GM Regier better not screw this up

Buffalo Tendencies

Don't get me wrong, Regier has done a pretty good job so far, a few bumps (no late trade for O or D) and some great hits (see the following players, keeping Ruff). But he NEEDS to keep this team together. Him and Mr G. need to spend some cash. So he still may be in the red after purchasing the team, but what kind of investment returns 100% in 2-5 years, especially in the $60+ million range. What kind of return did those election tours generate? Now, we have lost 2 good pieces to our team (Mckee, Grier), Marty needs and wants out.

Beer-on!!! Teppo's back! But he's got to be the oldest guy in the NHL!!! So we have 12 players going to arbitration. Is this unheard of? Sounds like it to me, when they make up the CORE players of our team, only Miller is missing. I don't know details, but I think if these gusy are trying to get McKee level contracts, their crazy. However Regier should'nt be nickel and diming them....

Here is what I feel these guys should be paid and how it should effect the CRAP....CAP.

Maxim Afinogenov ---- A force during the reg season $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Daniel Briere ---- Up and Down, but mostly UP $3.0 Mil @ 4 years = $12

Brian Campbell ---- Still a little green $2.25 Mil @ 4 years = $9

Tim Connolly ---- Questions, but dynamite when in $2.25 mil @ 4 years = $9 (Throw some incentives in maybe (+.75 mi?).

J-P Dumont ---- Up and Down, but mostly UP $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Ales Kotalik --- Solid $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Toni Lydman --- Solid $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Paul Gaustad --- Solid $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Adam Mair --- Questions, but not many $2.5 Mil @ 4 years = $10

Andrew Peters --- Backup, on the verge? $2.0 Mil @ 4 years = $8

Jason Pominville --- Up and Down, but mostly UP $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

Henrik Tallinder --- Solid $2.75 Mil @ 4 years = $11

This is $32 mil each year, the CAP $44. With a few players signed (Miller, Duruy). $12 mil left, I think we could work a few contracts to give here or there, year to year and be at the CAP. No one player making really more than another. This is a great team and needs to stay together. Looks like the got the same agent from here on the couch and the Arbitrator chair........

GO SABRES

Go BILLS

* The new Sabres colors, icons look kinda ILL. Was there a fan poll I missed?

Sabres fan in Carolina Country

No one else wants to jump in here? I guess I'll bite first, since I can't seem to sleep tonight...

I don't disagree with your idea of locking up & keeping the core togther, but there are a couple things I noticed in your assessment - first, Andrew Peters is not now, nor will he ever be, part of this team's core, and in his limited role (28 games this year) there is no way he sniffs $2M per for 4 years. Doing that gets Darcy fired - no questions asked; heck, there would probably be a mob with pitchforks & torches (likely led by many of the posters here) descending on HSBC looking for him when that deal hits the internet or news.

Guys like Connolly and Mair now have serious concussion histories - meaning one big hit could force them into retirement. If they go, and TG/Darcy have given them 4-year deals, I am pretty sure we are on the hook for the cap number until those contracts expire. I don't think we can afford $4M+ per year in dead cap space. Plus Connolly's number (and a couple others on here) seem high to me for guys who have had essentially one good season. Likewise, I don't think we get Briere signed for $3M per year - I shudder to think what its going to take to keep him in the fold - I think around $4.5+ is a good starting point in those negotiations.

Like I said, I like the idea of locking up our young talent but we can't throw a bunch of dough at some of these young guys, seeing as they haven't played more than one full or good season (Pominville); are 4th-line checkers (Mair, Gaustad); or are flash in the pan, one-hit wonders (Max and Kotalik.) In theory I like the idea of slotting players salary-wise, but I don't think that's gonna fly with most players and their agents, regardless of how much of a team player they are.

My other question is where guys like Kalinin, Vanek, Roy, fit in - I think they are part of the core more than guys like Peters, Mair and Kotalik.

Don't get me wrong, Regier has done a pretty good job so far, a few bumps (no late trade for O or D) and some great hits (see the following players, keeping Ruff). But he NEEDS to keep this team together. Him and Mr G. need to spend some cash. So he still may be in the red after purchasing the team, but what kind of investment returns 100% in 2-5 years, especially in the $60+ million range. What kind of return did those election tours generate? Now, we have lost 2 good pieces to our team (Mckee, Grier), Marty needs and wants out.

Beer-on!!! Teppo's back! But he's got to be the oldest guy in the NHL!!! So we have 12 players going to arbitration. Is this unheard of? Sounds like it to me, when they make up the CORE players of our team, only Miller is missing. I don't know details, but I think if these gusy are trying to get McKee level contracts, their crazy. However Regier should'nt be nickel and diming them....

Here is what I feel these guys should be paid and how it should effect the CRAP....CAP.

Tim Connolly ---- Questions, but dynamite when in $2.25 mil @ 4 years = $9 (Throw some incentives in maybe (+.75 mi?).

This is $32 mil each year, the CAP $44. With a few players signed (Miller, Duruy). $12 mil left, I think we could work a few contracts to give here or there, year to year and be at the CAP. No one player making really more than another. This is a great team and needs to stay together. Looks like the got the same agent from here on the couch and the Arbitrator chair........

GO SABRES

Go BILLS

I think you're overpaying a bunch of guys, and underpaying Briere and Tallinder.

Briere could go as high as $4 million. Tallinder will probably sign a similar deal to Spacek's, just over $3 million.

Gaustad is worth nowhere near $2.75, that's 7x what he currently makes. 4th line centers are lucky to make $1 million a year, and that sounds about right for Gaustad; sign him to a couple of years, and give him an option for double that. $2.5 million is also way to high for Mair. $1.2 million a year would triple his salary, and that might be a bit high.

