WGR On-Air "Talent"

IKnowPhysics

What's the deal with Schopp & Bulldog? How are they simultaneously condescending shitheads while spewers of retarded feces? Everything they say is wrong, but according to them, everything callers say is wrong.

They treat all callers- the source of material for their show- like jerks.

Do they really attract listeners and sponsors with this crap?

What's the deal with Schopp & Bulldog? How are they simultaneously condescending shitheads while spewers of retarded feces? Everything they say is wrong, but according to them, everything callers say is wrong.

They treat all callers- the source of material for their show- like jerks.

Do they really attract listeners and sponsors with this crap?

It's more Schoop then Bulldog.

Chris 'Bulldog' Parker is more of a regular guy. When it comes to the Sabres something weird happens there. I think he may be related to or married into Larry Quinn's family. He seems to have some type of "in". He gets very defensive of any negativity towards Quinn. I think fans would like him more if he weren't paired with Schoop.

Schoop on the other hand is a prototypical thinker. He can spout out all sorts of facts and stats but you can tell he has no feelings towards them. He oftens can't understand fans responses to things. I think that is because he has never been one. You can tell he much rather being doing the NY Times crossword or playing Scrabble then talking sports. He doesn't get the fans attachments to things because He has never been attached in that way.

For example the whole logo thing. The cross swords are not just my logo it was my late father's logo. It is the logo attached to many great memories. Our first games. Sitting in the Golds for the first time. Climbing up to the Oranges. The open practices. And yes, the disappointments. It's all good and apart of who we are.

For Schoop to continue to disregard all of that is why he won't make it in long term. He maybe able to work the control panel and stick to ESPN scripts when he has his chances. He'll never be 'Big Time' though. All you have to do is watch 'Mike and the MadDog' one afternoon on the YES network. Those guys know their sports and have a great passion for it. Those guys are major league and Schoop is struggling (play Joe Nameth clip here) in 'A' ball. ;)

DeLuca, would you have been happy with a modernized version of the old logo, or was it the original or bust? Just curious. I echo your sentiments on the old logo, but modernizing it, whatever that means, would have been fine with me.

Man this is so frustrating. This was a softball that the Sabres should have smacked out of the park.

Chris 'Bulldog' Parker is more of a regular guy. When it comes to the Sabres something weird happens there. I think he may be related to or married into Larry Quinn's family. He seems to have some type of "in". He gets very defensive of any negativity towards Quinn. I think fans would like him more if he weren't paired with Schoop.

Schoop on the other hand is a prototypical thinker. He can spout out all sorts of facts and stats but you can tell he has no feelings towards them. He oftens can't understand fans responses to things. I think that is because he has never been one. You can tell he much rather being doing the NY Times crossword or playing Scrabble then talking sports. He doesn't get the fans attachments to things because He has never been attached in that way.

For example the whole logo thing. The cross swords are not just my logo it was my late father's logo. It is the logo attached to many great memories. Our first games. Sitting in the Golds for the first time. Climbing up to the Oranges. The open practices. And yes, the disappointments. It's all good and apart of who we are.

For Schoop to continue to disregard all of that is why he won't make it in long term. He maybe able to work the control panel and stick to ESPN scripts when he has his chances. He'll never be 'Big Time' though. All you have to do is watch 'Mike and the MadDog' one afternoon on the YES network. Those guys know their sports and have a great passion for it. Those guys are major league and Schoop is struggling (play Joe Nameth clip here) in 'A' ball. ;)

You've said it all. Bulldog while he is not very polished as a broadcaster, is representative of "Joe Fan". Shoop on the other hand is nothing more than a condescending little prick.

DeLuca, would you have been happy with a modernized version of the old logo, or was it the original or bust? Just curious. I echo your sentiments on the old logo, but modernizing it, whatever that means, would have been fine with me.

Man this is so frustrating. This was a softball that the Sabres should have smacked out of the park.

My choice? I would prefer the old logo. I do understand that the Sabres have to sell to the younger fans. Their plan seems to be to use the SabreSlug as the prime jersey and the Cross Swords as a third jersey if you beleive what you here. Why can't it be the other way around?

You're right. The Sabres should have nailed this one. A new uniform is a major undertaking that costs a lot of money to do. To end up with something your core fans won't buy is like spending $4 million a year for 3 years on a free agent and have him break his leg the first shift.

The Sabres still have time. I don't think leaking the logo was a mistake. It had to be done to gauge reaction. Everyone who's paycheck is not reliant on the Sabres or their broadcast rights hate it. There is no reason why they couldn't switch the logo. ;)

I listened to this show online as I had no am radio handy. Some of the things they said made no sense unless they were shilling: can't bite the Sabre hand that feeds you as the "radio home of the Buffalo Sabres."

Schopp just could not understand the importance of having actual sabres in the logo. He kept saying, "Yes, we are the Sabres: the BUFFALO Sabres." When someone started to talk about that point, he said, "We already covered that: we are the BUFFALO Sabres."

I emailed them with some points about why fans are unhappy which they read on air. I wrote, "The lack of sabres in the logo are a HUGE part of it. Does Phoenix use a flaming bird as thier primary logo? Does Columbus use a picture of Christopher Columbus? Does Washington use George Washington? Do San Jose or St. Louis use thier respective namesakes?" The response I got actually made me laugh. Bulldog said, "The Capitals use an eagle that makes no sense. Or maybe the third jersey is now thier primary and that's a picture of the Capitol building." Schopp chimes in, "And that is definately more representative of thier city." They are the Washington Capitals, jackass!

