Rick Jeanneret

\GoBillsInDallas/

My guess would be his son - he has experience in the broadcast booth, loves hockey, and most importantly, shares the same last name -- let's just hope he's not another Skip or Chip Carey and actually can fill his dad's shoes (at least partially)

GoBills, where did you hear this news?

I think it should be someone in Jeanneret's style. People have gotten very used to the passionate, somewhat eccentric call of Jeanneret. I hope it's not some Mr. Microphone with that baseball-style "patter." Go young, go local and go oddball. That's the formula that worked in 1971 with Jeanneret. Young, local and oddball -- the Bulldog? :) Nah, go get some kid screaming his lungs out for an OHL team, and there ya go. I think Sabre fans would be patient with and tolerant of a young voice.

Jim Lorentz has some done play by play, and he's pretty good.

John Gurtler. Bwahahahahaha!

Actually, whenever that inevitable, sad day arrives, that's who I would bring in for 1 season, 2 at most. (Or if not John, someone else (maybe the PA announcer for the Bandits games :P ) that I did not expect to be anything more than an interim guy.

There is little to no possibility of Rick's "replacement" being accepted by the fans. I say replacement in quotes, because I don't know how you do replace a legend.

Since everyone (over the age of 15) already knows Gurtler and (nearly all) think unfavorably of him, why not bring him in for a year on TV and bring the real "replacement" in a year later or on radio that season. I know the Sabres initially started simulcasting TV and radio partially as a cost cutting move, but I can't believe Gurtler and "radio guy" would make nearly as much combined as whatever Rick makes (and deserves).

Give the real "replacement" a buffer of not having to immediately try to fill the shoes of a legend.

I'm not saying this is who I wish will take over, but my guess is it will be Pete Weber who now does play by play for the Predators.

Please God no. He's a great baseball announcer, but I could never tell when the Sabres scored when he was WGR during the 95-96 season.

Well, I for one hope that he still does at least home games for a while and break in the new guy through the road games.

I don't have any suggestions in terms of people but I hope they do us a service and pick someone that is competent. Because in my opinion, there are a lot of really crappy play-by-play people out there. Like some that don't call it with passion or excitement, can't keep up with the action, don't know who's who, or call it like a baseball game. So, whoever it is, even if we've never heard of them, I hope they get someone at least will give us decent pbp.

But, it's tough to follow in the shoes of Ted Darling or Rick.

I'm hoping that his son Mark Jeanneret will take over when Rick retires. It only makes sense.

I've never heard RJ's son call a game, but isn't it a bit of a reach to say he should be hired based on his bloodlines.

I'm sure there are dozens of qualified candidates across the US and none of them has the last name of Gurtler. :rolleyes:

Whomever the replacement will be, that person will have some tough shoes to fill. While it is sad to think about the day RJ will retire, it is inevitable that day will come soon. I am just happy we have had the privildge as Sabres fans to be blessed with such a unique talent calling our games for so many years.

Archived