Salary Arbitration Calendar Released

Taro T

The salary arbitration calendar has been released.

Danny's hearing will be tomorrow on the 1st day that hearings are scheduled (July 20). I was hoping his hearing would be a little later in the cycle so there would be more time to work out a long term deal.

The scheduled hearing dates for the Sabres RFA's that filed follows.

Daniel Briere - July 20

Ales Kotalik - July 25

Toni Lydman - July 26

Henrik Tallinder - July 26

Jason Pominville - July 28

J.P. Dumont - July 31

Tim Connolly - Aug. 1

Paul Gaustad - Aug. 2

Maxim Afinogenov - Aug. 3

Adam Mair - Aug. 4

I am not sure if this info is out there, but I woudl love to know what the Sabres offer is to each and what the players offer is ... just to get a feel for the worst case scenario and how high it would drive payroll. It's going to drive me nuts waiting 2 weeks for all this to play out.

If the team loses the first couple, especially Briere, does it increase the chances that Max gets traded, possibly even before his hearing? dave_b, is that even allowed, dealing his rights this close to the hearing?

Once the hearing is over, does it preclude further talks up until the announcement of the arbitrator's decision?

I thought the idea was to lock up Briere to a nice long term deal. Or when the Sabres say "keep the core together" do they mean just for one more year? If he gets a one-year deal, Briere's certainly gone after next season, right? If so, the question for all the Plug and Play Plan People is, where's the next budding superstar center? It's one thing to replace a Mike Grier, quite another a Danny Briere.

What am I missing here? Again, I don't get into the business side of hockey all that much, so hopefully I am misreading the situation.

Unless they prove me wrong, I think that Danny Briere will want a one year contract so he can cash it in next year when he's a UFA. As for the next budding star center? We have none. The model for us is young and cheap. Talent seems slightly secondary as it costs. And, hopefully, competitive enough to make the playoffs to make the bonus bucks and hope for a ride. But, in the future, I think we will go back to being a team of young 3rd and 4th liners who try hard but may not always get there.

I would think that you could keep negotiating, but I can't imagine a player in a good position like Briere accepting a deal unless that first year is at least as much he could get in arbitration.

As for the idea to lock Briere up, I am starting to feel like a broken record but here goes again ... just because Regier is trying to sign him long term, it doesn't mean Briere has to want any part of it. In his mind, he is going to have a healthy season and probably put up at LEAST 90-100 points. And if he hits the market like that, it's probably $6 million a year for him. Why would he accept even $5 million a year now? yeah, if he hits free agency chances are he is gone, but it's not so simple as offering a 4-year deal ... Briere still has to say yes.

So I don't think you are misreading the situation, I just think all these guys having great years at once and the team coming together so fast put the Sabres in a no-win situation almost ... throw money at a couple guys to keep them around and probably lose more of the team in the future, or try to keep spreading the money around but risk losing the big fish ...

I am not sure if this info is out there, but I woudl love to know what the Sabres offer is to each and what the players offer is ... just to get a feel for the worst case scenario and how high it would drive payroll. It's going to drive me nuts waiting 2 weeks for all this to play out.

If the team loses the first couple, especially Briere, does it increase the chances that Max gets traded, possibly even before his hearing? dave_b, is that even allowed, dealing his rights this close to the hearing?

AFAIK, there is nothing precluding the team and player from making deals prior to arbitration and there is nothing to keep a team from trading his rights prior or post hearing.

Players that receive 1 year deals can still negotiate with the team for a LT deal. They simply can't modify the terms of the existing 1 year deal.

AFAIK, there is nothing precluding the team and player from making deals prior to arbitration and there is nothing to keep a team from trading his rights prior or post hearing.

Players that receive 1 year deals can still negotiate with the team for a LT deal. They simply can't modify the terms of the existing 1 year deal.

OK ... no secret sources for the salary possibilities submitted huh?

For Buffalo to be successful with their business model, they have to bring all

of these players in at just under $20 mil.

The funny thing is that the arbitor is going to work just as free agency has dried up, so effectively there is not much of a market left.

We'll see. I think we will be in for a few surprises.

Once the hearing is over, does it preclude further talks up until the announcement of the arbitrator's decision?

I thought the idea was to lock up Briere to a nice long term deal. Or when the Sabres say "keep the core together" do they mean just for one more year? If he gets a one-year deal, Briere's certainly gone after next season, right? If so, the question for all the Plug and Play Plan People is, where's the next budding superstar center? It's one thing to replace a Mike Grier, quite another a Danny Briere.

What am I missing here? Again, I don't get into the business side of hockey all that much, so hopefully I am misreading the situation.

I would show Danny's game 7 vs. Carolina and give him $1M for every shot on goal he had... :rolleyes:

Just be sure to not get the tapes mixed up and show that game where he had 14 shots.

I'm glad he has the freedom to show up when he wants to... we wouldn't want to pressure him during a series deciding game... <_>

Shrader shoots, he scores. He beats the rusty SDS like a rented mule.

Careful, that almost counts as an acknowledgement of my existance.

I think we can all agree Briere's value lies somewhere in between his Game 7 performance against Carolina and Game 1 vs. Philly when he had 14 shots and scored the game-winner in OT ...

Which places him in the arbitration range of anywhere between $2.1 and $7 million a year. This thing is like science! :lol:

The scheduled hearing dates for the Sabres RFA's that filed follows.

Daniel Briere - July 20

Ales Kotalik - July 25

Toni Lydman - July 26

Henrik Tallinder - July 26

Jason Pominville - July 28

J.P. Dumont - July 31

Tim Connolly - Aug. 1

Paul Gaustad - Aug. 2

Maxim Afinogenov - Aug. 3

Adam Mair - Aug. 4

So after Darcy gets kicked in the balls by the arbitrator doing the Briere hearing, he gets a 5 day break before he has 9 hearings in 11 days. I guess he won't be sleeping very well over the next two weeks. :lol:

Archived