The Beebe picture

shrader

I was having a conversation on another board about Don Beebe and I brought up the play where he landed on his head. These people aren't Bills fans, so they've never seen it. Does anyone know where I can find that picture? It doesn't come up in a google search. I remember a few years back the Burger King near the McKinley mall used to have a giant framed version of that picture on the wall. I could walk in there and just stare at that thing all day.

Someone must have a link.

Did you do a google image search or just a plain old google search?

Wasn't that play in Houston the week before the comeback game?

Do you remember the Monday night game when James Lofton went out of bounds and came back in with a defender on his back -- literally? He ran about 10 yards onto the field with the guy taking a ride on his shoulders. Probably the funniest thing I ever saw in sports -- until the ref reached down Cam Ward's pants to retrieve that puck.

Do you remember the Monday night game when James Lofton went out of bounds and came back in with a defender on his back -- literally? He ran about 10 yards onto the field with the guy taking a ride on his shoulders. Probably the funniest thing I ever saw in sports -- until the ref reached down Cam Ward's pants to retrieve that puck.

Nope. Cleveland in '89. It was the Ronnie Harmon drop in the endzone game.

The thing about that play that still gets me is, Beebe should have been downed by contact as soon as his head hit. If they don't give him that, the Brown caught the ball after it bounced out of Beebe's hands before it hit the ground, so then it should have been an INT. The refs called neither. They called it an incomplete pass. How in the world is a play where the ball NEVER touches the ground incomplete?

I was having a conversation on another board about Don Beebe and I brought up the play where he landed on his head. These people aren't Bills fans, so they've never seen it. Does anyone know where I can find that picture? It doesn't come up in a google search. I remember a few years back the Burger King near the McKinley mall used to have a giant framed version of that picture on the wall. I could walk in there and just stare at that thing all day.

Someone must have a link.

That was taken in 1989 during the playoff game in Cleveland. I'll look around...

OK, I'll take another swing, almost certain to go down in the count 0-2. In that Houston game to end the regular season, wasn't Beebe hurt? And they didn't think he would play the next week, but he did, in the Comeback Game. And Kelly was also hurt, I think. Or did I just strike out? Good thing I don't do TDIBH.

Speaking of Harmon's drop. I always thought he got a bad deal, was made into somewhat of a scapegoat. That was no easy catch.

I'm embarrassed to have spent countless hours in your IM presence. Cleveland 1989 as the others have said. How can u screw that one up? ;)

That last game of the 1992 season Kelly was out. For some reason I'm remembering Cody Carlson starting for the Oil in that game. I know in the comeback game, Bennett, Kelly and Thurman (who left early) didnt' play.

I'm embarrassed to have spent countless hours in your IM presence. Cleveland 1989 as the others have said. How can u screw that one up? ;)

That last game of the 1992 season Kelly was out. For some reason I'm remembering Cody Carlson starting for the Oil in that game. I know in the comeback game, Bennett, Kelly and Thurman (who left early) didnt' play.

Incorrect.

KElly hurt his knee DURING the finale of the 1992 season in houston on sunday night football. If the bills had won that game, they'd have won the AFC east. I cannot remember if they'd have also received a 1st round bye. However, they were blown out 30-3 or something on that scale. Reich looked HORRIBLE, and this game was the game where everyone said "its over guys". Sorta like how we felt after game 2 of the ECF, except instlaed of only tallinder getting hurt, you had miller go down too and biron coming in to let in 9 goals. Also, it was reed who was the victim of the piggyback play.

Thurman played for the first quarter at least of the comeback game, maybe the entire first half, but none in the 2nd half.

After that game, reich and the bills went to pittsburgh and SHUT OUT their offense 23-3. The steelers were the annointed champions that year, and that blowout was almost as impressive as the comeback game.

Onto the harmon game, i had forgotten the ruling on the field for beebe, but i do recall that he came back after halftime to receive kickoffs or punts. That was pretty remarkable. Beebe was a warrior... One of the few times i was happy for a post-buffalo-career championship (unlike hasek, RICHARD SMEHLIK, etc.) As for the drop, "easy catch" is pretty subjective, but in all estimation, that was an easy catch. I recall some gambling issues that harmon had, specifically with throwing games. He might have been investigated for throwing a game in college. It's definitly not out of the realm...

