My DREAM offseason......

navybillsfan

First off, GREAT TIME AT THE GAME THURSDAY!!! It was so great to finally meet PTR and Corp. I had a blast! Sabre fans were in FULL FORCE and we were the show! We owned the joint! Southern folks just dont know what tailgates are all about! We all made it happen! Corp/PTR, every Cane/Sabres game, we need to go!

Now, this is what I will do with the Sabres from here.

SIGN JAY NOW! Do not let this guy hit the market. Sign him and pay him. He played his heart out. He put his body out there for the team and he should be rewarded for his play!

We sign offers to all our young players out there and give them a little raise....

JP is shown the door and I wish him the best!

Grier, great player and made some key plays when needed! A powerplay monster! He is signed back with a raise but we dont pay the roof off for him!

Here is where I get things fuzzy...

Biron deserves BETTER. Team player and did not gripe about his role. BUT... This guy is a starter in this league and I shop him for what the Sabres need on this team, a SUPERSTAR...

We seen too much of this guy/that guy not showing up. This team has no steady threat guys! You do not have friggin team meeting in the middle of a playoff series with certain players needing to step up! That is bullcrap! So here it goes....

Marty Biron is traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Vincent Lecavalier or Martin St. Louis

Tampa has to let one go and they need a goalie NOW!

Now, on the D, Teppo and Rory...

Teppo, the age is there, if he wants to stay, we sign him cheep! (I think he stays!)

Rory, Good luck friend...

Now I shop the D market....

Zdeno Chara

Wade Redden

Now Chara is a big boy and would be great on the Sabres Power Play.... We need the size BUT how long until this guys knees take a dump? He will demand around 4-6 million

Redden.... This is a kid who has it all, Shot/Speed/Skills/Smarts! A all around team player. Great special teams.. 4-7 million to grab this gem...

So I just gave Jay a nice raise and took on Lecavalier/St. Louis contract so I got to watch what I do here. I just saved on Rorys contract and also saved over 2 million on Birons so Its all possible I can grab one of these two guys. So I snab them and sit them down to see where their heads are at and make my pic...

Zdeno Chara is signed for 3 years, 4.1 million a year

Now I plug the market for some small needs and the first is a vet goalie. There will be a bunch so pickin is easy and they will come cheep!

I also have to start thinking of the end of the season. All my crafty guys are off contract.... SIGN Briere NOW!!!!

Well, there it is.... Season ticket sales RISE and everything looks good for a 2007-08 season!!!!

Chara will most likely get 8 mill. from The Rangers.

I'm a bit more of a realist myself, so in MY dream offseason, they resign their current players.

We both probably have the same chance of getting our wishes, which is no chance in hell :D

Sabres will never pickup Chara or Lecalvalier/St.Louis

As much as they would be great to have (except Chara, I'm not sold on the "Gentle Giant" I saw in the playoffs) they do not fit the mould of what the Buffalo Sabres are all about. There are no single stars on the team, and no one gets payed drastically more then anyone else. They prefer to find the hidden gems, players that might not have the big names, but work hard all the time.

You won't see any big name superstars making more then 4 million on this team at any time.

And your dreaming if you think Chara or Redden will sign anywhere for less then 6-8 million. 4 million for Chara while McCabe gets 4-5 from the Leaf a year?

Yeah that is way too much wishful thinking ... it's not just about what they make next year ... guys like Miller, Campbell, Roy, Vanek are all going to keep getting better and need raises every year ... can't have all that money tied up in outsiders ... we'll end up with the old overpaid guys by the end of the contracts while the guys we developed walk. Not to mention no way Tampa would give up either of those guys just for Marty ...

I agree I would love for them to re-sign McKee, but the fact is he is going to get offers that if the Sabres were to match, would make him the team's highest paid player ... again I love the guy but ... he's not the best player on the team. He's just not.

Marty Biron is traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Vincent Lecavalier or Martin St. Louis

Tampa has to let one go and they need a goalie NOW!

:lol: I really did laugh out loud on this

amazing

Wish Vinny would come here that would be awesome

Sabres will never pickup Chara or Lecalvalier/St.Louis

As much as they would be great to have (except Chara, I'm not sold on the "Gentle Giant" I saw in the playoffs) they do not fit the mould of what the Buffalo Sabres are all about. There are no single stars on the team, and no one gets payed drastically more then anyone else. They prefer to find the hidden gems, players that might not have the big names, but work hard all the time.

You won't see any big name superstars making more then 4 million on this team at any time.

And your dreaming if you think Chara or Redden will sign anywhere for less then 6-8 million. 4 million for Chara while McCabe gets 4-5 from the Leaf a year?

