Drury Is Worth $6 Million In This Market

bob_sauve28

If McKee is worth 4, then yes Drury would have hit the jack pot. It's going to be hard holding this team together. Gotta hope that the young players just keep coming and letting the vets go as they hit UFA

This Free Agency exuberance will die down.

Take a look at Toronto: They sign McCabe, Gill, Kaberle, and Kubina for a total of $17 mil

And they still have Mats Sundin at 7.6 mil

My Catholic Math says they have 18-19 million left for the 20 other players.

Likewise - Boston signs Chara and Savard so their top 4 make Chara 7.5mil Murray 4.1 mil

Zhamnov 4.1 mil, Savard 4 mil for a total of 19.75 mil on 4 players. They have just over 24 million left for the rest of the team!

These teams have boxed themselves in early. Their shopping is done and they decided that big names are more important than depth.

Funny. Was nobody watching last season?

Apparently not, and thank god for that.

What The Sabres need to do is stay at .500 until December, then watch as teams lose their overpriced players to invevitable injuries, then rake home the points they need to clinch.

Or just get a solidt cheking line together, and have the remaining three lines wreak havoc like they did this year.

This Free Agency exuberance will die down.

Take a look at Toronto: They sign McCabe, Gill, Kaberle, and Kubina for a total of $17 mil

And they still have Mats Sundin at 7.6 mil

My Catholic Math says they have 18-19 million left for the 20 other players.

Likewise - Boston signs Chara and Savard so their top 4 make Chara 7.5mil Murray 4.1 mil

Zhamnov 4.1 mil, Savard 4 mil for a total of 19.75 mil on 4 players. They have just over 24 million left for the rest of the team!

These teams have boxed themselves in early. Their shopping is done and they decided that big names are more important than depth.

Funny. Was nobody watching last season?

My point was that these early singings have set the market for top players, and when out players become UFA, they will test the markets abnd get big money we can't match. As always, developing young talent will be our salvation or downfall. We will lose our top players. At $3.5 million for Drury he is a deal this season.

Zhamnov is injured and probably won't play at all next season. He won't count against the cap.

If McKee is worth 4, then yes Drury would have hit the jack pot. It's going to be hard holding this team together. Gotta hope that the young players just keep coming and letting the vets go as they hit UFA

This seems to be a year where teams are overpaying for defensemen. If Drury was a free agent this year, he would command no more than 3.5-4 mil per year(similar to Arnott). There is no way Drury would ever get 6 mil per year.

Drury is a above average forward who scored 37 of his 67 points in the PP this year. He is nowhere near the "superstar pay him at any cost" player that some make him out to be on this board.

This seems to be a year where teams are overpaying for defensemen. If Drury was a free agent this year, he would command no more than 3.5-4 mil per year(similar to Arnott). There is no way Drury would ever get 6 mil per year.

Drury is a above average forward who scored 37 of his 67 points in the PP this year. He is nowhere near the "superstar pay him at any cost" player that some make him out to be on this board.

It isn't over yet, I believe a few big name forawrds are out there. Anyway, when Drury dodes hit the market, it might be the forwards who are getting the big money. And yes, Drury does get a lot of goals on the PP, but he also kills penalities and plays against the oppositions top line. Someone would shell out 6 million for a guy of his talent

Well...I think the comparison with Arnott is a good one, and I think Drury probably would've been closer to the $4.5 million per year that Arnott got than to $6 million. However, IMHO, Drury is much more than an "above average forward". He's clutch, a leader, and a blood-and-guts type player.

I can see Briere, on the other hand, getting $6 million, esp. if he has a 90-point year next year.

Well...I think the comparison with Arnott is a good one, and I think Drury probably would've been closer to the $4.5 million per year that Arnott got than to $6 million. However, IMHO, Drury is much more than an "above average forward". He's clutch, a leader, and a blood-and-guts type player.

I can see Briere, on the other hand, getting $6 million, esp. if he has a 90-point year next year.

I think I'm being fair saying that Drury is "above average". He certainly is not in the "superstar" class and PK and defensive players are not that hard to find. If I had to start this franchise around one player, it wouldn't be Drury.

I think I'm being fair saying that Drury is "above average". He certainly is not in the "superstar" class and PK and defensive players are not that hard to find. If I had to start this franchise around one player, it wouldn't be Drury.

Ya, $6 million is too high, I was wrong.

I agree that he's not a superstar, but how about "really good to borderline star" instead of "above average"? He did have 30 goals, so he's not just a PK/defensive player like Grier.

And, just for the sake of argument, I think if you had to pick one guy that the team as it stands now was built around -- it was Drury. And if you were starting over and looking at this roster -- Drury would be at the top of the list or pretty close (of course if you wanted to take Miller I couldn't argue with that).

Go Sabres.

Lets face it, he is going to be a UFA next year and will not be back, he will be on of the guys that gets the big deal from some team on the first day next year, and Buffalo will not be able to afford him. That is also why Briere will need to be signed long term (which if you go by Dave B's arguement that players only sign before the FA deadline if they are given huge offers, the Sabres will probably only be able to get him signed this year at his qualifying offer and he will be gone to cash in on the big bucks (probably close to 6 mil a season) next season

Lets face it, he is going to be a UFA next year and will not be back, he will be on of the guys that gets the big deal from some team on the first day next year, and Buffalo will not be able to afford him. That is also why Briere will need to be signed long term (which if you go by Dave B's arguement that players only sign before the FA deadline if they are given huge offers, the Sabres will probably only be able to get him signed this year at his qualifying offer and he will be gone to cash in on the big bucks (probably close to 6 mil a season) next season

The argument was specifically referring to players that have achieved UFA status.

For a player that still has 1 or more years to go to reach UFA status, the team CAN get the player to sign a reasonable contract to forgo becoming an UFA because there is something in it for the player, namely financial security.

A player takes a risk turning down a long term offer hoping to strike in rich in a season or 2, because if he gets injured there is no guarantee that he will get paid beyond the life of his current contract. By signing a long term deal, the player is guaranteed getting at least 2/3 of the money (and all of the current season's $'s and the next one's as well, if he is released due to a hockey related injury). This can be a big attraction to a player.

Hypothetically, let's say the Sabres offer Briere $4MM/year over 4 years. Since we know Briere would not get released the season he signed that deal, he is guaranteed to collect at least $12MM if the Sabres release him. If he turns that down, he can sign his qualifying offer, which is likely slightly less than $2MM. By taking his chances on becoming an UFA, if he suffers a career ending injury he would be out $10MM. That is a lot of money to forego on a risk that he will stay healthy.

Could he end up getting more money in the long run by taking the qualifying offer? Very possibly yes. Could he also end up rolling snake eyes? That is also possible (much less likely, but possible nonetheless). That uncertainty is what allows teams to get players to sign reasonable contracts prior to becoming UFA's.

I just don't understand what was the whole point of that strike by the owners???

It seems like many of them got what they wanted but now are going back to their old ways.

They bitched about the amount of $$$ spent on players and all and now at the start of the 1st real FA since the strike so many players are getting way over paid.

I'm sorry, but hockey is just effed up.

Archived