Havlat & Smolinski to the Blackhawks...

elcrusho

Sportsnet.ca is reporting In a three-way deal: Ottawa Senators traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks traded Tom Preissing and Josh Hennessy to the Ottawa Senators (via Chicago), Chicago Blackhawks traded Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks and traded Michal Barinka and a 2nd round selection in 2008 to the Ottawa Senators.

That's a lot of young talent headed to Ottawa ... but I for one am glad to see Havlat go from the division ... at least in the regular season he seemed to be a Sabre killer.

Muckler will probably take some heat for this move in the short term, and obviously there is risk the young guys will not pan out, but they lost Chara for nothing and likely would have lost Havlat after the season to free agency too, they have some expensive guys on that team.

havlat for 6 million a season, all i can do is laugh at the blackhawks stupidity.

What else can you do, in all honesty? Even after the strike, teams still can't help themselves when it comes to salaries. I thought the whole point of the lockout was the owners saying "help us stop ourselves from over-spending"? They have learned nothing, I guess.

havlat for 6 million a season, all i can do is laugh at the blackhawks stupidity.

Well, if you decide to change your handle, let us know!! (unless you decide to turn into NJsue and support the blackhawks because your favorite player changed teams)

So, do you think this trade will help, hurt, or be indifferent to the senators? They've made some interesting moves this offseason.

What else can you do, in all honesty? Even after the strike, teams still can't help themselves when it comes to salaries. I thought the whole point of the lockout was the owners saying "help us stop ourselves from over-spending"? They have learned nothing, I guess.

In the pre-lockout NHL, Havlat probably would have gone to Detroit, Toronto, Philly, or the Rangers. Star players will still get their money, but they'll no longer be playing on mini-all star teams (not saying that strategy was always successful, though).

Well, the bleeding continues in Ottawa. They've now lost Chara, Havlat and Dominik from last year's team. Their new goalie got shelled repeatedly and lost his job in the playoffs last year. I've said this before, but all things considered we haven't lost nearly as much as the other cup contenders from last year.

On the other hand, Havlat getting $6 million makes me nervous about whether we'll be able to sign Briere to a long-term deal.

Go Sabres.

All owners in all sports can't help themselves when it comes to salaries. Those owners who refuse to pour every available $ into the payroll via overpaid superstar spolied brats are branded as tightwads, cheapskates, etc. As fans, we deride those ownes who choose to spend like drunken whores, while at the same time complaining about those owners who try to stick to a budget and not jeopordize the teams' financial stability and long-term future.

(BTW, this isn't an attempt to rehash all the debates we have had on here about Darcy and TG and spending his money, etc.; rather, just a general observation on this love-hate relationship between fans and owners & how they deal with player salaries & finances.)

Well, the bleeding continues in Ottawa. They've now lost Chara, Havlat and Dominik from last year's team. Their new goalie got shelled repeatedly and lost his job in the playoffs last year. I've said this before, but all things considered we haven't lost nearly as much as the other cup contenders from last year.

How is this Bleeding, i dont quite understand your logic. Chara is really the only loss from last season. And while sure hes a big loss - as a whole i believe the Sens Defense is more complete. One stud, and 5 or 6 guys that would be top 4 d-men on another team.

How often did we have Havlat last year? 17 games, and one playoff series? Same goes for Hasek - he did some real good for us against the sabres in the playoffs now didnt he?

How is this Bleeding, i dont quite understand your logic. Chara is really the only loss from last season. And while sure hes a big loss - as a whole i believe the Sens Defense is more complete. One stud, and 5 or 6 guys that would be top 4 d-men on another team.

How often did we have Havlat last year? 17 games, and one playoff series? Same goes for Hasek - he did some real good for us against the sabres in the playoffs now didnt he?

Keep saying that, my friend, and it may start to sound like the truth. From my vantage point I observe:

1. Hasek drove your team to perform at an incredibly high level for the 1st 50 games or so, which got them the #1 seed in the conference. There was a huge dropoff after he went out with the injury.

2. You are certainly correct that you didn't have Havlat for most of the year. However, he's still a star player that you gave up in exchange for a #3-#4 defenseman and a prospect. Who would you rather have kept: Havlat or any of Alfredsson, Spezza or Heatley?

3. I would love to have Redden on my team, but Chara is a great, dominant player and a huge loss. If I were you, I would rather have kept him than Redden.

4. The one guy whom you really should've gotten rid of -- that uptight, puckered, loser coach -- is still there.

5. There are still substantial questions in goal -- I wouldn't be too happy about paying Gerber about $3.5 million per year.

Now, Ottawa will still be a top 4 team in the East next year. But I don't see how you can maintain that it hasn't absorbed a series of body blows that are going to leave it weaker than last year.

Feel free to give all this back to me and more if Ottawa beats us in October...

In the meantime have a great summer.

Archived