Biron receives qualifer - DEMANDS trade!

phSabres84

What spin?...sounds like a demand to me. Let see. "a fast as possible", "Darcy is trying thats what is important", "I just hope to be a starter somewhere.". Not things that are said by someone hell bent on staying where he is! Sweet coat it anyway you want, but DEMAND is accurate....

And then there is this...

Buffalo News Article

I think Mike Peca and Dom Hasek showed Sabres fans what demanding a trade looks like. Marty is doing everything he can to encourage Darcy to move faster, but Darcy ain't gonna make a move that's going to hurt the team or their plan.

Seems like right now, most teams with a goaltending need are waiting until July 1st to see who they can pick up without giving up an asset. In an interview at the draft, Ducks GM Brian Burke mentioned the same thing - even though he has Bryzgalov and Giguere, he says he hadn't gotten a lot of inquiries leading up to the draft. He felt the same thing - other teams want to sign FA goalies if possible so they don't have to give up anyone off their roster.

Personally, I'm concerned that Marty (and the fans) are overestimating Marty's market value. He has zero career playoff wins and although he had a good year this year in a pressure-free backup role, this was preceded by THREE years in which he was given countless opportunities to prove himself as an NHL starter and failed to do so each time.

When you compare his record to those of the other goalies who will be available (like the 2 on the ducks), suddenly it's hard to see teams busting down our door for him. On the other hand, all of the publicity we got this year, which is going to hurt us in McKee's situation, may help us out here -- ie at least one GM is going to be seduced into overpaying.

I like Marty and I'll be sad to see him go. At $800K or so I'd love to keep him as a backup. At $2.2 million he's an albatross. If we get a top 4 defenseman for him it's a great trade. I think it's more likely we get a draft pick and/or prospect.

Way to spin that story. Going overboard in the title and saying "DEMANDS" was a nice touch. It's all in the CAPS. :rolleyes:

Don't you know the main objective os some who post on message board is to the the FIRST one to post it and to create the drama???

TSN Article

Marty receives qualifying offer - demands to be traded

"We would like for him to be traded as fast as possible," Biron's agent, Gilles Lupien said Monday.

I have to think that 'drama' was intended to lure everyone in to the thread by using 'DEMANDS.' Marty has been nothing but a class act through the entire season. He stood ready and never whined about being backup. He knows his roll here and wants to play, nothing more nothing less. Can't blame him, and if you're surprised then you haven't been paying attention :) If this is 'demanding' a trade what was Peca and Hasek? Give Marty some credit, of course he wants to be playing, but the way he has gone about it is first class!

Of course he is demanding a trade cause he wants to be a starter somewhere and it isn't going to happen in Buffalo unless Miller asks for more then Drury, then Darcy will Magically get us a cheaper but just as good alternative.

Biron may not have "DEMANDED" a trade, but he definitly asked for it and is expecting a deal to get done as soon as possible. He deserves atleast that considering how proffesional he was when he was riding the pine with Miller playing, he could have demanded a trade at the dealine this year but instead decided to just accept his role and wait til it would have the least effect on team chemistry.

There are a bunch of teams now interested in him and it shouldn't be a problem trying to unload him, but it probably won't come until GM's have a look at the FA alternatives first. Eitherway, I can't see more then a couple draft picks, since Darcy will have to restock Rochestor after he raids them for Buffalos lineup this year.

Biron "asked" for a trade, not "demanded". With that said, he's a professional... He's definitly taking the high road right now, when the low road is the easier pick. All signs lead to him being traded. It's just a matter of when, what team, and what's the return... If he lasts with the sabres till the start of next season, he'll keep his mouth shut and become the ultimate Buffalo Sabre again. Martin Biron is the man, partially for his play, and mostly for his attitude. He suffered through complete crap seasons, complete crap results, and being benched for a better player, yet he still has a good attitude. He did not demand a trade folks... Selfish pro athetes should take notice. Biron may not be an all-star goalie, but he's an all-star professional.

I don't believe sentiment ever enters into a transaction at this level. Some people thought we should have traded Noronen to reward him for being the good soldier, to give him a shot to play. Nonsense. Darcy will not trade Marty Biron so he can have a shot at starting somewhere -- he will trade him if and only if he gets good value in return and already has his backup on the roster. And we all know what that means. When the new sweaters come out, Biron fans should not be shy about getting one with B I R O N across the back.

