Peters Andrew Left Wing Buffalo Sabres $460,000.00

Pominville Jason Right Wing Buffalo Sabres Unsigned

Pyatt Taylor Left Wing Buffalo Sabres Unsigned

Roy Derek Centre Buffalo Sabres Unsigned

Spacek Jaroslav Defence Buffalo Sabres $3,225,000.00

Tallinder Henrik Defence Buffalo Sabres Unsigned

Thorburn Chris Centre Buffalo Sabres Unsigned

Vanek Thomas Left Wing Buffalo Sabres $942,400.00

Was there a question as to whether he was under contract?

Yes. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, he is NOT under conrtact. He is a RFA that filed for arbitration. So is this a mistake on the nhlpa's part or did Marty sign a contract today?

Sabresfan.com is reporting that Biron has signed his Q.O.

Here's the article....

Goalie Martin Biron has apparently signed his qualifying offer with the Buffalo Sabres which would be a one year, $2,128,000 deal

Not exactly a statement made in confidence. I'll wait until I see something from the AP.

That being said, it should come to no one's surprise that marty would sign the deal.

Yes. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, he is NOT under conrtact. He is a RFA that filed for arbitration. So is this a mistake on the nhlpa's part or did Marty sign a contract today?

I'm sorry, I responded without thinking... I knew that. I guess all the talk about it not being reasonable to keep him as a backup given his salary made me think in my mind for a moment that he was under contract.

Goalie Martin Biron has apparently signed his qualifying offer with the Buffalo Sabres which would be a one year, $2,128,000 deal

Not exactly a statement made in confidence. I'll wait until I see something from the AP.

That being said, it should come to no one's surprise that marty would sign the deal.

WGR now reporting that he has...

Their story ...

Biron never filed for arbitration. Back when he was given the qualifying offer, he said that he was going to accept it, hoping that it would help (AHHHHHHH, yeah, I've been watching Pee Wee's Playhouse) get a trade worked out quicker. I never saw anything until now saying that he actually did accept the qualifying offer or not.

Biron never filed for arbitration. Back when he was given the qualifying offer, he said that he was going to accept it, hoping that it would help (AHHHHHHH, yeah, I've been watching Pee Wee's Playhouse) get a trade worked out quicker. I never saw anything until now saying that he actually did accept the qualifying offer or not.

My bad, thanks for the correct info.

I wonder if a trade is looming?

His agent said that he wasn't actively talking with other teams about a trade. It could be misdirection as the more you deny something the more true it is. But, could it also be that Marty is thinking that he could stick around one more year, collect his $2 mil, and then become an UFA next year so that he can have more freedom to choose where he lands as opposed to being sent somewhere that he might not necessarily want to go? Does he become a UFA next year anyone know? And, if he does, then it might turn out that they would trade him before the deadline so they would get something in return rather than letting him walk for free?

IF Marty didn't sign the offer he'd be in limbo for a much longer period of time. The signing does many things.

It gives Buffalo the knowledge that if Miller doesn't sign a new deal, they've got Biron as their # 1.

Biron signing now puts pressure on Miller to sign his deal. It gives the Sabres leverage and assurance they'll have at least one in the fold.

If Miller signs then the Sabres can move Biron easier as they will know they have a number 1 and he could be moved.

Biron now has a better chance of being dealt, once Miller signs on. And not signing a contract worth $2.1 million is plain stupid.

"goalie Ryan Miller, who declined his arbitration rights and is looking for a short-term deal." www.buffalonews.com By TIM GRAHAM I have a feeling we may see Biron as a started either this year or next year as a Buffalo Sabre... I think Miller may not be around for to long...

am I wrong or don't the sabres own Miller's rights until after 2008-2009?

am I wrong or don't the sabres own Miller's rights until after 2008-2009?

Close, he can become an UFA in 2008. Sabres maintain his rights for at least the next 2 seasons.

His wanting to sign a 1 year deal just tells me he thinks he will be able to put up another season like the past one. If he does, any deal he's looking at will be for much more money than what is probably being offered now. It likely also won't be for less money than is being offered now (or at least not much less money than whatever the current offer is, even if he has a huge sophmore slump). Barring a catastrophic injury (which the odds are in his favor that one won't occur at age 25 / 26), he really can't lose by signing a 1 year deal.

It would be in the best interests of the Sabres to get him to ink a 3 or 4 year deal now, but with all the other contracts that are up, they may not be able to pull that off this off-season. I don't see the Sabres offering him a 2 year deal under any circumstance this off-season.

Yeah I agree with dave ... Miller probably turned down arbitration thinking Biron would be traded for sure and he would get the chance to put up big numbers next season ... even if he was not unrestricted, he could win more in arbitration next year than he could this year ... as good as he was this past season, the results can be twisted against him in a way ... the Sabres can go in to the arbitrator and say "We really like Ryan and think is the our goalie of the future, as evidenced by his playing every playoff game ... but ...

- He has played exactly one full NHL season

- He could not stay healthy for that one NHL season

- As a result he played fewer than 50 games and we don't see him playing any more this season

The ultimate dream would be having both Marty and Ryan which would equal the best goalie tandum in the NHL next season!! If Marty can be professional about it, get your $2.1 mil or whatever, play backup, come in when needed and win the Stanley Cup!!!!!

Would you rather play the game to be the #1 starter? Or play the game to win the championship? I think we all know the answer.

IF Marty didn't sign the offer he'd be in limbo for a much longer period of time. The signing does many things.

It gives Buffalo the knowledge that if Miller doesn't sign a new deal, they've got Biron as their # 1.

Biron signing now puts pressure on Miller to sign his deal. It gives the Sabres leverage and assurance they'll have at least one in the fold.

If Miller signs then the Sabres can move Biron easier as they will know they have a number 1 and he could be moved.

Biron now has a better chance of being dealt, once Miller signs on. And not signing a contract worth $2.1 million is plain stupid.

Great insight - not a wasted word.

Yeah I agree with dave ... Miller probably turned down arbitration thinking Biron would be traded for sure and he would get the chance to put up big numbers next season ... even if he was not unrestricted, he could win more in arbitration next year than he could this year ... as good as he was this past season, the results can be twisted against him in a way ... the Sabres can go in to the arbitrator and say "We really like Ryan and think is the our goalie of the future, as evidenced by his playing every playoff game ... but ...

- He has played exactly one full NHL season

- He could not stay healthy for that one NHL season

- As a result he played fewer than 50 games and we don't see him playing any more this season

Seeing that his injury was kind of freakish, I wouldn't exactly hold that against him.

Archived