Who would you rather keep...Dumont or Kotalik?

LabattBlue

If the Sabres are in a trading frame of mind, a forward or two are likely to go. I believe two of the most likely candidates would be Dumont and Kotalik. Dumont just turned 28 and Kotalik will be 28 later this year. My question is, who would you like to see traded and who should be signed to a 2 year contract?

I prefer to keep Dumont as I believe he is the more gifted offensive player, he is not afraid to hit and can even be an agitator at times. Kotalik has the better shot, but that seems to be the beginning and end to his game.

If the Sabres are in a trading frame of mind, a forward or two are likely to go. I believe two of the most likely candidates would be Dumont and Kotalik. Dumont just turned 28 and Kotalik will be 28 later this year. My question is, who would you like to see traded and who should be signed to a 2 year contract?

I prefer to keep Dumont as I believe he is the more gifted offensive player, he is not afraid to hit and can even be an agitator at times. Kotalik has the better shot, but that seems to be the beginning and end to his game.

If given the choice keep Dumont. He plays a much more complete game and is an irritating player that

gives any line he is on a little personality.

Kotalik may be good trade bait, he gives a team a sniper type shot that can open things up on the power play - and may return decent value.

It also should be noted that Kotalik made $900K last year, while Dumont made $1.6 million. It's reasonable to assume that Dumont will cost at least $500K more than Kotalik next year.

Dumont had a better regular season (given the time he missed with injury) and a better playoffs.

In a perfect world I would keep both, as I think they are about equal on offense and both play hard and physically. However, I agree that it's quite likely that one of these 2 will be gone (and I would throw Grier and Pyatt into the mix and say that 2 of the 4 will likely be gone).

I like all 4 of these guys quite a bit and so can't say that I'd like to unload any of them. If I have to make a prediction, it's that Grier goes and the rest of them stay. Bummer.

Like others have mentioned, both have their upsides, and i'd like to keep both of them... However, since the question was asked to pick between them, i'd keep dumont and unload kotalik. Both were streaky, and both were soft at times in the playoffs, but dumont is a better all around player than kotalik. Ales had that awesome point shot till about december... then he was either injured or figured out. Plus, his broken sticks were literally maddening for me. Dumont is also very frustrating as he takes a lot of time floating, and he's oft injured. When he's cold, he's miroslav satan. when he's hot, he's vaclav varada with talent. Dumont has way more plus than minus.

If it were between the two, I would keep Dumont. I think he adds a little more than Kotalik. Kotalik kinda reminds me of Paul Cyr sometimes. Booming shot...but hit the net!

God I hated Cyr. If the Sabres gave awards for hard shots that hit the glass - he would have most of them.

And lots of lazy penalties. That's what I remember.

Why are we choosing between Dumont and Kotalik again? Does Golisano's wife want another house in Tuscany?

Because sooner or later you have to make room for talented prospects(i.e. Stafford, Paille, Thorburn, etc...) who make less money. With the fixed budget the Sabres have, they can't afford to keep everyone and before guys like Kotalik or Dumont become UFA's, maybe it would be better to trade them for younger players at a position of need(defense) rather than letting them walk and get nothing in return.

Do you really believe the Sabres can sign all 20+ players from last years team and not make ANY changes? That is why I was wondering if you had the choice, which of these two forwards would you rather see go.

I think I'm going to swear off these "Pretend You're A General Manager" threads. I am humble enough to admit I don't know 10% of what is required to have an intelligent debate about building an NHL team. I'll just be a fan and say I want all of our best players back -- and certainly Dumont and Kotalik are among them -- and I want to get better.

I think I'm going to swear off these "Pretend You're A General Manager" threads. I am humble enough to admit I don't know 10% of what is required to have an intelligent debate about building an NHL team. I'll just be a fan and say I want all of our best players back -- and certainly Dumont and Kotalik are among them -- and I want to get better.

Holy crap....I'm just trying to discuss the positives and negatives of two players who may be on the trading block. I'm not pretending to know more than a general manager. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. <_<

I would like to have them back too, although Kotalik didn't impress me with his streakiness. I think he's got a great shot from the point, but if I remember right, a lot of teams were able to limit his effectiveness by cheating to his side on the PK.

I'll take the less popular position: IF--and that's a big IF--I were forced to choose, I'd take the guy who gave his all during the playoffs, and that's Kotalik. He played both ends and I didn't see him float nearly as much as Dumont. Loved Dumont in the corners in the offensive zone, but end-to-end, I saw more from Kotalik.

Let the criticism roll....

I'll bet that Afinogenoz is trade bate. He is good enough to draw interest and a good player and he really wasn't there for the team in the playoffs. The guy was just too pumped. Perhaps he will do better next year after the experience, but isn't that what we kept hoping for from Andrechuck? Took a change of location to get his head straight, maybe another team will see it that way with Max and give us a good steady d-man in return

Archived