I don't believe sentiment ever enters into a transaction at this level. Some people thought we should have traded Noronen to reward him for being the good soldier, to give him a shot to play. Nonsense. Darcy will not trade Marty Biron so he can have a shot at starting somewhere -- he will trade him if and only if he gets good value in return and already has his backup on the roster. And we all know what that means. When the new sweaters come out, Biron fans should not be shy about getting one with B I R O N across the back.

No doubt. Regier's willingness to hold out for the right deal is legendary. Besides it's beginning to look like there might be a goalie glut developing. If Biron's salary doesn't muck up the other contract negotiations (who's going to accept less than the backup goalie?), Regier could hold onto Marty until the trading deadline.

I don't think that Marty is going to be willing to sit through another full or partial season as the Sabres Backup, I have a feeling he will makeRegier trade him. He has done his part for the team by sitting through this last season, I don't see him saying to Darcy "Oh, you couldn't get the deal you liked? thats alright, I'll continue to cheer the team from the bench and stay behind Miller" he will force a trade somewhere or not sign the qualifying offer

I don't think that Marty is going to be willing to sit through another full or partial season as the Sabres Backup, I have a feeling he will makeRegier trade him. He has done his part for the team by sitting through this last season, I don't see him saying to Darcy "Oh, you couldn't get the deal you liked? thats alright, I'll continue to cheer the team from the bench and stay behind Miller" he will force a trade somewhere or not sign the qualifying offer

His agent says Biron will sign the offer, earning $2 million for sitting behind Miller, which is borderline starter money. I doubt he'll cause much trouble if a trade is not arranged. He'll probably start around 30 - 35 games, in part to showcase him for the trade deadline and to spell Miller, and will be a UFA next year. So even though he's talking about a trade now, it's doubtful that he'll cause much trouble on the bench.

His agent says Biron will sign the offer, earning $2 million for sitting behind Miller, which is borderline starter money. I doubt he'll cause much trouble if a trade is not arranged. He'll probably start around 30 - 35 games, in part to showcase him for the trade deadline and to spell Miller, and will be a UFA next year. So even though he's talking about a trade now, it's doubtful that he'll cause much trouble on the bench.

He'll start 30-35 games just so the Sabres can Showcase him in a trade?

So is that what the seasons are going to become for the Sabres, One giant showcase of whats for Sale in the League?

I think they will only sign the offer so that he can practice and stay relatively game ready should a trade get made into the season. Darcy will probably wait til its too late and end up trading Biron away after he has already signed his first UFA contract for someone else :rolleyes:

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Goaltender Martin Biron received the Buffalo Sabres one-year qualifying offer and expects to sign it but only in hopes the team grants his wish to be traded.

"We would like for him to be traded as fast as possible," Biron's agent, Gilles Lupien said Monday.

Now that is a DEMANDING statement.

He'll start 30-35 games just so the Sabres can Showcase him in a trade?

So is that what the seasons are going to become for the Sabres, One giant showcase of whats for Sale in the League?

I think they will only sign the offer so that he can practice and stay relatively game ready should a trade get made into the season. Darcy will probably wait til its too late and end up trading Biron away after he has already signed his first UFA contract for someone else :rolleyes:

My statement was to showcase him for a trade AND spell Miller. And yes, in this case, Biron is in a giant showcase for what's on sale.

The point is, if Regier doesn't receive value for Biron, he's not going to trade him. There is going to be a goalie glut in the market. I'd rather the Sabres use Biron for the next season and then lose him as a UFA than to trade him away now for a player the caliber of Fitzpatrick or Jillson, and then fill the backup goalie spot with Sean Burke.

The point is, if Regier doesn't receive value for Biron, he's not going to trade him. There is going to be a goalie glut in the market. I'd rather the Sabres use Biron for the next season and then lose him as a UFA than to trade him away now for a player the caliber of Fitzpatrick or Jillson, and then fill the backup goalie spot with Sean Burke.

That theory works grea in Fantasy hockey, but in the NHL, it isn't always going to work.

Biron is a hockey player who believes he can be a starter in the league, I doubt after asking to be traded cause he and everyone else knows he won't be the starter in Buffalo, he is just going to sit back and wait for Darcy to make the perfect deal cause as much as having to settle for a little less hurts Darcy and the Sabres, playing Backup and rifding the bench is hurting Biron. He has been very proffesional recently about this, the respectful thing for Darcy to do is to make the deal to accomodate Marty ASAP.