I think we're all losing it, except Dave. Corp, that was definitely James Lofton who gave the defensive back a piggyback ride during a nationally televised night game in Buffalo. I remember the big smile on his face while he was doing it. Don't fight me on this one! I still say Beebe was hurt in that Houston game. Someone got laid out going across the middle. Or something.

I think we're all losing it, except Dave. Corp, that was definitely James Lofton who gave the defensive back a piggyback ride during a nationally televised night game in Buffalo. I remember the big smile on his face while he was doing it. Don't fight me on this one! I still say Beebe was hurt in that Houston game. Someone got laid out going across the middle. Or something.

I can give Frank Reich a call and ask if he knows. He and Beebe are still pretty tight.

Ok pa, you've twisted my arm... Now i'm forced to watch my self created DVD featuring the comeback game, the mayday goal, and the sabres fan appreciation video. I'll have some hard evidence later! I could have sworn that it was reed who gave the piggyback.

As for the beebe injury, i don't know. i can't remember him getting laid out. I do remember the ref's eyes were injured on his TD run though, since he clearly stepped out of bounds. Buffalo Conspiracy theorists should look at that evidence.

The Lofton Ride didn't occur in the comeback game. It was a nationally televised night game at home during the regular season.

You are right! If not for a major officiating error, we probably never would have come back and beaten the Oilers that day.

I was having a conversation on another board about Don Beebe and I brought up the play where he landed on his head...

I thought he landed on his head at the end of every play. :rolleyes: At least, it seemed that way. Anyhow, that will be my lasting memory of the 90's Bills, Beebe getting throttled every time he touched the ball. :(

Onto the harmon game, i had forgotten the ruling on the field for beebe, but i do recall that he came back after halftime to receive kickoffs or punts. That was pretty remarkable. Beebe was a warrior... One of the few times i was happy for a post-buffalo-career championship (unlike hasek, RICHARD SMEHLIK, etc.) As for the drop, "easy catch" is pretty subjective, but in all estimation, that was an easy catch. I recall some gambling issues that harmon had, specifically with throwing games. He might have been investigated for throwing a game in college. It's definitly not out of the realm...

Corp - not knowing much about Harmon's pre-Buffalo days, I did a quick search on Google and came up with this from HBO's real sports. Apparently Harmon's agent was tied in with the mob, and the head mobster - Michael Franzese - suggesting he threw at least one game, the 1985 Rose Bowl vs. UCLA.

"Apparently, using an agent who normally represented singers, the mob coaxed a number of players -- including former Iowa Hawkeye and San Diego Charger Ronnie Harmon -- to sign with them before the end of the college season. The contracts would be post-dated, and then forwarded to the NFL once the college bowl games were completed on January 1st. As many as a dozen first round picks were locked up in this manner. And when other agents got in the way, Franzese sent one of his thugs to convince them to back off.

In exchange, these potential draft picks were given tens of thousands of dollars -- $50,000 in Harmon's case. It gets worse. At the 1985 Rose Bowl, Iowa was heavily favored going into the game against UCLA. Harmon, who had only fumbled once during the regular season, fumbled four times and dropped a sure touchdown pass as UCLA rolled to a victory.

While Franzese wouldn't say it on camera, he strongly suggested that Harmon had thrown the game for his friends in the mob."

Link: http://www.ericmcerlain.com/offwingopinion...ives/000901.php

Ok pa, you've twisted my arm... Now i'm forced to watch my self created DVD featuring the comeback game, the mayday goal, and the sabres fan appreciation video. I'll have some hard evidence later! I could have sworn that it was reed who gave the piggyback.

As for the beebe injury, i don't know. i can't remember him getting laid out. I do remember the ref's eyes were injured on his TD run though, since he clearly stepped out of bounds. Buffalo Conspiracy theorists should look at that evidence.

If my memory of things that don't really matter serves me well, I believe it was Lofton who gave the piggyback, and Chris Dishman who received it.

I lived in Cleveland at the time of the Harmon drop. That game was a great game. Definitely the game that Beebe bounced on his head. Should've been an interception in my book. We got a break.

Archived