Wanna See The New Jersey Now?!?

PTS

You're supposed to take that its funny, and true. Well I guess maybe only those of us that went to Sweet Home, don't take rosy colored glasses to the past.

Of year in and year out disappointments.

I remember growing up going where are all the banners?

Where people get this grandiose tradition, I have no clue.

Yeah, boo the players. Good move.

How about instead of booing, people start a chant. Something like "the uni's are ugly" or "dump the slug".

Booing could very well be misconstrued. Stating flat out "dump the slug, dump the slug" or even "salt the slug" would be catchy and get management's attention and not leave the players thinking that people are ticked that they couldn't overcome enough injuries to have the October 4 game at home.

You're supposed to take that its funny, and true. Well I guess maybe only those of us that went to Sweet Home, don't take rosy colored glasses to the past.

Of year in and year out disappointments.

I remember growing up going where are all the banners?

Where people get this grandiose tradition, I have no clue.

I guess it is a Sweet Home thing then.

I don't get your comment about the banners and the "grandiose tradition" shot you took - what about the Knoxes, who fought to land and keep a team in Buffalo? What about our fathers & grandfathers, who finally had a team to call their own, one which made a Cup finals trip five years after entering the league? Sure, as Buffalo fans we've had more than our share of disappointments, but if you go through any team's history, there will be draft mistakes made, bad trades, "stars" who didn't pan out - hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. We also had a lot of great players, coaches and memories, and I think that is where the tradition comes from.

As for the banners - who do you want to compare to? The Leafs? All their banners came before the Sabres entered the league. Ditto for the Blackhawks, and the Rangers futility is well-documented. Really the only teams with grandiose tradition (Original Six teams) that have won the Cup since the Sabres inception are the Canadiens, Red Wings and Bruins, and only the Canadiens and Red Wings have won multiple Cups since the Sabres were formed. Fact is, until the last 10-15 years, the NHL was a dynasty-ruled league, with the Isles, Oilers, Canadiens and Wings carrying the torch, while a bunch of teams won it back-to-back or twice in a few years.

In the Sabres' 35+ years, only 14 teams have won the Cup. Just 14 franchises have claimed Lord STanley in ~35 seasons of hockey, so I guess there are a lot of teams with no tradition...

How about instead of booing, people start a chant. Something like "the uni's are ugly" or "dump the slug".

Booing could very well be misconstrued. Stating flat out "dump the slug, dump the slug" or even "salt the slug" would be catchy and get management's attention and not leave the players thinking that people are ticked that they couldn't overcome enough injuries to have the October 4 game at home.

Best idea I've heard, Dave...

I guess it is a Sweet Home thing then.

I don't get your comment about the banners and the "grandiose tradition" shot you took - what about the Knoxes, who fought to land and keep a team in Buffalo? What about our fathers & grandfathers, who finally had a team to call their own, one which made a Cup finals trip five years after entering the league? Sure, as Buffalo fans we've had more than our share of disappointments, but if you go through any team's history, there will be draft mistakes made, bad trades, "stars" who didn't pan out - hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. We also had a lot of great players, coaches and memories, and I think that is where the tradition comes from.

As for the banners - who do you want to compare to? The Leafs? All their banners came before the Sabres entered the league. Ditto for the Blackhawks, and the Rangers futility is well-documented. Really the only teams with grandiose tradition (Original Six teams) that have won the Cup since the Sabres inception are the Canadiens, Red Wings and Bruins, and only the Canadiens and Red Wings have won multiple Cups since the Sabres were formed. Fact is, until the last 10-15 years, the NHL was a dynasty-ruled league, with the Isles, Oilers, Canadiens and Wings carrying the torch, while a bunch of teams won it back-to-back or twice in a few years.

In the Sabres' 35+ years, only 14 teams have won the Cup. Just 14 franchises have claimed Lord STanley in ~35 seasons of hockey, so I guess there are a lot of teams with no tradition...

Wrong. 13 have won it. Another franchise was AWARDED it.

Either way, there are 15 other clubs currently in existance besides the Sabres that haven't hoisted it since Norty and Seymour were awarded the franchise.

And, just to get back on subject, the smeared snot at center ice doesn't look any better in person than it does in photos. It's going to look just as bad on the 11 o'clock news and Yahoo's fantasy page.

The blue unis look like they might actually be sharp minus the snot smear. I'm not positive, because the pants are grayer than the sweater appears in the photo that's been posted here. They look more like the old Islander or Oiler pants than a dark navy. Although the gloves do look to be the dark navy blue. I'll need to see the whole package before I comment on the uni. I've seen enough of the snot smear, though, to know it's horrible. It looks like sh*t on Darcy's warm up jacket, Lindy's hat, McCutcheon's windbreaker, the players' pants, the center ice circle, the video message board, and the jumbotron.

I have a hard time believing the white ones will look good with that yellow abomination on it. Which is probably why that one hasn't been leaked at all.

As I've stated before, PLEASE do NOT buy merchandise with the snot smear on it. If anything, send a letter to Larry stating that if the Sabres hadn't screwed the pooch on the logo that you would have bought something because the rest of the blue uni looks like it may very well be sharp.

As I posted in another thread, in an interview a few minutes ago with WGR 550, according to Larry Quinn, the Sabres are petitioning the league to wear the vintage white jerseys in a few games later this season in the new year.

One game that might be an option will be when the Canucks come to town in January. They would wear their vintage blue and we'd wear the vintage white.