And as another point, if Marty signs the qualifying offer and stays as a backup until Darcy finds the Perfect Deal, who says he will be able to find one by the deadline? Whats to say he will get a better deal during the season or at the deadline for a goalie who has been riding the bench all year and will be a UFA by the end of the year? You can't always sit back and wait for the perfect deal to fall in your lap, sometimes you may have to settle for something a little less

That theory works grea in Fantasy hockey, but in the NHL, it isn't always going to work.

Biron is a hockey player who believes he can be a starter in the league, I doubt after asking to be traded cause he and everyone else knows he won't be the starter in Buffalo, he is just going to sit back and wait for Darcy to make the perfect deal cause as much as having to settle for a little less hurts Darcy and the Sabres, playing Backup and rifding the bench is hurting Biron. He has been very proffesional recently about this, the respectful thing for Darcy to do is to make the deal to accomodate Marty ASAP.

And as another point, if Marty signs the qualifying offer and stays as a backup until Darcy finds the Perfect Deal, who says he will be able to find one by the deadline? Whats to say he will get a better deal during the season or at the deadline for a goalie who has been riding the bench all year and will be a UFA by the end of the year? You can't always sit back and wait for the perfect deal to fall in your lap, sometimes you may have to settle for something a little less

Completely disagree. The Sabres drafted Biron, stood behind him during many of his struggles, and paid him a generous salary.

Under league rules, he is a RFA, and an asset of the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabres are completely within thier rights to wait out a deal for him, and what's more, they owe it to their season ticket holders and fans to make the best deal possible for the club.

For his part, Biron is among the highest paid backups in the league making $2 million a year, will get a fair number of starts, and has a shot to put his name on the Cup with a good team. And next year he will be a UFA. As strident as Marty might appear now, he would return to the club. He gains nothing by pulling a Peca (whose dispute was over money, not playing time).

I like Marty and would like nothing more to see him as a starter again, but if Regier decides that he can't return good value for the club's investment in Biron because the market is cluttered with guys like Gerber, Nabokov, Legacy, Giguere, Arbasher, and Grahme, then he's well within the rights granted by the CBA to use Biron's services this year.

That's the reality. As Lindy says, it's about the crest on the front of the sweater, not the name on the back.

Keep in mind here that Marty wanted to stay on after the trade deadline in the past season.

The qualifying offer is more than fair.

I think the truth is that Marty is probably not a #1 goaltender for most teams in the league.

He is exactly what he is now, a serviceable and amiable back-up that does not disrupt a

team and someone that is good for 30 starts a year.

But this isn't about money. It is about Marty getting his shot. But it seems obvious to me

that nobody is really beating the doors down for him yet. An injury could still change everything.

But Darcy will sit on this until the deal is right.

Seems like right now, most teams with a goaltending need are waiting until July 1st to see who they can pick up without giving up an asset. In an interview at the draft, Ducks GM Brian Burke mentioned the same thing - even though he has Bryzgalov and Giguere, he says he hadn't gotten a lot of inquiries leading up to the draft. He felt the same thing - other teams want to sign FA goalies if possible so they don't have to give up anyone off their roster.

I posted that earlier in the thread - aside from the Luongo deal, I still think most teams are waiting to see what happens July 1, when the UFAs hit the market.

I think the truth is that Marty is probably not a #1 goaltender for most teams in the league.

He is exactly what he is now, a serviceable and amiable back-up that does not disrupt a

team and someone that is good for 30 starts a year.

I think Marty is more of a 'tweener - a 1A kind of goalie, who could play 40-50 games, but probably shouldn't be counted on as your no. 1, go-to guy. I see him as a huge part of a two-headed monster goalie tandem, maybe with a Dan Cloutier-type keeper.

Under league rules, he is a RFA, and an asset of the Buffalo Sabres. The Sabres are completely within thier rights to wait out a deal for him, and what's more, they owe it to their season ticket holders and fans to make the best deal possible for the club.

Completely agree, but here is where Regier earns his salary - Darcy has to toe the line between being loyal & responsible to the fans & season-ticket holders AND being loyal to & taking care of the players in the organ EYE zation. If he says "sorry Marty, you're gonna stay with us until I find THE deal I am looking for" and sits on Marty until the last possible moment, he runs the risk of alienating other players in the locker room, and damaging the teams' image in the eyes of other players in the league.

Archived