Miller's Back-up Next Year

frisky

I think we've talked about this one earlier but now that the season is over and we've gone from having too many goalies to maybe not enough...who should back-up Miller? So far, it would appear that they are going to trade Marty at some point to save the cash.

On hand, our choices seem to be Leighton, Pelletier in Rochester, Adam Dennis (unsigned still?), and that's it. I'm not sure if Leighton or Pelletier would be decent back-ups. I remember we traded for Leighton earlier and it was mentioned that he could end up being the back-up after Noranen and Biron were gone. I don't know anything at all about Pelletier. Adam Dennis was OHL goalie of the year but I remember last time we hadn't signed him yet and he's still would be a rookie (3-4 years down the road would be more realistic).

Even if we drafted a goalie, I don't think he would be the No. 2 guy this year. So I would think that the only option after promotion would be to trade for someone...or sign a cheap, veteren UFA (I haven't checked who's out there and what their price tags are)?

Or, as unlikely as it seems, would they keep Marty to be No. 2? Almost seems like you need two goalies nowadays (like two QB's).

I'd like to keep Marty, but would he want to stay in that role? I like the idea of not only having a proven veteran backup, but someone like Biron who has been the ultimate team player. Don't want to mess with that old chemistry, right? So Miller wouldn't make as much as the backup, although he would be getting close. Tough. Marty earned it. And the situation would serve as more motivation for Miller. It will be, after all, just his second season. Alas, the Sabres don't listen to me. I'm sure Marty will be gone -- and I'm sure I'm about to get lectured about how tough a hit on Golisano's poor wallet keeping Biron would be.

Pelletier isn't our property - pretty sure he belongs to the Florida Panthers. Kind of confusing now that Rochester has a split affiliation.

Leighton is someone we picked up from Chicago Blackhawks for Bartovic.

Looks like he played in 40 games for the Amerks with a 15 & 22 record versus Pelletier playing 39 games with a 21 & 15 record.

Personally, I think we need to find a decent veteran to back up Miller who can go at least .500 (no Sideshow Bob debacles please). Should be some of those out there in the 500k salary range.

I'd like to keep Marty, but would he want to stay in that role? I like the idea of not only having a proven veteran backup, but someone like Biron who has been the ultimate team player. Don't want to mess with that old chemistry, right? So Miller wouldn't make as much as the backup, although he would be getting close. Tough. Marty earned it. And the situation would serve as more motivation for Miller. It will be, after all, just his second season. Alas, the Sabres don't listen to me. I'm sure Marty will be gone -- and I'm sure I'm about to get lectured about how tough a hit on Golisano's poor wallet keeping Biron would be.

Wouldn't the money for his salary be more beneficial to the team in other areas?

Keeping marty is obviously the best bet. However, for that to happen, he'd have to either take a pay cut, or keep his salary but spread it out across more years (the latter being the more likely choice). He's definitely a team guy, and he's kept his mouth shut this year about being a #1 guy. However, he did have a pretty nasty holdout a few years ago, so its not out of the realm of possibilities that he'd ask management for a trade. I'd really love biron to spread his contract over a longer period of time. It would keep him here for the remainder of his career, at the expense of a few dollars though. He lives in clarence, he has a clarence wife, he has clarence children, why not just stay there? Well, money talks, so i think he's as good as gone, even if i am holding out hope for him to stay. With that being said, you have to promote the young guy from rochester and develop him into a solid #2. We cannot afford to bring in a bob essensa type guy... If i recall, the season we had that clown, the sabres were well short of the playoffs. If i remember, then we had a huge run at the end. take away bobby seven's losses, and we'd have been in the playoffs. I do not think the sabres can afford to take a chance on an UFA has been or journeyman. Best bet, after biron, is to promote from within...

Wouldn't the money for his salary be more beneficial to the team in other areas?

OK. We trade Marty. We sign Ron Tugnutt for half a million. There's no one on the farm. Miller goes down late in the season. Tugnutt struggles/pulls a groin. Will your question make any sense next May?

The goaltending position is just too important to mess with like that. And Darcy knows that. And even with my admittedly premature criticism of Golisano, he knows that. I believe the Sabres will either have Marty as backup or a pretty good UFA, who's also going to cost you a lot. Better the devil you know...

OK. We trade Marty. We sign Ron Tugnutt for half a million. There's no one on the farm. Miller goes down late in the season. Tugnutt struggles/pulls a groin. Will your question make any sense next May?

The goaltending position is just too important to mess with like that. And Darcy knows that. And even with my admittedly premature criticism of Golisano, he knows that. I believe the Sabres will either have Marty as backup or a pretty good UFA, who's also going to cost you a lot. Better the devil you know...

And what if we keep Marty, Miller goes down late in the season and Marty pulls his groin? Seems to me that would leave us in exactly the same position. Not to take anything away from Marty I think he did a great job in his role this year, but if money is going to be tight for this team, $2 million is a lot for a backup.

And what if we keep Marty, Miller goes down late in the season and Marty pulls his groin? Seems to me that would leave us in exactly the same position. Not to take anything away from Marty I think he did a great job in his role this year, but if money is going to be tight for this team, $2 million is a lot for a backup.

