wearing the old blue/green canucks uniform...with matching pants. Assuming this is a game photo (looks like it, but I could be wrong), why aren't the Sabres allowed a different pair of pants for the vintage jerseys? Pleading ignorance here.

Vancouver really has no choice there since the throwbacks are a completely different color. The Sabres are probably taking the "what the hell, it's close enough, might as well save a few bucks" approach.

Vancouver really has no choice there since the throwbacks are a completely different color. The Sabres are probably taking the "what the hell, it's close enough, might as well save a few bucks" approach.

The Sabres are taking the "holy sh&t, this is unpopular, what else can we wear for fifteen home games" approach, with no time to redesign the breezers.

No matter; two games, four points, and tomorrow, Ottawa. Much more important.

Archived