Why doesn't the home team wear white anymore?

LabattBlue

I may have asked this question in the past, but my early stages of memory loss is kicking in as I approach 50...

Why don't the Sabres wear their white jerseys at home anymore?

I am glad somebody else is wondering about this... I have noticed it across the NHL that the home team wears dark jerseys now... much like the NFL... but I obviously missed the moment when that changed... It had to be in the past 10 years, sometime after May Day....

I may have asked this question in the past, but my early stages of memory loss is kicking in as I approach 50...

Paraphrasing a post I read elsewhere:

Originally teams had one jersey, usually dark. With the expansion of the NHL, a way was need to differentiate teams with similiar color schemes. White was introduced as a road jersey. In 1970, white was switched to home as a way for the home crowd to see the road jerseys. That is why the Sabre fans have always assumed white was always home. The reason for the switch to dark at home has two reasons: the official reason and the real reason. Officially it was to return to the NHL roots and have dark be the home uniform. The real reason was lagging dark jersey sales. In an attempt to get more of the people buying to buy some dark jerseys, they switched them to the home jersey.

Originally teams had one jersey, usually dark. With the expansion of the NHL, a way was need to differentiate teams with similiar color schemes. White was introduced as a road jersey. In 1970, white was switched to home as a way for the home crowd to see the road jerseys. That is why the Sabre fans have always assumed white was always home. The reason for the switch to dark at home has two reasons: the official reason and the real reason. Officially it was to return to the NHL roots and have dark be the home uniform. The real reason was lagging dark jersey sales. In an attempt to get more of the people buying to buy some dark jerseys, they switched them to the home jersey.

That does make some sense.... I know that the Original Six all wore dark jerseys back in the day... I have an old rod hockey game with cool pics....

The other reason given is that most 3rd's are dark. Teams like to wear their 3rds at home, so the road teams would have to travel with 2 sets of unis on road trips because some of the teams they would play on the trip would wear white and others would wear dark 3rds. The league claimed that equipment managers complained about the extra hassle (especially after additional security was put in at airports post 9/11) and cost of packing 2 sets of unis, so the switch was on.

The other reason given is that most 3rd's are dark. Teams like to wear their 3rds at home, so the road teams would have to travel with 2 sets of unis on road trips because some of the teams they would play on the trip would wear white and others would wear dark 3rds. The league claimed that equipment managers complained about the extra hassle (especially after additional security was put in at airports post 9/11) and cost of packing 2 sets of unis, so the switch was on.

Yep, I forgot that in my paraphrase.

Except for Montreal, who is allowed to screw over equipment manager around the league with their white alternate jerseys.

i don't htink its to screw over equipment managers... I think its just a cost saving feature that the league designed to help the road teams... I do believe that the habs have to submit in advance which games they're using their white 3rd jerseys.

The Sabres can't wear white because they're no longer virgins. They got #*%&ed in 1999.

Archived