Hey PTS

PASabreFan

I already had a plan to change my flight from tomorrow to next Friday. I would miss the USA vs. Czech Republic game but I would be around for the first five Stanley Cup games. If the Sabres made it, I was predicting a sweep or Sabres in five.

So I'd get to see Games 1, 2 & 5 in person and then shuffle off to Germany just in time for USA vs. Italia. I would have watched Games 6 and 7 in Germany, preferably Hecht's home town. :D

Oh, what a great problem that would have been. :(

Can I chime in?

Uhm, I would like a stanley cup title a lot more than a world cup title because I would like to see a different team win the world cup this year. I mean, I guess that feeling is not that strong, another world cup title would be great but I have invested a lot more energy and time and money into the sabres than into soccer so seeing Danny Briere hold up the cup would be a lot more special than seeing ronaldinho do it again.

I want maybe Saudi Arabia to win it all. The underdog in more ways than one. Yeah, I'm saying this craziness now but I'm sure it will all disappear once the games begin.

It kills me to see what carolina is doing to edmonton because not only do I think we would have beaten carolina if we had been somewhat heathy but we would have really destroyed edmonton in my opinion. It's so frustrating to watch knowing almost 100% that the cup was ours.

To be watching sabres hockey and world cup soccer at the same time would have been amazing.

I predict a Brazil-Serbia final with Brazil "killing" the Serbs and repaying them for killing Bosnians.

Anyways, I hope everyone watches some of it. See what the rest of the world is so enamored by.

Monkeygirl, PTS already convinced me to watch a World Cup game to see if I catch the fever. I don't know. It's going to be a hard sell. I'm sure seeing a game in person with all the fans and the huge expanse of grass and everything is a thrill, but, like hockey, I don't think TV does soccer justice. Myself, I would watch out for Mozambique. The big dude, Choro, is supposed to be good. Scary good.

I think soccer translates a little better on tv than hockey but it is much better live for sure.

There's always one african country that upsets one of the big giants. That's what I love to see. Teams like france, england, and germany getting whipped by some "meager" nation. Last time around france didn't score a goal at all and was out right away. It's great because it is a true "world cup", unlike things like the "world series" and such. Over a billion people watch these games, maybe closer to 2 billion because everyone loves soccer. It would be great for the US to do well, but I can't say I ever really root for them...but can you blame me?

Penta Campeao!!!!.........Hexa Campeao!!!!??? It doesn't sound as nice as penta so maybe we will just stay at 5. :D

Everyday there will be a game at either 9am, 12pm, and 3pm eastern.

Monkeygirl, PTS already convinced me to watch a World Cup game to see if I catch the fever. I don't know. It's going to be a hard sell. I'm sure seeing a game in person with all the fans and the huge expanse of grass and everything is a thrill, but, like hockey, I don't think TV does soccer justice. Myself, I would watch out for Mozambique. The big dude, Choro, is supposed to be good. Scary good.

PA - hit the nail on the head my friend. Although I've always been a fan of soccer, I'm not a diehard that follows the Euro futbol leagues, etc. but let me tell ya, I attended a US/Honduras Cup Qualifier in Washington, DC back a few years before the last Cup and it was unbelievable. I've been to the "Hull - skate in the crease game" and I was at first Yankee game after 9/11, but this Cup qualifier easily rivaled those games. And unfortunately, a big part was because of the fans of Honduras. They were unbelievable as they consumed the whole upper bowl of RFK. The US fans did populate most of the lower bowl though and were almost as loud. It was an absolutely unbelievable experience.

I think soccer translates a little better on tv than hockey but it is much better live for sure.

There's always one african country that upsets one of the big giants. That's what I love to see. Teams like france, england, and germany getting whipped by some "meager" nation. Last time around france didn't score a goal at all and was out right away. It's great because it is a true "world cup", unlike things like the "world series" and such. Over a billion people watch these games, maybe closer to 2 billion because everyone loves soccer. It would be great for the US to do well, but I can't say I ever really root for them...but can you blame me?

Penta Campeao!!!!.........Hexa Campeao!!!!??? It doesn't sound as nice as penta so maybe we will just stay at 5. :D

Everyday there will be a game at either 9am, 12pm, and 3pm eastern.

I was too broke to travel to the finals here in '94, but I've been to enough US qualifiers (and more than enough mediocre MLS games) to say that it's a sport that I love attending, but I like it better on TV. Love soccer--it's second to hockey for me, and both are continuous-action sports--but for some reason, soccer on television is better to me.

Still looking for a good place to watch the games on weekends. Today it was dead for soccer, but probably that's 'cause of Allentown.

Sorry, monkeygirl, but for me, it's US first, and then England. I have to follow English soccer 'cause I only speak one language, so I got to know that team over the "internets." I won't mind if Brasil takes no. 6, though.

Uhm, I would like a stanley cup title a lot more than a world cup title because I would like to see a different team win the world cup this year.

the US won a World Cup? who knew...? :unsure: :lol:

She's not a US supporter.

It's not like I'm rooting against them or anything so...

Anywho, I'm glad Serbia lost today and not glad Argentina won yesterday. It was so funny to see the elation on the trinidad and tobago side when the game ended in a 0-0 tie with sweden. That's like a win for them.

Two more days for Brazil to destroy Croatia :D

And I'll be watching the USA tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen them play. In 2002 it was hard to watch any extra games with them on at 2am, 4am and such.

It's not like I'm rooting against them or anything so...

Anywho, I'm glad Serbia lost today and not glad Argentina won yesterday. It was so funny to see the elation on the trinidad and tobago side when the game ended in a 0-0 tie with sweden. That's like a win for them.

Two more days for Brazil to destroy Croatia :D

And I'll be watching the USA tomorrow. I don't think I've ever seen them play. In 2002 it was hard to watch any extra games with them on at 2am, 4am and such.

Oh--I know! I just wanted to clarify that your statement about wanting someone new wasn't directed towards the US (or any of CONCACAF, for that matter).

STILL can't find a good soccer bar in the city limits. Sad. Please help me out if you know of one.

I don't nor have I ever frequented bars (mostly due to inability) so I have no idea. I mean south buffalo has irish pubs...but Ireland's not in it this year which really is a shame because their fans are so passionate.

The only place I can recommend is Cafe Aroma next to Talking Leaves although I haven't checked it out yet since the games started. My sister and her friend (also from Brazil) are probably going to be there tuesday for the brazil game. Her friend is trying to find someone to marry before she has to go back in 3 months so she can stay and get her citizenship, haha. I told her to camp out there in hopes of finding someone who loves brazil and brazilians and all that stuff. True story...happens all too often. I would be there and all but instead I get to watch it in canada with my european hunk....life is pretty sometimes. :lol:

Just hold up a sign that says..."Who needs a visa?"

Archived