Way to screw up the ceremony Carolina!

LabattBlue

Because you allowed 800 friends and families onto the ice immediately after the game, the players handed the cup to each other without skating around the ice with it. The best part of the tradition is SKATING around the entire rink while they pass it to each other, but with the ice looking like a day care picnic, there was nowhere to go.

Nice fuggin' job! <_<

I was thinking the same thing....but I didn't want to overreact.

Was their celebration at the end of regulation not the gayest thing too? They had no idea what to do. They all just kinda stood there and had stupid smiles on their faces. Please, jump up and down, throw the sticks, punch the coach in the face. Do SOMETHING.

Also, I'm sick of the "show the old grisly veteran" obligatory camera time. Glen Wesley won the cup...so what. I don't care.

I'm glad NBC ended their coverage quickly. Today in Raleigh, nobody cares about them winning the Stanley Cup either.

They didn't do a pile on either.

My favorite was that asshat Brind'amour trying to take the Cup before Bettman was done.

It looked like Disneyland down there, all the "friends and family" section had their camcorders out.

PLEASE NHL, PASS A CODE OF STANDARDS TO PRESERVE TRADITION. Keep everyone but the players and the commish/officials/ownership/coaches off the ice and when the cup is handed over get the rug up and get everyone but the players/coaches/ownership off the damn ice so the Cup skate can be done riight.

Is that what that was? I thought someone had yelled into an open mic. Was it on the scoreboard? If so, that's terrible. Yes, a good part of that ceremony fell very flat.

I didn't get it. Why play that clip?

I find it really offensive that the winning team can't wait 2 seconds to put on their new Championship hats. When the Sabres win it all, I don't want to see a hat on a guy until they've shaken hands with the losing team and that team is off the ice.

It's tasteless. I don't know when this "tradition" crept into sports but I can't stand it.

The Canes basically did nothing but hug and watch the ice get flooded with personnel (this is the league's fault) and the Oilers had to wait 5 minutes just to shake hands. That is wrong too. Hug and kiss, go shake hands and then celebrate.

As for Glen Wesley. Whatever, good for him. But how many times do we need to see his wife getting mad at her excited kids? Bret Hedican has played a long time too, I didn't see Kristi Yamaguchi all over my screen as well.

That on ice stuff really bothered me. Another thing that bothered me was, again, those fans just standing there. They went apesh-- when the team won. Good for them, they stood, showed some emotion, and convinced me that the canes now have a fanbase. However, the second the whistle blew, the place went silent. They cheared for the queen song, they cheered when the horn went, and they cheered for the scoreboard prompts/soundbytes. Whatever. I just want to be in the stands for the sabres post game7 celebration... Talk about a 3 hours ...

That 'ceremony' was lame and the lack of skating around the rink did diminish the evening...

Wonder what would have happened if the Oilers won,,,,

effen Bettman still pisses me off...What a smarmy butthead....

..at least the right guy won the Conn Smythe award...IF Brind'Amour wudda won I'd really been pissed...

That 'ceremony' was lame and the lack of skating around the rink did diminish the evening...

Wonder what would have happened if the Oilers won,,,,

effen Bettman still pisses me off...What a smarmy butthead....

..at least the right guy won the Conn Smythe award...IF Brind'Amour wudda won I'd really been pissed...

I wonder if it was an NBC thing. If it was on OLN or ESPN - it would have been no problem if the

ceremony took an hour. It looked rushed - and what was with the confetti. I fail to see how confetti adds to the experience.

Not that I wanted to see the 'Canes celebrate because I'm still bitter and wanted EDM, but c'mon, show the after party in the locker room, interview some other guys, skate with the Cup. What the hell?? NBC was lame and from the looks of it, they don't care about hockey either and had to right to JEOPARDY!! Absurd celbration post party and the Cup in Raleigh makes me wanna puke!

When the Sabres win this thing, I swear the fans will be jumping off the top balcony. There will be screaming and people gonna absolutely apeshit. Buffalo is starving for a championship, and when they win it, you will see a real hockey town that knows and appreciates the trophy.

I don't know how hard you can be on NBC. They were on the air for over three hours. ESPN also used to cut away from the Cup skate to interview players, and I don't remember them showing every last player celebrate. Honestly, the NHL is lucky to be on a national network in the U.S. Beggars can't be choosers.

It's easy to say the crowd would be crazier in Buffalo. Easy, because of course it's true. But how crazy would it be? It's such a draining experience. I'm not even sure I would be conscious. You see how exhausted the players are. They can barely lift the thing. A lot of fans wouldn't be far behind, IMHO. The bigger the fan, the quieter, perhaps. I imagine good ole Dave B. would just be staring at the ice, crying, his mouth opening but only a little puff of air coming out. :)

Now, afterwards, outside the arena and on the streets of Buffalo, I think it would a zoo. I always imagined the party would move quickly to the vicinity of the Aud.

Archived