Re-Signing: Jason Pominville

Screamin'Weasel

Cool. Hopefully they can get a few more signed without going to arbitration.

On a side note, since any arbitration award Mair will receive will most likely be too low for the Sabres to be allowed to walk away from, this signing reduces the # of awards the Sabres can potentially walk away from to 3.

Cool. Hopefully they can get a few more signed without going to arbitration.

On a side note, since any arbitration award Mair will receive will most likely be too low for the Sabres to be allowed to walk away from, this signing reduces the # of awards the Sabres can potentially walk away from to 3.

That said (and a bit off topic for this thread), will the Sabres make sure to not sign Mair before his hearing in order to get the longest possible decision time with those cases that do go to arbitration? Or at least wait until that morning to sign him since, I believe, it is 48 hours from that time as well?

That said (and a bit off topic for this thread), will the Sabres make sure to not sign Mair before his hearing in order to get the longest possible decision time with those cases that do go to arbitration? Or at least wait until that morning to sign him since, I believe, it is 48 hours from that time as well?

That makes me wonder if they already have a deal cut with Mair but are going to wait until the

last day to announce. ;)

Considering that Mair is not likely to get a huge award from the arbitrator (he made the league minimum last year, is coming off a concussion, and plays on the 4th line) and the Sabres may be reluctant to lock him into a LT deal (because he plays on the 4th line and is coming off a concussion), the Sabres risk very little by letting him go to arbitration.

The Sabres only gain 1 day of contemplation by waiting on him (Max's hearing (according to TSN) is on the 3rd), but that may be of some value to them as Max's hearing is the last one prior to Mair's.

I have to believe that the Sabres will have their game plan in place prior to Max's hearing (or at least by the time it ends as Connolly's award should be known to them about the time Max's closing arguments are finishing up), so they probably don't need that extra day, but I'd imagine they will want to keep it anyway.

Long story, short: I'd be mildly surprised if the Sabres sign Mair prior to his hearing, but not shocked.

that may prove to be a great bargain.

I hope they can wrap up Roy for something similar before the season starts.

Roy signed his qualifying offer already. He's still a few years away from being an UFA, so I don't see any point in going for a longterm deal right now. They need to keep the payroll down, so Roy is going to have to wait a while before he can cash in.

Really. He didn't arbitrate, so accepting a QO restricts negotiations until Jan 1?

I wonder what the purpose of that rule could be?

It all has to do with preventing teams from getting around the salary cap.

No contracts can be renegotiated and no contract can be extended until January of the last year of the contract.

The NHL's "hard cap" is by far "harder" than the NFL's.

It all has to do with preventing teams from getting around the salary cap.

No contracts can be renegotiated and no contract can be extended until January of the last year of the contract.

The NHL's "hard cap" is by far "harder" than the NFL's.

Gotcha.

Once again, I would read that thing myself, but we have you!! :D

Archived