I would like to see someone like Zidlicky signed. But that's probably wishful thinking. He would look nice on our PP, and his +/- shows a great improvement over last season.

:lol: I really did laugh out loud on this

amazing

Wish Vinny would come here that would be awesome

He could certainly use a change of scenery, as he's becoming a bit of a head case for The lightning. Whether that's his fault or someone elses, I have no clue.

sorry to do a plug for a product here.. but something that offered me a lot of entertainment throughout the middle of the season was east coast hockey manager... a sim for being an nhl gm. there are mods that give you real player names for drafts and prospects that are not able to be named, but every nhler exists in the game with photos. www.sigames.com a lot of fun for a hockey fix...

The Sabres are going to have trouble signing McKee and they have absolutely ZERO chance of signing either Redden or Chara. These are two players who are going to be part of a major bidding war with teams who spend until it hurts.

The Sabres are going to have trouble signing McKee and they have absolutely ZERO chance of signing either Redden or Chara. These are two players who are going to be part of a major bidding war with teams who spend until it hurts.

And I say let them go ahead and spend all their cap room on a few big name players, that leaves lots and lots of talented character guys lying around for the picking.

Grier, great player and made some key plays when needed! A powerplay monster! He is signed back with a raise but we dont pay the roof off for him!

I assume you meant a penalty killing monster, since he had exactly zero points on the PP this year (reg season and playoffs included...)

100% correct. There are 29 other teams out there, and it only takes one to make a really big offer, and then the player is gone. And someone always does.

Drury was the highest paid Sabre this season, and he'll be the same next season. The Sabres aren't going to sign anyone for more than 3.5 million.

While I don't think it's impossible that they'd sign someone to a higher deal, I think your statement is 95% likely to be the case. I would just add that I think it's quite possible that someone likes Briere gets a long-term deal at a higher salary than Drury. It's much less likely that they bring in someone at that level from the outside.

First off, GREAT TIME AT THE GAME THURSDAY!!! It was so great to finally meet PTR and Corp. I had a blast! Sabre fans were in FULL FORCE and we were the show! We owned the joint! Southern folks just dont know what tailgates are all about! We all made it happen! Corp/PTR, every Cane/Sabres game, we need to go!

Now, this is what I will do with the Sabres from here.

Well, there it is.... Season ticket sales RISE and everything looks good for a 2007-08 season!!!!

Navy, very interesting plan.

The Sabres this past season had a base payroll of ~$28MM and due to the number of guys hanging out on IR for much of the season actually spent ~$31MM.

If we take the $28MM as a basis and assume everyone that is an RFA or UFA (that you didn't discuss) signs for what they made this year (fat chance of that happening across the board), then

if Marty is dropped for a "cheap" veteran backup, the $28 drops to $27 (so far so good) plus Dumont is dropped and Teppo's base drops by $500k, we're down to $25.354 (even better).

Now we give McKee a $1.5MM raise and Grier $150k, and we are back up to $27.

Now we add Lecavalier ($6.875) - $33.425 (uh, oh)

and add Chara for $4.1 (not a chance in heck of him coming to Buffalo for that little, but for sake of argument) - $37.175. (Actually let's call it $37.1 because I forgot that you were planning on saving the $80K the Sabres save by dumping Rory.)

This is not counting raises for any guys such as Miller, Briere, Roy, Lydman, Tallinder, etc., etc.. Realistically, the Sabres would be looking at a player payroll of ~41MM to bring in the guys you would like to see. That would have the team on pace to lose $4-6MM if the Sabres do as well in the postseason as they did this year.

I expect the team payroll next season to be most likely around/just below $32MM and don't see any way they spend over $35MM.

I think the Sabres are claiming they made ~$4MM this season (so realistically it is probably closer to $6MM). I don't expect them to use all of that on player payroll additions, but even if they added $6MM to the $31 they spent (and remember, the initial budget will be $1 or 2MM less than they will actually spend because they will still have to pay players on IR) and they still will only budget $37MM.

While it would be nice to have Lecavalier and Chara (I'd prefer Redden (or Spacek) myself), I just don't see any way in the world that they do that.

Revenues in '06-'07 in the regular season will be up ~$4MM over last season due to increased attendance over the 1st 20 games, which is why I expect base payroll to be around $32MM. Maybe Tom uses some of this year's profit towards next year, but I think there is a better chance that he'll put that money into a rainy day fund to help cover expenses in a season that the Sabres don't get 8 home playoff games and he may also possibly pay down a bit of the operating loss he took initially with the team.

Archived