Carney would have been a perfect replacement for McKee

LabattBlue

No. of course not. It is never wise to pay up for good players in free agency. Darcy knows what he is doing. (sarcasm off) :D

Just wait out this first swarm of free agents, and then we will see Buffalo make some budget friendly signings. I expected this and it's the right thing to do for our situation. I, for one, will be happy that we are retaining all of our RFA's over the alternative of breaking the bank for McKee or any big name free agent.

Just wait out this first swarm of free agents, and then we will see Buffalo make some budget friendly signings. I expected this and it's the right thing to do for our situation. I, for one, will be happy that we are retaining all of our RFA's over the alternative of breaking the bank for McKee or any big name free agent.

Yeah...I'm really happy we qualified Peters and Jillson. <_<

Not that I want to go out and sign a "big" free agent, just bring in a veteran presence to replace the ones you lose. We'll see how it plays out. ;)

Over the hill because he is 36? I guess that makes Teppo over the hill too. <_<

teppo and carney play two different styles of hockey. teppo could probably play another year or two as he isn't as physical and can handle the puck really well. carney, while a decent defensive dman, can't do much with the puck, and his physical play isn't what it used to be. if he can't play physical, then what good is he?

Over the hill because he is 36? I guess that makes Teppo over the hill too. <_<

Carney on his best day could never equal Teppo on his worst.

2 years $4.2 for a player who wasn't that good when he was in his prime?

I'd rather see some kids from the ROC get a chance before they throw money away on Carney.

Salei is the Sabres guy. Hopefully things fall in to place and he lands with the Sabres. ;)

Carney on his best day could never equal Teppo on his worst.

2 years $4.2 for a player who wasn't that good when he was in his prime?

I'd rather see some kids from the ROC get a chance before they throw money away on Carney.

Salei is the Sabres guy. Hopefully things fall in to place and he lands with the Sabres. ;)

If you'd rather have Paetsch or Jillson in the lineup instead of Carney, you better be ready for mediocrity on the blue line.

If you'd rather have Paetsch or Jillson in the lineup instead of Carney, you better be ready for mediocrity on the blue line.

What has Carney done in his career?

Anyway. We're talking about filling in the bottom of the defensive depth chart. A perfect spot to slip in Michael Funk. I'm sure Regier will prefer to see him in the ROC for a season. But who knows. He might be able to make a quicker jump.

What has Carney done in his career?

Anyway. We're talking about filling in the bottom of the defensive depth chart. A perfect spot to slip in Michael Funk. I'm sure Regier will prefer to see him in the ROC for a season. But who knows. He might be able to make a quicker jump.

You are completely overboard with confidence that players who have never set foot in an NHL rink can step in and play a full-time role. First Paetsch and now Funk who hasn't even played an AHL game.

I would love to see the youngsters step up and play on the blue line, but it's a long shot and something I'm not really anxious to see on a team that will hopefully make another run at the cup.

PS Carney has had a solid career as a defensive defenseman. You don't last in the NHL for as long as he has, if you can't play the game.

You are completely overboard with confidence that players who have never set foot in an NHL rink can step in and play a full-time role. First Paetsch and now Funk who hasn't even played an AHL game.

I would love to see the youngsters step up and play on the blue line, but it's a long shot and something I'm not really anxious to see on a team that will hopefully make another run at the cup.

PS Carney has had a solid career as a defensive defenseman. You don't last in the NHL for as long as he has, if you can't play the game.

Exactly! We have become so use to young players stepping in and doing well that we are beginning to expect it now. Remember 15 years ago when the Sabres hadn't had a draft pick score thirty goals in a season in forever, aside from Audette? These things come and go. Hopefully the talent will keep bubbling up but who knows. Heck, Pominville was so well regarded we waved him last season! That's how inperfect the science of player development is

I thought Paetsch showed quite a bit of potential. I wouldn't mind seeing him get Rory's slot as the #7 defenseman. I didn't think much of Jillson or Janik.

Please. The league is full journeymen defensemen. Carney is a dime a dozen and certainly not $2 million better then the guys in ROC.

Maybe instead of being worried about what the Sabres don't have. You should take a good look at what they do have. Paetsch, Jilson and the rest of the M*A*S*H* unit played a pretty solid game game against a 100% healthy Canes team. They have some pretty solid looking blueliners coming through the organIzation and there are still plenty of defensemen available in FA.

I know it goes against the nature of Sabre fans. But it is OK to enjoy last season and to be excited about the upcoming season.

Please. The league is full journeymen defensemen. Carney is a dime a dozen and certainly not $2 million better then the guys in ROC.

Maybe instead of being worried about what the Sabres don't have. You should take a good look at what they do have. Paetsch, Jilson and the rest of the M*A*S*H* unit played a pretty solid game game against a 100% healthy Canes team. They have some pretty solid looking blueliners coming through the organIzation and there are still plenty of defensemen available in FA.

I know it goes against the nature of Sabre fans. But it is OK to enjoy last season and to be excited about the upcoming season.

I enjoyed last season immensely, but if you want to put all your eggs in the basket of a couple of d-men based on one or two games they played in the NHL, that's a big gamble.

FWIW...Jillson is a piece of crap and has shown nothing since the Sabres acquired him.

Archived