I also have always thought that Bulldog is a sports fan first, broadcaster second. Schopp is a moron first and a belligerent moron second.

I listened to this show online as I had no am radio handy. Some of the things they said made no sense unless they were shilling: can't bite the Sabre hand that feeds you as the "radio home of the Buffalo Sabres."

Schopp just could not understand the importance of having actual sabres in the logo. He kept saying, "Yes, we are the Sabres: the BUFFALO Sabres." When someone started to talk about that point, he said, "We already covered that: we are the BUFFALO Sabres."

I emailed them with some points about why fans are unhappy which they read on air. I wrote, "The lack of sabres in the logo are a HUGE part of it. Does Phoenix use a flaming bird as thier primary logo? Does Columbus use a picture of Christopher Columbus? Does Washington use George Washington? Do San Jose or St. Louis use thier respective namesakes?" The response I got actually made me laugh. Bulldog said, "The Capitals use an eagle that makes no sense. Or maybe the third jersey is now thier primary and that's a picture of the Capitol building." Schopp chimes in, "And that is definately more representative of thier city." They are the Washington Capitals, jackass!

I also have always thought that Bulldog is a sports fan first, broadcaster second. Schopp is a moron first and a belligerent moron second.

There did seem to be a great deal of deflection going on. It's the old Republican way of doing things. The war not going well then you bring up abortion.

I would be interested in seeing their ratings. They don't seem to get many calls and when they do it seems like the same four people show after show. ;)

My choice? I would prefer the old logo. I do understand that the Sabres have to sell to the younger fans. Their plan seems to be to use the SabreSlug as the prime jersey and the Cross Swords as a third jersey if you beleive what you here. Why can't it be the other way around?

You're right. The Sabres should have nailed this one. A new uniform is a major undertaking that costs a lot of money to do. To end up with something your core fans won't buy is like spending $4 million a year for 3 years on a free agent and have him break his leg the first shift.

The Sabres still have time. I don't think leaking the logo was a mistake. It had to be done to gauge reaction. Everyone who's paycheck is not reliant on the Sabres or their broadcast rights hate it. There is no reason why they couldn't switch the logo. ;)

First of all, getting verysc ared because I am agreeing with DeLuca so much.

Second, while there is obviously too much smoke for this fire not to be real, I agree it might not be a done deal. if you want to keep something secret, you don't put it on the internet, even in a "secure" location and stamp "CONFIDENTIAL" on it. You may as well stamp "LEAK THIS!" on it. It's like leaving the keys in your car and putting a "DON'T STEAL ME!" sign on it. They knew it was getting out, the question is their motive. Was it to get a reaction and then act accordingly? or was it just to get the possible bad reaction out of the way so people would get used to it? Or Iguess if they love it maybe they thought it would generate off-season excitement?

Personally, if they were not going to go back to the original, they may as well have stuck with the current one and maybe used the original as the alternate like Vancouver has done the last couple years. But an updated version might have been nice. I don't know, I can't help but feel all the support for the "Celsius" designs might be hurting more than it is helping. It just doesn't feel right, as much better as they are than the slug, they seem like amateur knockoffs of the original. Just my opinion.

There did seem to be a great deal of deflection going on. It's the old Republican way of doing things. The war not going well then you bring up abortion.

I would be interested in seeing their ratings. They don't seem to get many calls and when they do it seems like the same four people show after show. ;)

It was the worst disguised PR spin by the Sabres I have ever seen. I know that WGR is the mouth of the Sabres, but don't insult us by placating to the team so blatantly. Whatever credibilty they had, is completely gone.

We are the Buffalo SABRES.

Schopp was towing the company line, and it was quite obvious, and pathetic. The guy is just a regular . A caller will dial into the show and the guy will just lambast him and hang up on him if he doesn't immediately agree with his opinion.

Seriously, the guy just likes to hear himself talk. There's nothing more to it.

He'll say something like, "I just don't get it...I just don't get why this is such a big deal. You guys are complaining just to complain. I'll reserve judgement." BS! This guy NEVER reserves judgement on anything else, but when it comes to the Sabres hideous new logo all of a sudden this guy doesn't have an opinion?

We are the Buffalo SABRES.

He'll say something like, "I just don't get it...I just don't get why this is such a big deal. You guys are complaining just to complain. I'll reserve judgement." BS! This guy NEVER reserves judgement on anything else, but when it comes to the Sabres hideous new logo all of a sudden this guy doesn't have an opinion?

The guy is from Grand Island and he doesn't get it?

If this is true, then he is either being deliberately obtuse (for some type of ratings thing), or

he is just obtuse.

Bulldog seems to be defending some hard earned connections.

Anyway, their last two shows were just too hard to listen to, so I couldn't listen today.

I used to listen to Bulldog and like him a lot when I was still at UB and he was doing nights on WBEN... When they unveiled the red/black logo, he was the first guy I heard refer to it as a Satanic Goathead.

He and Howard Simon used to do a good job on Bills post game shows, and I think Simon, who did the afternoon show on WBEN, used to stick around for an hour on Bulldog's show. They seemed to do well together.

Archived