Vanik's A Friggin Rookie

bob_sauve28

For those of you who want to get rid of the guy just think about Tim Connelly a couple years ago. Vanik has a few years left to prove himself.

No question that he has a lot to learn, but also no question that he has to have time to learn. It's frustrating to see other rookies (Gaustad, Pominville) play a more complete game, but Vanek will learn.

For those of you who want to get rid of the guy just think about Tim Connelly a couple years ago. Vanik has a few years left to prove himself.

Not to nitpik, but Connolly turned 19 during his roookie season, Vanek turned 22 during the past season. There is a big difference between these two ages when being tossed into the NHL fray.

Can Vanek build on a 25 goal rookie season that had it's ups and downs? We'll see.

It's weird. Up until Kotalik did it in '03-'04, no Regier-drafted player scored 20 goals in a season. Now Vanek scores 25 and his head's on a chopping block. Maybe it's the result of raised expectations.

Give the kid another year to continue to develop his game. He hit the rookie wall after the Olympic break.

After all, they can always dump him at the trading deadline. ;)

Eleven, wouldn't Gaustad need 25 goals for his game to be considered more complete than Vanek's? :) Sometimes it seems like Buffalo fans don't like talented guys who score. We prefer the muckers. Maybe we see ourselves in them.

Not to nitpik, but Connolly turned 19 during his roookie season, Vanek turned 22 during the past season. There is a big difference between these two ages when being tossed into the NHL fray.

Can Vanek build on a 25 goal rookie season that had it's ups and downs? We'll see.

I suspect he is being forced to change the way he plays his game more than any of the other rookies. If you look at his stats, he put a lot of shots (35 actually) on the net in the first 10 games. He got 7 assists, but no goals. Those first 10 games were the only time his +/- was postitive. The next 10 games, his shot count was only 24, and his assists were off a couple at 5 and for that 10 games, his +/- was -2. He scored 3 goals though. If you asked which set of games he played better, I think his answer would not be the same as Lindy's. Lindy needs to convince him otherwise. Anyway as the season goes on, the shots don't come near as fast as they did early, and the assists, well he had over half of his assists in the first 20 games (by November 19).

When Vanek is Timmy's current age (in three years) and isn't producing, I'll grumble.

By the way, when Connolly was 22, he had 25 points (goals and assists) and a +/- of -28. That is slightly worse than the numbers Vanek put up. ;)

Eleven, wouldn't Gaustad need 25 goals for his game to be considered more complete than Vanek's? :) Sometimes it seems like Buffalo fans don't like talented guys who score. We prefer the muckers. Maybe we see ourselves in them.

Not what I meant--play the game more completely? Play all parts of the game? Something like that. It's frustrating watching other rookies play all aspects of the game while Vanek plays only one, is what I meant. Vanek still has plenty of time to learn that.

I suspect he is being forced to change the way he plays his game more than any of the other rookies. If you look at his stats, he put a lot of shots (35 actually) on the net in the first 10 games. He got 7 assists, but no goals. Those first 10 games were the only time his +/- was postitive. The next 10 games, his shot count was only 24, and his assists were off a couple at 5 and for that 10 games, his +/- was -2. He scored 3 goals though. If you asked which set of games he played better, I think his answer would not be the same as Lindy's. Lindy needs to convince him otherwise. Anyway as the season goes on, the shots don't come near as fast as they did early, and the assists, well he had over half of his assists in the first 20 games (by November 19).

When Vanek is Timmy's current age (in three years) and isn't producing, I'll grumble.

By the way, when Connolly was 22, he had 25 points (goals and assists) and a +/- of -28. That is slightly worse than the numbers Vanek put up. ;)

Damn, what a thorough and detailed post. I'll make mental note to always be on your side of an argument :P

I saw what I needed to see on the Spezza goal in game one of the Ottawa series. Vanek just let Spezza skate away from him, right to the open side of the net. Vanek was still coasting when Spezza buried the puck.

It's hard for a superstar (which is what he's been everywhere he's played) to play defensively.

That is something that has to be learned.

That play right there shows me why he was benched during a lot of the playoffs, and I don't have a problem with it.

It should light a fire under his butt and get him to give a darn in the defensive zone.

Archived