Peters will never, ever, never, ever be worth anywhere near the neighborhood of 2 million a year. He signs for the 10% increase or Regier walks from the negotiation. This guy didn't even play in enough games to get his name on the Cup if the Sabres won it. Fighters are a dime a dozen. He is easibly replaceable. Peters would be lucky to get 500k.

Pomiville is going to be a good one, but 2.75 million is also almost a 7x increase in his current salary. He's young enough where the Sabres can sign him to around $1.2 million for a couple of years, with an option of around $2.5 million his final year.

GO SABRES

Go BILLS

This has to be Andjuice Peters posting. Only he thinks he should get paid $2 million ayear.

This is one of the few I don't have a huge problem with but if Max is smart he'll take a one year contract and look for a big payday after building on last season.

No way he is getting $3 mil a year. We'll be lucky if the arbitrator gives him less than $4.5.

I think you might be able to get him for $500k less but not a ridiculous offer.

Tim Connolly ---- Questions, but dynamite when in $2.25 mil @ 4 years = $9

No way you give a player with his injury problems a guaranteed $9 mil.

Too much $, too long a deal.

Floats too much for a 4 year deal.

Good deal.

That is roughly 3 times what he would demand.

The only thing more ridiculous is Peter's offer.

On the verge of what? Caving in another thug's face? Vet Min + the 10% he's obligated.

We don't need to overpay for him yet. Let him prove what he did was just the start.

Good deal, but you could get away with a little less.

Buffalo Tendencies... i'm glad YOURE not Darcy Regier so you can screw it all up. Don't get me wrong... you've done some good posting in the past with a few bumps in the road here and there.

Can I ask you what sort of crack you've been smoking?

The Sabres, under Darcy, have rarely given a 4 year deal to anyone. The only that come to mind is Hasek in 1998 and Drury. This is a team whose owner has said "i wish my employees had day long contracts" Most of your scenarios had them at 4 years. It'd be great if we acted like most teams and did long deals, but I'm sorry, our organEYEzation has fiscal and length of deal restraint.

Secondly, Why on God's Green Earth are you resigning Andrew Peters for a guaranteed 8 million dollars? Do you realize that 2 million last year bought you Numminen and furthermore is a HIGHER end salary on our team? Thats more than Grier signed for in SJ. I'll take Grier over Peters anyday.

Mair and Gaustad shouldn't make over 900K per.

Briere is gonna be the highest paid Sabre by far. He was on pace to have 100pts. Glad he got injured though! He'll fit into the Sabres salary structure.

Kotalik is hardly solid. Well, check that, he's solid at disappearing. no more than 2 mil for him.

Arbitration is the only prayer these guys have to make market value...not Sabre market value. The only thing that makes me uneasy is that if salaries get too out of whack, the trading deadline makes us a seller. Oakland A's anyone? Just wish we had a Billy Beane type of visionary at the GM spot.

GO SABRES

Go BILLS

The money you just paid to Gaustad, Mair & Peters would get you fired ASAP. The three of them combined should barely have a salary of 2.75 million per year.

If that doesn't get you fired, the contracts for Kotalik, Dumont & Pominville will.

Your problem begins with the statement that no one player should make a lot more than the rest, but in reality the talent level varies greatly on this team and the players should be paid accordingly. It is a good thought to keep the team together, but with the limited budget Darcy is working with, it will be next to impossible. Salary budget for 06-07...probably around 34-36 million.

Salary slotting isn't a bad idea in lower-tier leagues - Arena Football comes to mind - but it just isn't feasible in a league where the revenues are much higher and there is more star power.

Salary slotting isn't a bad idea in lower-tier leagues - Arena Football comes to mind - but it just isn't feasible in a league where the revenues are much higher and there is more star power.

The NHL is a lower-tier league. And with arbitration a part of the CBA, slotting is necessary.

jad - I agree that the NHL is not in the same league as the NFL, MLB, NBA, but my definition of lower-tier is Arena Football, MLS, MILL (or whatever the indoor lacrosse league is called now) - not a top-5/6 league with annual revenues in excess of $2 billion.

I agree slotting is not only necessary but a requirement for most teams, but just not in the way Buffalo Tendencies seems to envision it. What I mean is you can't have Gaustad making the exact same amount as Tallinder, Lydman and Pominville.

BT, you have no business as a GM.

Why are all slotted for 4-year contracts? What is the age of free agency? Have you looked at that? Who do you really want to lock up and get past their free agency age? These things need to be staggered so we don't have 12 players leaving at the same time.

$2M for Peters? You're out of your mind.

I think you're overpaying a bunch of guys, and underpaying Briere and Tallinder.

Briere could go as high as $4 million. Tallinder will probably sign a similar deal to Spacek's, just over $3 million.

Gaustad is worth nowhere near $2.75, that's 7x what he currently makes. 4th line centers are lucky to make $1 million a year, and that sounds about right for Gaustad; sign him to a couple of years, and give him an option for double that. $2.5 million is also way to high for Mair. $1.2 million a year would triple his salary, and that might be a bit high.

Peters will never, ever, never, ever be worth anywhere near the neighborhood of 2 million a year. He signs for the 10% increase or Regier walks from the negotiation. This guy didn't even play in enough games to get his name on the Cup if the Sabres won it. Fighters are a dime a dozen. He is easibly replaceable. Peters would be lucky to get 500k.

Pomiville is going to be a good one, but 2.75 million is also almost a 7x increase in his current salary. He's young enough where the Sabres can sign him to around $1.2 million for a couple of years, with an option of around $2.5 million his final year.

Option years have been grandfathered out via the new CBA.

Other than that, your thoughts sound reasonable.

Archived