I agree. If the Sabres were going to spend to the salary cap limit(44 million) by all means bring Marty back for 2+ per season, but considering the Sabres are going to spend somewhere around 30-33, Marty has to go and they need to find a replacement for 800,000 to 1.1 million.

Since the Sabres will not have any issues staying under the cap, I say keep Biron unless an offer comes along that cannot be refused...meaning a very good defenseman who can contribute at a high level for the Sabres for the next 3-5 years....why rush in dealing Marty when the market for goalies is so high???

Since the Sabres will not have any issues staying under the cap, I say keep Biron unless an offer comes along that cannot be refused...meaning a very good defenseman who can contribute at a high level for the Sabres for the next 3-5 years....why rush in dealing Marty when the market for goalies is so high???

I don't want to come across as someone who knows more than an NHL GM, but with Marty being one year away from being a UFA, there is no way you are going to get a "very good" defenseman in exchange for him straight up. Also, the issue isn't how far under the cap the Sabres are, it's how much is there salary budget for 06-07 which will probably be somewhere around 33-34 million(10 million less than the 06-07 cap).

I don't want to come across as someone who knows more than an NHL GM, but with Marty being one year away from being a UFA, there is no way you are going to get a "very good" defenseman in exchange for him straight up. Also, the issue isn't how far under the cap the Sabres are, it's how much is there salary budget for 06-07 which will probably be somewhere around 33-34 million(10 million less than the 06-07 cap).

I guess that means you don't think Biron for Pronger is about to happen!

PS -No, I'm not drunk!

Pelletier isn't our property - pretty sure he belongs to the Florida Panthers. Kind of confusing now that Rochester has a split affiliation.

Leighton is someone we picked up from Chicago Blackhawks for Bartovic.

Looks like he played in 40 games for the Amerks with a 15 & 22 record versus Pelletier playing 39 games with a 21 & 15 record.

Personally, I think we need to find a decent veteran to back up Miller who can go at least .500 (no Sideshow Bob debacles please). Should be some of those out there in the 500k salary range.

Marty's a great guy but I can't see us keeping him around. As we might be able to get something for him now while we still have the chance, even if it turns out to be a 5th/6th Dman and or draft pick. In terms of Ryan's backup, the one name that stands out to me is Brent Johnson. As he made $525k for 05/06. To me he'd be a good veteran type to have behind Miller. Infact I think we showed some interest in him a few years back when was on waivers too.

For the most part I agree with you...but think about this too: Mika Noronen who was buried on the bench in Buffalo fetched us a 2nd round pick....I could imagine Biron, considering his age as well, can get a good amount more in return....Roloson cost the Oilers a 1st and a 3rd...and Rolly at the time was having a average year and was 36.

In terms of Ryan's backup, the one name that stands out to me is Brent Johnson. As he made $525k for 05/06. To me he'd be a good veteran type to have behind Miller. Infact I think we showed some interest in him a few years back when was on waivers too.

I hate the idea of keeping Marty, for two reasons - first, he has been the consumate team player & professional this year, especially after running off his record streak and then losing his job on Ryan's return, so I think we should give him a shot to be a no. 1 guy for another team ; and second, the cold, hard fact is that he is a valuable asset that we could use to continue to improve this team in both the immediate and long-term future. As for Johnson, I wouldn't have too much of an issue with him as Ryan's backup - I think he is perfect in that role, assuming we can sign him for a reasonable amount.

now that Luongo is in Vancouver, would it be too much of a stretch

to re-consider Noronen, when they trade Marty?

I liked Mika as Ryan's long-term backup before he was sent to Vancouver, but I think Vancouver is going to deal Cloutier and make Mika the backup to Luongo, so I think that takes us out of the running. Maybe playing more than once a month will be the lucky charm for Noronen...

We NEVER should have dealt Mika away. Biron has formally asked for a trade and now all we have is Miller as a number 1, if Marty is indeed traded.

Mika shouldn't have been the one dealt at the deadline, Marty should have been. Marty didn't play an ounce in the playoffs.

I certainly think Mika would have been just fine had Miller gone down in the playoffs. Hell, if Markannen can play well, Noronen could too.

Bad move by the club in that regard. Now instead of having 3 very good goalies, we'll only have 1. Not cool.

I just saw that the Sabres didn't qualify the Rochester goalie we traded for last September, Michael Leighton. That leaves us rather thin in Rochester I would think. Haven't heard anything on whether they've signed prospect Adam Dennis to fill the void or not. And I doubt they would bring in the new 2nd round Swedish goalie to the AHL just yet. I mention all of this because some people on this thread mentioned Leighton as a possible back up to Miller next season, which doesn't look very likely now.

I'm pretty sure Dennis is gonna be in the Roc next fall, I blieve he was signed a few weeks ago. There will be some decent goalies on the market, Dunham comes to mind. He had a bad year, but that means he could be had for pretty cheap. He was once a budding star in the league.

I wish Marty would read this....

Ok buddy let's switch places for a day, I will make what you make to sit on a bench and you can make what I make to take calls for dumb people

Yeah...

Thought so...

MARTIN BIRON JUST GOT PWN3D

Marty wants to be a Starter, you can't hate him for that. He's a Starting Quality goalie in the new NHL (where you don't have to hold people to 1 goal or less to win a game, the new standard is 2 goals)

We're better off trading him now and getting something than not trading him and getting nothing after he leaves next year.

Archived