Potentially rj's last year

bottlecap

This board sure has changed.

It used to be that no one would edit anything I wrote. I was

entitled to an opinion or a juicy headline that I wrote.

No more. Originally in this post, I wrote the headline: rj's last year.

Someone I don't know, changed the headline to Potentially

rj's last year. What's going on here?

I heard this from someone in the Buffalo hockey world who knows rj.

He asked him and that's what he told him. You can believe it or not

but as far as I know it's true. All signs point to it too. You don't have

to be a genius to know he's near the end. He's said so.

And top shelf: I know you are but what am I.

sheesh.

While changing what someone wrote is a dicey proposition for a moderator, in this case it's the right call. zed, all you had to do was add a question mark or label it as a rumor. Don't get your panties in a wad -- take your medicine and keep on posting!

As for RJ, sure he's going to retire sooner rather than later. But that could be five years down the road. You just know the guy wants to call a Cup-clinching game in the worst way, and now is not the time to retire. When the window closes again, I predict Rick will jump through it.

While changing what someone wrote is a dicey proposition for a moderator, in this case it's the right call. zed, all you had to do was add a question mark or label it as a rumor. Don't get your panties in a wad -- take your medicine and keep on posting!

As for RJ, sure he's going to retire sooner rather than later. But that could be five years down the road. You just know the guy wants to call a Cup-clinching game in the worst way, and now is not the time to retire. When the window closes again, I predict Rick will jump through it.

I agree, the original headline was misleading. For something like that I think a link to a reliable source is required.

This board sure has changed.

It used to be that no one would edit anything I wrote. I was

entitled to an opinion or a juicy headline that I wrote.

No more. Originally in this post, I wrote the headline: rj's last year.

Someone I don't know, changed the headline to Potentially

rj's last year. What's going on here?

I heard this from someone in the Buffalo hockey world who knows rj.

He asked him and that's what he told him. You can believe it or not

but as far as I know it's true. All signs point to it too. You don't have

to be a genius to know he's near the end. He's said so.

And top shelf: I know you are but what am I.

sheesh.

It was me. I put "Potentially" in the subject line. If you had put as much detail into your original post as you're complaint post, I probably would not have changed the subject. You made it look like there was something newsworthy in the subject line. The message inside however made me think, what a waste of a click. Sorry if I offended you, but I was actually trying to head off any more posts like topshelf's.

I agree, the original headline was misleading. For something like that I think a link to a reliable source is required.

Hek, I didn't even need a link, just something to explain why he went with that title....something to say "this is where I got this from." Even saying I heard from someone close the the team/RJ that this is probably it would have been OK with me.

who do you work for, the FCC? seriously I think it's

presumptuous to edit someone else's remarks

except, as in the case of 'top shelf' where it is

derragatory of another poster. I think you are

misguided, sir.

No, you're just a dumbass with a broken enter key.

Actually i'm inclined to Agree.

He didn't break any rules in his post, subject line or not. Therefor there is no reason to edit it. i can see if it was a personal attack or something, but it wasn't.

First ammendment and all that other stuff, i'm a big believer in it.

I checked and couldn't find anywhere where it says, "You cannot post topics as absolutes without definitive proof." So you overstepped your bounds.

Just say sorry, and learn from it next time.

Ps. if anyone tries to flame me for you know, being right, well, just don't.

Actually i'm inclined to Agree.

He didn't break any rules in his post, subject line or not. Therefor there is no reason to edit it. i can see if it was a personal attack or something, but it wasn't.

I checked and couldn't find anywhere where it says, "You cannot post topics as absolutes without definitive proof." So you overstepped your bounds.

Just say sorry, and learn from it next time.

Ps. if anyone tries to flame me for you know, being right, well, just don't.

As another moderator, let me attempt to clear things up, and knightrider, you can correct me if you think i'm wrong. We want a family atmosphere around here with the least amount of negativity possible. The thread title was not changed because it was grossly misleading (it was). Someone could start a thread stating that danny briere is retiring to marry tom jones in a civil ceremony in cologne germany for all i care. The title was changed because it was leading down the road to personal attacks and flames. We're just trying to maintain a family atmosphere here.

And as for explaining our mentality, we don't usually do that as moderators. However our credibility was questioned, so there you have it. We hate changing threads and editing stuff because its just not right, however sometimes it's justified, and because of the reasons above, i believe it was justified in this case.

Why do you have to bring that into this? It's a private message board. The people who run it can do whatever the hell they want to. They're the ones who own and opperate it. People make a mockery of the US constitution when they bring up the first amendment in a situation like this.

I think zed's just embarrassed that someone called him out on his mistake. Maybe he thought he read somewhere that Rick was going to retire after this season. The reason the friend of a friend of the lady who launders Sabretooth's outfit wasn't mentioned in the original post is that there is no such friend? Sorry zed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you have to bring that into this? It's a private message board. The people who run it can do whatever the hell they want to. They're the ones who own and opperate it. People make a mockery of the US constitution when they bring up the first amendment in a situation like this.

Good point. Sounds like someone should call out the ACLU when they start taking their stupid pills.

you guys have too much time on your hands.

Careful now, zed. You might want to empathize with the mods and put yourself in their shoes. Being a mod isn't peaches and cream. It involves quite a bit of responsibility. (Mods, correct me if I'm wrong, but would I be right in assuming that if someone doesn't get their facts right here and it doesn't get corrected, you guys could get sued and lose your shirts? That's the impression I'm getting.)

Sued for publishing incorrect information? Nah. Now, if libel enters into, it's possible. SDS can correct me, but I think it's the poster someone would go after in court, not the board owner. Depending on how the legal mumbo jumbo reads when you sign up...

Sued for publishing incorrect information? Nah. Now, if libel enters into, it's possible. SDS can correct me, but I think it's the poster someone would go after in court, not the board owner. Depending on how the legal mumbo jumbo reads when you sign up...

I think just about every sports message board would have to be shut down. Just think of all the trade rumors (I won't name names) that get thrown around on boards all the time.

Archived