Also, the Sabres have the permission to wear the vintage 3rd jersey in the playoffs and Quinn said they would wear them in a deciding game for the Cup if the opportunity was there.

Finally, there will be no numbers on the pant legs like they planned because the NHL equipment that was supposed to be updated for all teams will be changed next year now instead of this year. Thus making that change very hard to do. This is why they moved to put the number on the chest. He didn't rule out the numbers on the pants in the future though.

Wrong. 13 have won it. Another franchise was AWARDED it.

Either way, there are 15 other clubs currently in existance besides the Sabres that haven't hoisted it since Norty and Seymour were awarded the franchise.

The blue unis look like they might actually be sharp minus the snot smear. I'm not positive, because the pants are grayer than the sweater appears in the photo that's been posted here. They look more like the old Islander or Oiler pants than a dark navy. Although the gloves do look to be the dark navy blue. I'll need to see the whole package before I comment on the uni. I've seen enough of the snot smear, though, to know it's horrible. It looks like sh*t on Darcy's warm up jacket, Lindy's hat, McCutcheon's windbreaker, the players' pants, the center ice circle, the video message board, and the jumbotron.

I have a hard time believing the white ones will look good with that yellow abomination on it. Which is probably why that one hasn't been leaked at all.

As I've stated before, PLEASE do NOT buy merchandise with the snot smear on it. If anything, send a letter to Larry stating that if the Sabres hadn't screwed the pooch on the logo that you would have bought something because the rest of the blue uni looks like it may very well be sharp.

Another dead-on post, Dave. If the slug is bad enough to get you riled up, I feel somewhat vindicated for entrenching myself firmly in the "Slug Must Go" camp.

And I wanted to take the high road re: the Stars & the league co-conspiring to steal the Cup from us, that's why I went with 14 franchises.

As I posted in another thread, in an interview a few minutes ago with WGR 550, according to Larry Quinn, the Sabres are petitioning the league to wear the vintage white jerseys in a few games later this season in the new year.

One game that might be an option will be when the Canucks come to town in January. They would wear their vintage blue and we'd wear the vintage white.

Also, the Sabres have the permission to wear the vintage 3rd jersey in the playoffs and Quinn said they would wear them in a deciding game for the Cup if the opportunity was there.

Finally, there will be no numbers on the pant legs like they planned because the NHL equipment that was supposed to be updated for all teams will be changed next year now instead of this year. Thus making that change very hard to do. This is why they moved to put the number on the chest. He didn't rule out the numbers on the pants in the future though.

Wild Jay, thanks for the update...I'll be heading over to the WGR Audio Vault to listen in on his comments.

This is for all my fellow posters.

The logo and jersey were not designed with you or I in mind.

Why? You ask.

Because we are already hooked. We love the game. Sluggalo or not. We will be there on opening night and through thick and thin. The problem is that there aren't enough of us in WNY to to fill the arena every night no matter how the team does. That's why the Sabres need to attract new fans.

I want the Sabres to be in WNY for the rest of my life and beyond. That will only happen by growing the fan base. One of the ways you do that is a modern uniform.

I have three 'blue & golds' hanging in the closet. Those are the colors and logo I grew up with. They mean the world to me. So, maybe the new logo and uniform will catch some kids eye and it will be his jersey from his youth someday. That's not our decision to make.

When it's all said and done? Will you not watch the Sabres raise their Cup banner if it has a sluggalo on it? I doubt it. So what does it matter?

PEace :blink:

The slug looked like crap on the leaked photo, still looks like crap on center ice. I am suprised at all the flag wavers giving into this crap now that its out! The thing that really is a slap in the face to all us fans is that LQ think that we are just gonna bend over and take this crap? Seems like some are. This is our team too, we pay EVERYONEs salary. We should have a say in such a huge decision. Every pro franchise have fan votes when making a new or improving logo.

Atleast they could have used some vasoline to help smooth the process.

So, maybe the new logo and uniform will catch some kids eye and it will be his jersey from his youth someday.

There's the problem. Maybe I am so far removed now from the youth culture that I am wrong about this, but I just don't see the logo appealing to kids or young adults at all. I'm sure we have our share of young fans on this board, so maybe they can chime in. I would bet this logo is universally disliked among all subsets of Sabre fans.

Good to see you back on board!

is anyone else worried that our new socks will be totally solid blue? it has been reported that the players have been wearing the new pants, gloves and socks... well every picture I see, the socks are solid dark blue. I don't like that at all. just saying...

but after seeing a picture of Briere and Kotalik in the team issued t-shirts (one team one goal...) I don't care what they wear, I'm pumped for hockey season and the one exception of the buying the slug merchendise will be that team shirt if it's available. That will be the only thing I buy with the slug. (the logo is small on the right chest)

There's the problem. Maybe I am so far removed now from the youth culture that I am wrong about this, but I just don't see the logo appealing to kids or young adults at all. I'm sure we have our share of young fans on this board, so maybe they can chime in. I would bet this logo is universally disliked among all subsets of Sabre fans.

Good to see you back on board!

Thanks.

Today's my 39th Birthday. I can't even pretend to understand what catches the eye of kids today. I turn on the radio and hear songs about London Bridge and someone who wants to bring sexy back? When did it leave. :o

I trust the Sabres spent a lot of time and money on this uniform. I hope it pays off for them. If the franchise is strong it will stay in WNY.

I was one who wanted the old jerseys back. Then I thought. Why come out with something people already own?

Good luck to the Sabres on this venture.

Let's get back to talking hockey.

;)

Archived